Which new canti's for a Raleigh Randonneur.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bagpussctc

Which new canti's for a Raleigh Randonneur.

Post by bagpussctc »

Just purchased an Raleigh Randonneur ST 531 as a replacement touring bike .It needs new canti's .Can anyone recommend a good replacement please .
The ones it came with are Shimano MT82 which formed part of the Deore group when the bike was new.

Thank you in advance
gaz

Re: Which new canti's for a Raleigh Randonneur.

Post by gaz »

BR-MT62? What spacing are the canti bosses?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I recently put some Tektro CR710s on my bike. They seem to do the job.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Previous thread, worth a read: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=116645
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

My Dawes Galaxy has boss spacings of 68mm and 72mm (from memory ) Despite various cantis being sold as suitable for older bikes the only advice I could get was "should be OK"
I tried the Tektro 720 with road shoes and even then the angle was wrong and stopping was poor to say the least. I then sent for one set of Shimano CX50 to try and they fitted and worked a treat. now with a set front and back I find they are outstanding.
Nothing wrong with the older RSX ones but I just had an intense dislike of adjusting the post type shoes.
The CX50 ones actually pivot on their own bush which is held firm on the post. All other types I have come across use the post as a pivot.
A friend with a Galaxy has put on calliper brakes and is more than happy with them.
I do have some unused sun tour ones from St John Cycles which I did not fit. Bought as they where cheap. If you should be interested pm me.
I really wanted a Randonner but could not really afford one. I even thought of buying a frame that was available in the for sale section but that was a step to far bearing in mind I am over prescribed with bikes.
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

I also have the RSX ones if you should be interested but really can fully recommend the CX 50s.
I have now glanced through the previous post on this topic and seems the CX range gets a good mention.
I also remember I tried some v brakes and at my Dawes post spacing there was no chance they would fit leave along work.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

How are people getting on with replacement pads for the CX50? It used to be you could only get proprietary replacement pads and they were almost as expensive as a new set of brakes. A quick Google suggests the pads can be bought more reasonably now? Is that typical in 2019?
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
tooley92

Post by tooley92 »

What's wrong with the original ones?

If you've got narrow boss spacing they are one of the best brakes available, can be upgraded with holders for xtr style slot in pads.
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

gaz wrote:BR-MT62? What spacing are the canti bosses?

this is the most crucial question.

If your bosses are narrow spaced (~<70mm) then you need to stick with older cantis or buy a modern canti which fits narrow bosses which basically means BR-CX50 or BR-CX70 cantis, or cantis which use post-mount brake blocks (eg altus) installed at a slightly wider angle.

If you bosses are wide-spaced (~80mm) then lots of different modern cantis will fit and work, of which I'd suggest Avid Shorties are pretty good (comparable with BR-CX50/70, but the Shorties only work on wide-spaced bosses, whereas BR-CX50/70 will work on any boss spacing).

With any mid-arm canti, if you want high MA (so good brake power) then using a low straddle cable is essential, which often means using a traditional adjustable straddle not a fixed length one. Note also that not all cantis work well with all levers, so you need to be clear what levers you have, and what kind of brake power you want.

FWIW if you want to keep the Shimano BR-MT62 (? there is no MT82 model I think) cantis then these can be fitted with 'XTR' type brake blocks, for which there are lots of different inserts. When paired with the correct levers they are a good brake.

If you want cartridge brake blocks for BR-CX50 (thus turning them into BR-CX70) then you can buy 'road' brake shoes (eg ones meant for current shimano 105) with the appropriate toe adjustment within the holder, and fit them with the spacers and longer bolts from the BR-CX50 brake blocks.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bagpussctc

Post by bagpussctc »

Many thanks for all the information . I shall digest it before making a decision . The frame is off to Bob Jacksons for a respray first .
I 'am transferring all the other components from my old machine,whose bottom bracket thread has worn out . This is due to me being far from a smooth pedaler over tens of thousands of miles of riding :oops:
All the steel fittings on the orginal cantis are rusty and in poor condition .The alloy parts have faired better .

I 'am hoping to marry up the new cantis with campagnolo 8 speed ergo levers.
Good stopping power is a must for me on a loaded bike and being able to feather them whilst descending
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

one factor is the state of the bosses on your frame. If they are at all worn then conventionally designed cantis (which pivot directly on the bosses) may be sloppy and it could be a better idea to use cantis which include an integral pivot bushing instead. Avid shorties and BR-CX50 have integral pivot bushings.

If you want to use conventional bushings that are a bit worn, you can wind a few turns of PTFE tape around the bosses; this is a bit of a lash up but it both works and lasts better than you might imagine.

cheers
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

Just to add to Bruce's alternative brake blocks the fit. I use Aztec ones on several bikes and to fit them on the CX50's I just deepened the recess hole on the spacers I use. This accommodates the slightly higher threaded nut of the blocks.
I would also be tempted to get the posts repositioned before the frame is painted to increase the Cantis available or to consider V brakes. On a Thorn bike I use drop bars with campag levers and 105 or 110 mm v brakes and they work a treat. stop on a sixpence job but no better or worse than the CX50's on the Dawes.
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

I've just bought some Tektro CR710s to fit to my 1992 Raleigh Royal, which I think has the same fork as similarly aged Randonneurs. The CR710s will not fit on the front as they overlap the forks and the space between the forks and rims is not wide enough, at least not for the blocks and holders those brakes come with. I am considering whether to try some lower profile blocks and holders, but I think even those are unlikely to fit.
bagpussctc

Post by bagpussctc »

Everyones help is proving very useful, thank you.
The spacing on the pivots are 70mm front and 78 on the rear,measuring from the outside of both pivots.Have I done this right?
Shimano cx70 seem very good value and from what I have read on an old thread on this fourm they will work with Camapagnolo ergo levers.
The pivots are in good condition.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the spacing front and rear is different which means you should either use a set of cantis with post-mount brake blocks or use BR-CX50/70 and expect to use a different spacer front and rear. [Brakes with 'V' type blocks will cope with about 5-6mm variation in boss spacing, e.g. from 78mm (centre to centre) to 83mm, tops.]

cheers