Do you have a bike cam

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
skyhawk

Do you have a bike cam

Post by skyhawk »

I have a tailgating camera on my car and two dashcams, but because of idiots pulling out from roundabouts and side roads or almost side swiping you I have even considered SIDE cams !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the past, years ago when I rode I had front and rear cameras

Do you have them

I ask because I am never sure where to put them

Handlebars ???

Is it ok on the helmet, due to the stress caused to the helmet by fitting one ? if you come off could it cause YOU more damage to the head if it is on the helmet

On the other hand it sees what you see, you could turn your head to catch a moron motorist or dog walker where as the bike mounted one will not see that.

Finally did you chose it/them on price, quality or visibility, I have GoPros but also High Vis Kodak PixproSP1, but whereas my GoPros take additional bolt on batteries for up to 24 hours, most most only have one battery for 1.5 hours meaning carrying and swapping batteries

Decisions decisions, how about front rear and helmet :( :( :(
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
landsurfer

Re: Do you have a bike cam

Post by landsurfer »

Schumacher Syndrome ... helmet mounted Go Pro driven into brain on impact ...?

Cameras do not stop any accident ... they just allow the pictures of you and your family being wiped out by the drunken HGV driver from Bulgaria to be posted on You tube ......... :roll:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
dim

Post by dim »

I use front and rear cameras .... it's not going to stop the accident, but it's insurance

one of my collegues was knocked off her bike by a taxi ... broken wrist, smashed leg, head injury ... she was off work (unpaid) for 4 months and when she went to court, the taxi driver had his mates testify (they were not even near the accident)... the case was thrown out of court

If a pedestrian steps off the pavement in front of you, and you collide with him/her, you will need camera footage as it seems that some judges don't like cyclists
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

dim wrote:I use front and rear cameras .... it's not going to stop the accident, but it's insurance

one of my collegues was knocked off her bike by a taxi ... broken wrist, smashed leg, head injury ... she was off work (unpaid) for 4 months and when she went to court, the taxi driver had his mates testify (they were not even near the accident)... the case was thrown out of court

If a pedestrian steps off the pavement in front of you, and you collide with him/her, you will need camera footage as it seems that some judges don't like cyclists

No, some cyclists fail to stop when innatentive pedestrians step out. Then fail to take legal advice.
John
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

so, front mounted or helmet ???
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I us a Cycliq Fly 12 front and Fly6 rear cameras. Both bike mounted.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

I didn't even know they did bike cameras with lights
softlips

Post by softlips »

skyhawk wrote:so, front mounted or helmet ???

Never helmet, unless you can find an helmet that has been certified as suitable for the camera you intend to mount. While rare, what happened to MIchael Schumacher isn’t unique*.

For those not aware - the brain injury MS sustained while skiing was due to his GoPro mount punching through his ski helmet.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Generally most only record for 1-2 hrs, ok for a short ride.
The Fly's for much longer several hrs, I have had two rear Fly's and both have failed on me.

Bike mounted for me, helmet mounted seems crazy. As already mentioned injury happens to the best of people/sportsman.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I use my Fly 6 on every ride and it’s still going strong after 2 years. I don’t use the Fly 12 as much as it’s quite heavy, and not as easy to transfer from bike to bike. The Fly 6 has a Velcro strap so easy to move between bikes or take off for charging, although it does take up a lot of room on the seat post.

I got the cameras after witnessing a hit and run collision in an Audax. The 2 riders directly in front of me were knocked off by a car towing a trailer, who pulled in too early after an overtake. The driver didn’t stop and none of the group we were in got the reg no.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Syd

Post by Syd »

TrevA wrote:I us a Cycliq Fly 12 front and Fly6 rear cameras. Both bike mounted.

Same here on my commuter.
RickH

Post by RickH »

softlips wrote:

Never helmet, unless you can find an helmet that has been certified as suitable for the camera you intend to mount. While rare, what happened to MIchael Schumacher isn’t unique*.

For those not aware - the brain injury MS sustained while skiing was due to his GoPro mount punching through his ski helmet.

I saw it speculated soon after the event & it has been repeated many times but I've never seen anything definite published (I did look a few times previously but never found anything). There the danger of something being repeated often enough that it "becomes true" even when it isn't.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
softlips

Post by softlips »

RickH wrote:
softlips wrote:

I saw it speculated soon after the event & it has been repeated many times but I've never seen anything definite published (I did look a few times previously but never found anything). There the danger of something being repeated often enough that it "becomes true" even when it isn't.

It certainly was true in this instance. I worked in one of the hospitals he was treated in.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

landsurfer wrote:Schumacher Syndrome ... helmet mounted Go Pro driven into brain on impact ...?

Cameras do not stop any accident ... they just allow the pictures of you and your family being wiped out by the drunken HGV driver from Bulgaria to be posted on You tube ......... :roll:

Interesting one

Helmet manufacturers blame GoPro as it means that they can absolve the helmet

GoPro on the other hand claim their fittings are designed to (and do) shear off so this does not happen

I do not believe there was ever a conclusive outcome
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

landsurfer wrote:Schumacher Syndrome ... helmet mounted Go Pro driven into brain on impact ...?

Cameras do stop accidents!

I can think of a dozen overtakes and left hooks where the driver has seen the camera and reconsidered

Also a large number of Police Forces now act on camera footage

I have had a number of drivers formally cautioned by Police, and a couple dismissed by employers, in fact after a couple of complaints in Portsmouth, I was treated with an awful lot more caution by many of the Taxi drivers... again positive benefits