Cycling in the Lake District

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bogmyrtle

Re: Cycling in the Lake District

Post by bogmyrtle »

You could always hire a bike. This would mean you don't need to purchase a rack or worry about the security of your bike when you leave the car.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
John1054

Post by John1054 »

Try contacting Eden Valley Cycling UK group. We have ridden many miles in Cumbria, most good, some somewhat busy. Agree with most of the above posts, but stay positive and enjoy.

P.S. Probably best to avoid Ambleside to Windermere/Bowness.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

bogmyrtle wrote:You could always hire a bike. This would mean you don't need to purchase a rack or worry about the security of your bike when you leave the car.

Probably the best idea so far.

We've stayed at Whitbarrow a few times and always enjoyed the cycling around the lanes.
The roads around Mungrisale, Greystoke, Unthank are all relatively quiet.
If you are into a bit of rough-stuff, then from Troutbeck head south to Dockray and then take the Old Coach Road to Keswick.
It is stunning and we did it in freezing temperatures on touring bikes.
(Shame the old railway path back out is closed, but I'm sure you'd find a way using the NCN routes).

Sometimes, when you've got a young family and time concerns, it's nice just to get out on your own for a bit of a breather.
Don't worry about getting a decent amount of miles in, just enjoy the peace, scenery and bit of freedom.
It's well worth it.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

bogmyrtle wrote:You could always hire a bike. This would mean you don't need to purchase a rack or worry about the security of your bike when you leave the car.

Yup, good idea.

There was a really helpful shop-cum-hire-place on the main road just West of Keswick town centre (a minute's walk). Appealing café next door, and almost opposite the famous - and excellent value - Pencil Museum !!!
F70100

Post by F70100 »

Rod Goodfellow wrote:"We went to the Pencil Museum on Honeymoon and really enjoyed it...!" Which?

Lead in your pencil?

:wink:
Carpediem

Post by Carpediem »

Me my wife and our dog stay in Borrowdale near Keswick 3 or 4 times a year.
Each visit I consider taking the bike,but never do for several reasons..like you I’d have to use a roof rack,and as already said it’s quite hilly so you need a good level of fitness,and although not quite as busy as the south lakes there’s still plenty of traffic on what are mostly narrow single lane roads.
Personally I’d take some good walking gear and get some hills done,which tbh is the best way to enjoy the fantastic views on offer.
I’m looking forward to our week there in August,hope you enjoy yours.
liamba

Post by liamba »

Thanks all for the above. A bit of marital communication and I’ve established we’re a little further east than I thought, just south of Troutbeck, Penrith (who would have thought there were two Troutbeck’s in the Lakes!), staying in Matterdale.

I’d be on a road bike and likely heading off at 6am so don’t see traffic being a problem. Also used to hills so not too worried about that.

Thinking bike hire is the way ahead though. Good suggestion I hadn’t considered.

Cheers!
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Easy access northwards,across the A66 onto suggested routes.Access east onto the lanes,Pooley Bridge,Askham,Bampton area.Try and avoid Penrith,a busy town with one way system,ok if you know the way but not if you,re time strapped.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Is there no possible way of you getting the bike inside the car, maybe taking both wheels off and seatpost out so you can stand it upright in the footwell of the back seat?
We used to just let the dog sleep in the footwell, never bothered with a cage so luggage + 2 bikes plus all our self catering stuff (plus a dozen cases of French wine on occasion :wink: ) all fitted in the back with room to spare. That said it was a Passat estate but we could have brought a child with us, folded the two other seats down and had two bikes, a dog and the luggage. I had estate cars for a long time, I could never bear the thought of carrying my bike/s outside not to mention the extra cost.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

The utility cyclist wrote:Is there no possible way of you getting the bike inside the car, maybe taking both wheels off and seatpost out so you can stand it upright in the footwell of the back seat?
I had estate cars for a long time, I could never bear the thought of carrying my bike/s outside not to mention the extra cost.

Similar, I found I could stand the bike upside down and across behind the back seat of our Zafira. Wheels off, pedals off and bars turned in-line with top tube. Put a cloth over the bike to stop oil getting onto other stuff.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
liamba

Post by liamba »

I was amazed until I read this bit... “This rack cannot be used with bikes that have a front disc brake as it fouls the rack”. But even so, a bargain to get rails and then just add one of the branded bike holders. Thank you.
boris

Post by boris »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Car-Roof-Mounted-Bike-Bicycle-Carrier-Upright-Rack-Holder-Easy-Fit/163559610995?hash=item2614e99a73:g:S20AAOSwXlpccByB

I used 2 that look exactly like this and were about £11 each in the 1990's. They worked fine for years and one at least is still in the garage . They do seem worryingly cheap, but mine were perfectly functional. Assembling it from the flatpack is a bit of a pain and is better with deep socket spanners attached to an electric screwdriver. When I bought more racks I paid a little more for a one-piece rail to reduce assembly time . Restrict front wheel movement with a bungee or it wobbles furiously at speed . You don't know it when you are driving but it looks bad for the bike . Also recheck tightness of everything occasionally on the trip.I usually add another rope or lock to attach the bike to the car so that it cannot fly off into traffic( this is to allay my anxiety. I have never had any kind of problem with my racks.). I also put some tape on the frame to protect it a bit, but beware of the tape making the grip inadequate.
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

I want to say ditch the bike because walking is the best way to see the Lake District, and the roads are narrow, busy, and hilly.
However, if you decide to get a rack, you might benefit from a bit of careful planning and even car-assisted rides for your early-morning adventures (road bike?). If you've got the fitness and gears, riding some of the well-known passes are an experience, with Whinlatter, Honnister, and Newlands especially recommended for the spectacular scenery, and easily within reach of your base.
The lanes to the north of Skiddaw are quiet, but you're not really experiencing the grandeur of the Lakes around there.
Have you considered taking a mountain bike? Gives you a few more options, including a couple of routes over to Skiddaw House, and the track between St Johns in the Vale and Dockray, as well as the extensive routes around Whinlatter.

The Pencil Museum seems to be dividing opinions, but I'd definitely recommend. Other places worth a look around there include the stone circle at Castlerigg, Millicam Dalton's cave in Borrowdale, Bowder Stone in Borrowdale, Puzzling Place in the centre of Keswick Great couple of hours for adults and kids alike if the weather is Cumbrian), The Chief Justice of the Common Pleas (a Wetherspoons pub that was formerly a courthouse/police cells), Aria Force waterfall, a trip on the Ullswater Steamer, and the lakeside walk around Buttermere.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

You could ride the Fred Whitton Challenge Route but might not be advisable if not on the day itself as traffic could be your nemesis.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.