Stupid that I am, advice please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
skyhawk

Stupid that I am, advice please

Post by skyhawk »

Right, 62, type 2 diabetic and not cycled for five years

Thought I would take a SLOW easy ride in Swansea

Ok without the headwind, but returning today VERY VERY HOT (idiot), and a strong headwind.

Sickness, dizzy, had to keep stopping and sitting for 10 minutes.

Yes I know, my fault but advice much appreciated please.

Thank you
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Brucey

Re: Stupid that I am, advice please

Post by Brucey »

take it easy; use the gears so that you are not having to bust a gut. If you have any health problems that might be significant, take professional advice about quantities and types of exercise.

hth

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hamster

Post by hamster »

It's hard to say much without more detail, but a couple of thoughts:
1 I see loads of people recreationally riding with too much clothing and surely overheating. If you are sweating you are overdressed!
2 I suspect that the nausea could be hunger knock. You are probably better attuned than most, being a diabetic, but a blood sugar crash can make you nauseous and totally devoid of energy. Ride easy, remember to eat. New riders tend to be more susceptible as bodies are less attuned to exercise.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

2 I suspect that the nausea could be hunger knock. You are probably better attuned than most, being a diabetic, but a blood sugar crash can make you nauseous and totally devoid of energy. Ride easy, remember to eat. New riders tend to be more susceptible as bodies are less attuned to exercise.

Makes good sense, I have never had to concern myself, up to before Christmas I use my rowing machine and spepper 2 hours a day.

I will carry snack.

On that score is there any particular food stuff proper cyclists here carry

Thank you

Thanks all
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

I have hypertension and have been on medication for many many years. 65 years old, thin and apparently healthy.

I cycle anywhere between 7-12,000 miles a year as I don't have a car and can't cope the the anxiety of public transport. I live in rural Snowdonia.

However, when the temperature gets as hot as it did today 25ºC, I tend to struggle with dizzines, nausea and worry I'm going to black out. The warning sign is my sight gets very 'washed out' and pale - it's then time to stop ASAP for 10 minutes before I fall off.

This has been an issue for many years and even before I cycled everywhere. It's also occurred whilst hill walking in the heat.

It's such a rare thing I keep forgetting to discuss it with a GP. The one time I did (many moons ago now), it was proffered as symptoms of LOW blood pressure.

I'm none the wiser, but try and avoid anything 20 hilly/mountainous miles+ during periods of 25º+

I do make sure I carry an insulated flask of water containing ice cubes

It's definitely not hunger knock/bonk in my case

Suggest seeing your GP
Last edited by deliquium on 28 Jun 2019, 5:09pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

hamster wrote:It's hard to say much without more detail, but a couple of thoughts:
1 I see loads of people recreationally riding with too much clothing and surely overheating. If you are sweating you are overdressed!

Agree, with Hamster
but would add where you taking in enough fluids ?
NUKe

Post by hamster »

skyhawk wrote:I will carry snack.

On that score is there any particular food stuff proper cyclists here carry

Personally I dislike energy products (sugary wallpaper paste or rather nasty bars) so I take things like Belgian Stroopwafels, madeleine cakes, Tracker bars, flapjack.

The sole energy products I do enjoy are Veloforte bars. They happen to be proper food too! https://veloforte.cc/
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Shock to the system.
It was a very strong wind ( I ran out of top gears with it behind me).
Dehydration .... drink plenty.
Lack of food, you will know what you feel like when you get a hypo... but highly likely in combination with dehydration. Carry a snack, I guess you will have had guidance on this, but digestive biscuits and/or a banana are what we have advised in the past as snacks for our type II diabetics.

Keep at it as you gain fitness you will use loose less energy or at least use it more efficiently.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
PH

Post by PH »

Best thing to take with you is a Plan B
Someone who can pick you up, a knowledge of the railway network, the taxi firms that will take your bike (In my experience that's most of them)...
I have abandoned rides for all sorts of reasons, including overdoing it, cycling is meant to be a healthy activity, if you start feeling unwell on a ride - stop.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

WOW great advice

Heatstroke, well I never, almost certain many many thanks
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’ve been riding for more years than I can recall, and my 100Km ride yesterday was tough work even for me, head winds, heat, and hills, do not a good cocktail make :lol:. As has been said, just stop whenever you feel a bit odd, drink, try and find some shade, and crack on when you feel better. Match the intensity of your riding to the conditions, and you should be fine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

In hot weather, putting a bit of effort in, you should be drinking gallons. Multiple bottles. And keep eating. Not too much sugar though. I'm not sure how the type 2 diabetes affects what you should be eating. But a little and very often is normally the key.

If you ever start feeling really hot but without sweating, then you have a real medical emergency and need help immediately.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

For anyone who is not a regular exerciser and is going to make a change, I always think that good advice is to tell your doctor what you intend doing before you do it.
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Such good advice, really appreciated