Shoes for cycling and general use?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tangled Metal

Re: Shoes for cycling and general use?

Post by Tangled Metal »

True enough. Scrambling / approach shoes from certain more technical brands can actually be quite stiff too. Afterall edging on a thin ledge isn't too dissimilar to pedals in effect.

I guess I'm looking for the more flexible end. Not knowing the mtb shoe sector I've no idea what mtb shoe meets the flexi end of the spectrum. Outdoor shoes I know.

Probably not going to get much time to go round bike shops so probably online purchase. Risky I know. Especially with a narrow heel but std forefoot width. Also any brands needing sizing up or down? Just hoping more experienced might know these things. If not perhaps safer with outdoor shoes.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have never had a cycling shoe that wasn't compromised for walking. And that includes lace-up casual shoes that look like "normal" shoes. If you want to be able to step off the bike then stroll comfortably around a country park, you are probably better off with variants of what you already have. Trainer style shoes designed for general walking, but avoiding any that might be a problem with your chosen pedals.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

pwa wrote:I have never had a cycling shoe that wasn't compromised for walking. And that includes lace-up casual shoes that look like "normal" shoes. If you want to be able to step off the bike then stroll comfortably around a country park, you are probably better off with variants of what you already have. Trainer style shoes designed for general walking, but avoiding any that might be a problem with your chosen pedals.

You never tried the Northwave Mission then. I'm not exactly small and a fast walker/go anywhere type, just a brilliant all round walking/utility shoe, extremely comfortable even after walking a significant number of miles in hot weather but it holds no problems in the cold either.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I cycle/commuted for years and years in trainers. Never ever an issue.
Clips and straps too.

I eventually bought real cycling shoes. Hard rigid black plastic soles. Slippy to walk in, but fine.
Mick F. Cornwall