What the heck is this tool for ........ cleaning

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
skyhawk

Re: What the heck is this tool for ........ cleaning

Post by skyhawk »

I was told long pipe cleaners are best

Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

Which is just horribly jarring... they are sprockets, not cogs. Fundamentally different things.

Not quite. Any disc with teeth on it is a cog, the terms ‘sprocket’ and ‘ring’ just refer to the function and position of the cog.

A cog has teeth that mesh with those of another cog or worm gear etc. A sprocket’s teeth meshes with a roller chain.

They are different.

Cog can also refer to the individual teeth on a cog, and could stretch to those on a sprocket as well, but the whole round thing is a sprocket, not a cog.

+1

Hate it when bolts get called screws etc

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

Which is just horribly jarring... they are sprockets, not cogs. Fundamentally different things.

Not quite. Any disc with teeth on it is a cog, the terms ‘sprocket’ and ‘ring’ just refer to the function and position of the cog.

A cog has teeth that mesh with those of another cog or worm gear etc. A sprocket’s teeth meshes with a roller chain.

They are different.

Cog can also refer to the individual teeth on a cog, and could stretch to those on a sprocket as well, but the whole round thing is a sprocket, not a cog.

Nope.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Cog
Popular term for a rear sprocket. Sometimes incorrectly used as a synonym for cluster, which is actually a group of cogs.

Sprocket
……..
The rear sprockets individually are also commonly called cogs or gears; as a group they are referred to as a block, cassette, cluster or freewheel.

Three guesses which bicycle glossary these two definitions comes from…..

Apologies - it was me who first used that pesky "c*g" word above, without even thinking. I will write out 100 lines of "a cassette is made from sprockets and not cogs" as punishment.....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

al_yrpal wrote:Hate it when bolts get called screws etc

Screws have the thread all the way to the head, and bolts have the thread only part way up.
Mick F. Cornwall
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Mick F wrote:

Screws have the thread all the way to the head, and bolts have the thread only part way up.

totally untrue see image

dfgby.jpg
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

They are both screws, despite what the picture calls them.
Maybe more correct would be "set screws" as opposed to "wood screws".

Bolt on the right, screw on the left.
hex-bolt.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Mick F wrote:They are both screws, despite what the picture calls them.
Maybe more correct would be "set screws" as opposed to "wood screws".

Bolt on the right, screw on the left.hex-bolt.jpg

Semantics war: always entertaining!

My own habit is to call anything with threads (full or partial) on a shaft that is the same diameter for it's full length a bolt, whilst a screw has thread (full or partial) that's on a tapered shaft, often with a point. The heads can be any shape or even absent (as with the mini-bolts used to set plunge-depth on a router, which typically have a slotted tip on the protruding end of the bolt).

But one screws in (or out) a bolt as well as a screw, whilst one can only bolt something together with a bolt having a matching nut. So here is another pointer to a bolt being defined by it's single-diameter shaft, as one cannot put a nut onto a tapered shaft screw.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Watch this from 5 minutes and 30 seconds

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5756ki

Interesting
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

Mick F wrote:

And this is a bolt?
Selection_023.png

I'd say bolts go into machined threads on a nut or similar and so can have a square end, screws taper to a point and cut into whatever they're going in to, meaning they have sharp edges to the threads.

But there are probably exceptions to that.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

As I said ....................
Mick F wrote:Maybe more correct would be "set screws" as opposed to "wood screws".
Mick F. Cornwall
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

skyhawk wrote:Watch this from 5 minutes and 30 seconds

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5756ki

Interesting

The convention is to say what it is that the video or other link is linking to, with perhaps an illustrative paragraph or description. I never click on mysterious links and advise that others follow the same precaution.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

al_yrpal wrote:
Hate it when bolts get called screws etc

Al

I suppose it depends on the context.
I can't very well ask the missus if she fancies a bolt can I? :mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I love the way the Americans have got themselves into a mucking fuddle with their legal definition:
https://www.accu.co.uk/en/p/131-differe ... -and-bolts
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

tim-b wrote:Hi

Agreed, but the brush is named for it's inventor, the German engineer Uve Cog
Regards
tim-b

Is this a wind-up? If so, it's rather lovely :)

I tried googling, but was inconclusive.
German engineer "Uve Cog" brush
... is a googlewhack