Cycling in the Lake District

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
liamba

Cycling in the Lake District

Post by liamba »

I’m off on a family holiday to the Lake District in a couple of weeks and am keen on taking my bike. With a wife, little fella and a dog I’m going to have to invest in a roof rack (bike usually goes in the boot). My question is, is the cycling in the lakes sufficiently good to make the investment? We’re staying somewhere between Troutbeck and Trelkeld and I’d be limited to three or four rides of circa 50km at the crack of dawn. Can’t go on a family holiday and then clear off all day!

This might sound daft but I don’t have much of a clue what the Lakes are going to be like and I can’t see me getting a huge amount of use out of the roof rack thereafter so am trying to justify to myself :-) I’m hoping you guys are going to tell me the cycling is stunning and not to be missed!

Cheers
Cyril Haearn

Re: Cycling in the Lake District

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You mean the Troutbeck by Keswick I guess, not the one by Ambleside
Cycling north from there is very good, relatively quiet, but sort of outwith the Loch District, great views from outside, views to Fiends Fell too
In the ld proper many roads are narrow and busy

Do remember to visit the pencil museum in Keswick and the only 'Lake' in the Tarn District :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I've been to Keswick 3 times on walking holidays and I certainly wouldn't recommend taking a bike unless you've got a low geared bike and enjoy climbing hills.The pencil museum is a waste of money so don't bother with that.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Walking boots, rucksack and waterproofs more use than a bike. Get the little guy up some of the modest hills.
John
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Yes and no ..... :D
From a campsite just east of Keswick, you could do a nice 50 km/1,000m climbing loop around the Skiddaw group.
Starting from Keswick, there's a nice loop over the Honister and back over the Whinlatter that is a similar size.
But that's probably it for loops.
Also the roads could well be silly busy ........ :(
Hence yes and no ........ :D

Luck ........... :D
liamba

Post by liamba »

Pleased I asked as not really the answers I expected. Thanks all.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I'd say definitely yes! The area to the north, "Back 'o Skiddaw" is lovely; not too hilly (relatively speaking), and very quiet in terms of traffic. Further north, the Solway coast makes for some nice flat routes, but probably too far away. To the south you've got Patterdale and Kirkstone Pass, though maybe as a there and back.

And from Keswick, you can do various combinations of Honister, Newlands and Whinlatter passes, but that's definitely an early morning activity as they will get clogged up with cars once the B&Bs stop serving breakfast.

Hope you have a great holiday!
F70100

Post by F70100 »

philvantwo wrote:I've been to Keswick 3 times on walking holidays and I certainly wouldn't recommend taking a bike unless you've got a low geared bike and enjoy climbing hills.The pencil museum is a waste of money so don't bother with that.

Lake District roads are too busy for me to enjoy cycling, but might be ok for early morning rides

We went to the Pencil Museum on Honeymoon and really enjoyed it...!
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

rfryer wrote:I'd say definitely yes! The area to the north, "Back 'o Skiddaw" is lovely; not too hilly (relatively speaking), and very quiet in terms of traffic. Further north, the Solway coast makes for some nice flat routes, but probably too far away. To the south you've got Patterdale and Kirkstone Pass, though maybe as a there and back.

And from Keswick, you can do various combinations of Honister, Newlands and Whinlatter passes, but that's definitely an early morning activity as they will get clogged up with cars once the B&Bs stop serving breakfast.

Hope you have a great holiday!

+1
blastroundthehead

Post by blastroundthehead »

Hi, I live in West Cumbria and often cycle around the Keswick area.

1 ... the main roads will be busy
2 ... very few routes that don’t have hills

You can access some Sustrans routes, one in particular is the C2C route that passes through Keswick from the West and out towards Penrith to the East. Probably the flattest cycling route...
Also Sustrans Route 6 which travels North/South and includes a lovely section around the quiet side of Thirlmere onto a newly opened traffic free section over Dunmail Raise and onto the main road for a short section to Grasmere.
“Gravel” routes around Whinlatter accessible from the C2C route.
Note that there have been new cycle paths created around the main East/West road that by passes Keswick, very useful for accessing the quieter lanes and Sustrans routes.

Using Sustrans Route Map you can easily see the quiet lanes and traffic free cycling routes.

Have a great time.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve stayed in that location probably five times now at the Troutbeck CC site and old C&CC site. The
Limitations of being there is the A66. As already stated the great loop that springs to mind is around Skiddaw heading out to Hesketh Newmarket and back round by Bassenthwaite. One of the highlights of that route the old railways path out of Keswick is still closed.
If you were actually staying in Keswick or Penrith then yes there’s loads of rides but being at Troutbeck you’ve to get to either of those places first. Originally I used to go with a MtB but it’s not long until you’ve done all the local routes twice or more.
So in answer to your question I think if I had invested in something I won’t use again then I’d be disappointed.
A good pair of walking shoes stay away from the honey spots and it can be great. First wet day get your fill of outdoor clothing shops in Keswick. Stay away from the pencil museum but do have a look to see what’s on at the theatre. Been a few times and never disappointed.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Rod Goodfellow

Post by Rod Goodfellow »

"We went to the Pencil Museum on Honeymoon and really enjoyed it...!" Which?

Lead in your pencil?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Rod Goodfellow wrote:"We went to the Pencil Museum on Honeymoon and really enjoyed it...!" Which?

Lead in your pencil?

Ah! Lake District and honeymoons. Those were the days, my friends! We went to the Lakeside Hotel at Windermere. Now it's African safaris or the Outback or Bali - all paid for by your wedding guests.

Weather merely dictated what you wore; it didn't stop you getting out and about.
John
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I agree with suggestions for going north and west. Mungrisedale, Hesketh Newmarket, Bassenthwaite and over to Cockermouth offer quiet rolling roads. Going south St John's in the Vale is gorgeous and if you don't mind a bit of traffic and hills you can ride down the west of Thirlmere, a short stretch of the A591 over Dunmail to Grasmere, Ambleside, then over Kirkstone (via 'the struggle') and back past Ullswater.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Road or MTB ?
Personally not worth the investment.
As everyone has noted the roads can be very busy. A very early morning run or evening bimble, outside tourist hours, could be feasible.
You'll never know if you don't try it.