Do you have a bike cam

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
skyhawk

Re: Do you have a bike cam

Post by skyhawk »

Whilst I can not say if cameras stop accidents cycling they DO driving

I have a rear tailgating gopro with TWO 12" x 10" yellow on black signs on the car and when the bikes are mounted an A3 sign

Tailgating camera
Tailgaters
ARE REPORTED

This makes 99.99999% of drivers back off, it is funny to watch them come close as they do, then.................. move back

I have been tailgated just twice in three years both reported AND acted on
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

skyhawk wrote:Whilst I can not say if cameras stop accidents cycling they DO driving

I have a rear tailgating gopro with TWO 12" x 10" yellow on black signs on the car and when the bikes are mounted an A3 sign

Tailgating camera
Tailgaters
ARE REPORTED

This makes 99.99999% of drivers back off, it is funny to watch them come close as they do, then.................. move back

I have been tailgated just twice in three years both reported AND acted on

99.99999% of drivers don't tailgate ..... so maybe your cameras are a waste of time .... :roll:
I drive 80 - 100K miles a year ... tailgating is not a problem ...usually it's the police getting close enough for their ANPR cameras to get a decent shot of your plate ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:99.99999% of drivers don't tailgate ....

I beg to differ,almost everytime I drive locally at or just below the speed limit I pick up a tailgater usually a young woman in a small hatchback or an SUV driven by a male 40 or 50 something,and when I say tailgaters I mean 2m from my rear bumper.
Yesterday it was WVM closer than 2m at 30mph with clear sight of a 10 car queue at the red light 300m ahead,why did he think he was going anywhere any faster anytime soon is anyone's guess.Moron
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

You haven't got a huge magnet attached to your rear bumper have you ? .... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

landsurfer wrote:
99.99999% of drivers don't tailgate ..... so maybe your cameras are a waste of time .... :roll:
I drive 80 - 100K miles a year ... tailgating is not a problem ...usually it's the police getting close enough for their ANPR cameras to get a decent shot of your plate ....

Highways Agency warns tailgaters that 'only a fool breaks the 2-second rule'
Drivers are being reminded to keep their distance as road safety charity Brake reveals that 6 in 10 drivers admit to risky tailgating.

The survey, by Brake and Direct Line, also shows that 95% of drivers are sometimes concerned about vehicles driving too close behind them.

The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency’s Chief Driving Examiner, Lesley Young, said:
Keeping a big enough stopping distance is crucial to staying safe, particularly in fast moving traffic when you have less time to react. Always allow at least 2 seconds from the vehicle in front, and at least double this in bad conditions.
Not doing so could have tragic consequences. If in doubt, remember the saying, ‘only a fool breaks the 2-second rule’.
In dry conditions, drivers are advised to keep a 2-second gap between themselves and the vehicle in front. An easy way of doing this is by remembering ‘only a fool breaks the 2-second rule’.

My own observations too show that many drivers break this rule.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Mike Sales wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

Drivers are being reminded to keep their distance as road safety charity Brake reveals that 6 in 10 drivers admit to risky tailgating.

The survey, by Brake and Direct Line, also shows that 95% of drivers are sometimes concerned about vehicles driving too close behind them.

The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency’s Chief Driving Examiner, Lesley Young, said:
Keeping a big enough stopping distance is crucial to staying safe, particularly in fast moving traffic when you have less time to react. Always allow at least 2 seconds from the vehicle in front, and at least double this in bad conditions.
Not doing so could have tragic consequences. If in doubt, remember the saying, ‘only a fool breaks the 2-second rule’.
In dry conditions, drivers are advised to keep a 2-second gap between themselves and the vehicle in front. An easy way of doing this is by remembering ‘only a fool breaks the 2-second rule’.

...and those who see the safe gap as a place to dive through
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:You haven't got a huge magnet attached to your rear bumper have you ? .... :)

It would seem so,it attracts only idiotic morons who think they can bully me along,only to find I go slower :D
EDIT:-
BTW I've been rear ended three times :-
1st one wrote off Mrs R2's Micra the driver who caused it admitted he wasn't looking.
2nd one a young lad in a small HB admitted he was using his phone my towbar meant he needed a new bumper :shock:
3rd was a middle aged woman who was moaning that she thought should've moved forwaed,again towbar meant no damage to my car but her bumper looked decidedly second hand.The best of it was there was standing traffic going in the opposite direction and one of the drivers another middleaged woman,who got out of their car came over to me and said "I saw everything,it's the other driver's fault",handed me her card and said "I'm an insurance assessor".The woman who ran into my car was speechless :D
Last edited by reohn2 on 28 Jun 2019, 3:42pm, edited 2 times in total.
W H Auden
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

reohn2 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:99.99999% of drivers don't tailgate ....

I beg to differ,almost everytime I drive locally at or just below the speed limit I pick up a tailgater usually a young woman in a small hatchback or an SUV driven by a male 40 or 50 something,and when I say tailgaters I mean 2m from my rear bumper.
Yesterday it was WVM closer than 2m at 30mph with clear sight of a 10 car queue at the red light 300m ahead,why did he think he was going anywhere any faster anytime soon is anyone's guess.Moron

You have clearly not understood what I said.

I said that I have a sign and camera so 99.9999% of drivers don't tailgate !!!!!

Or back off when they read it and see the camera

IMG_20190628_093819071[1].jpg
Last edited by skyhawk on 28 Jun 2019, 4:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Skyhawk
I think you've got your quotes wrong
W H Auden
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

No, i said

Tailgating camera
Tailgaters
ARE REPORTED

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

OK I'll leave it at that :)
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Mike Sales wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

Having recently moved to West Wales (and having spent significant periods living here before that) I find the generally good manners of the drivers I come across to be a refreshing change from the hargy-bargers of NW England. Perhaps this reflects the slower pace of life and the much more sociable conduct found in everyday matters? Also, there ain't many cars. I can go for a 30 mile back lane jaunt and see just ten or a dozen, half of which are tractors.

However, Welsh drivers seem chronically inclined to tailgate. I mean most of them, to some degree or other. This is not tailgating of the aggressive kind found in some other rat-runny areas of Blighty but some sort of "want to be together" thing. They aren't inclined to pass when it's safe to do so. But everywhere you go there are near empty roads on which sporadic activity occurs in the form of a small caravanserai of vehicles all clinging to each other as though in anticipation of wild robbermen attacks.

It's a queer thing.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

skyhawk wrote:No, i said

Tailgating camera
Tailgaters
ARE REPORTED

DO desist with that crow-bully tone!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Many years of cycling have taught me several habits or reflexes to minimise risk from motors.
One such is to be always ready for a second overtaker close behind the first.
When the first has just squeezed by in the face of an oncoming vehicle there is always the risk that the tailgater will be already committed to the overtake. To be ready for the possibility is wise.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Cugel wrote:
skyhawk wrote:No, i said

Tailgating camera
Tailgaters
ARE REPORTED

DO desist with that crow-bully tone!

Cugel

????????????????