Seat adjustment

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
skyhawk

Seat adjustment

Post by skyhawk »

I know this is a very personal thing

I have viewed a few youtube videos and looked here but can I ask please

How do YOU decide on what is the best setting for your bike.

Three videos I just watched all showed height but NONE even mentioned tilt

Painfully,

many thanks
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Paulatic

Re: Seat adjustment

Post by Paulatic »

Tilt is very personal but usually start off level and experiment from there. I make sure the bike is on level ground and use a piece of wood along the length of the saddle with a level on the top.
To get an idea of any change sitting on the saddle I roll forwards and backwards from the hips and experience the different feelings a saddle change might give.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Paulatic wrote:Tilt is very personal but usually start off level and experiment from there. I make sure the bike is on level ground and use a piece of wood along the length of the saddle with a level on the top.
To get an idea of any change sitting on the saddle I roll forwards and backwards from the hips and experience the different feelings a saddle change might give.

Of course, thanks, not in the vids, a LEVEL

Then you adjust it up/down front and rear

All they talk about is up/down back/front, all looks impossible to decide
Both I and my son are Autistic. We have aspergers and ADHD, not stupid :). If I sound "blunt" in my posts, please be understanding : I am not perfect. Thank you. Visit https://www.asdinfowales.co.uk/ to learn more
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You could pay good money for a bikefitting :?
Best to read the information from 531colin of this parish (his signature) first
Search these fora too :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Before the forums, and before the internet, and before "bike fit" at a cycle shop, how did we do it?

I've been cycling since Adam was a lad .......... well, for the last 60odd years anyway. How did I find my best position for ANYTHING considering I'm a different size and shape than I was even only 30years ago?

Trial and error breeds experience.

Just try moving something - like saddle tilt for instance. See how it feels when you go for a ride but take some tools with you to adjust, and then try again on the way home.
Mick F. Cornwall
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Mick F wrote:Before the forums, and before the internet, and before "bike fit" at a cycle shop, how did we do it?

I've been cycling since Adam was a lad .......... well, for the last 60odd years anyway. How did I find my best position for ANYTHING considering I'm a different size and shape than I was even only 30years ago?

Trial and error breeds experience.

Just try moving something - like saddle tilt for instance. See how it feels when you go for a ride but take some tools with you to adjust, and then try again on the way home.

I think you are right, ignore the vids etc and take a spanner
John1054

Post by John1054 »

Bear in mind that if you're uncomfortable, adjustment on the road might need several tweaks because you may have already slightly (or severely at worst) damaged the tender regions that you're trying to comfort. Never be afraid to re-adjust several times to achieve as near perfection as you wish. Many tweaks make pleasant riding? :D
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

John1054 wrote:Bear in mind that if you're uncomfortable, adjustment on the road might need several tweaks because you may have already slightly (or severely at worst) damaged the tender regions that you're trying to comfort. Never be afraid to re-adjust several times to achieve as near perfection as you wish. Many tweaks make pleasant riding? :D

I was really annoyed at Halfords, what they did was beyond belief

When I collected my bike they had for NO reason, raised the saddle EIGHT inches and lowered the handle bars one inch
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Perhaps a serviceperson had taken a test ride to make sure the adjustment was just right :?
When I fix my bike I take a test ride, might have to adjust again. Without a test ride, can one get it right?
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Perhaps a serviceperson had taken a test ride to make sure the adjustment was right :?

Hmm, perhaps but it is really annoying, as it can take ages to get it right :(
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Raised the saddle 8 inches?
How did you reach the pedals!!!
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Perhaps a serviceperson had taken a test ride to make sure the adjustment was just right :?

I can understand raising the saddle, but dropping the bars?
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

gxaustin wrote:

I can understand raising the saddle, but dropping the bars?

Me neither, I looked and couldn't believe it, dropped by over an inch
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe they took them out to grease/check and had forgotten to note the positions :?
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

The saddle will have been raised to accommodate the clamp on the stand. If the front was lower they would have had to switch spacers from below the stem to above it. Strange!