Commuter for touring or tourer for commuting?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cugel

Re: Commuter for touring or tourer for commuting?

Postby Cugel » 8 Jul 2019, 1:59pm

Brucey wrote:PD-M525 pedals are lasting well, I see!

cheers

Bought sometime in the 90s and used for quite a few thousand commuting miles across The Fylde from Lancaster to Lytham & back before I retired. They still do plenty of miles now and seem bombproof albeit looking a bit like small hand grenades themselves. They are not light. :-)

Cugel

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 8 Jul 2019, 2:14pm

Cugel wrote:
Brucey wrote:PD-M525 pedals are lasting well, I see!

cheers

Bought sometime in the 90s and used for quite a few thousand commuting miles across The Fylde from Lancaster to Lytham & back before I retired. They still do plenty of miles now and seem bombproof albeit looking a bit like small hand grenades themselves. They are not light. :-)

Cugel

If you want to make your M525s feel light, just heft a set of PD-M737s by comparison. It is a bit like having a flywheel attached to the cranks.... :wink:

Like most SPD pedals if you service the bearings as necessary (to keep them greased and play-free) then they seem like they ought to last for ever....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

not4u

Postby not4u » 12 Jul 2019, 10:46am

Tangled Metal wrote:How about steep Scottish hills with a 50-25t gear with two panniers, 8l bar bag, tent on top of rack and a full and over capacity single wheel Yak style trailer? Been there, done that and made it up all the hills without stopping much iirc.

Yes, thighs of steel and like tree trunks by the end of that trip. I even managed a 17mph average speed on the stretch of road halfway from Tobermory to the ferry with that load too.

Seriously I've always been good on hills. Learnt that skill by living on top of a hill with the easiest way up being 1 in 5. But that didn't help because all the interesting ways had a 1 in 4 average slope. I'm certain some stretches were actually steeper.

Later on I used to go to the gym a lot. Most lads there were about upper body bulk. I was about getting stronger for kayaking and hiking. So I used to do 500 situps a workout day and lift 525kg on the leg press machine (maximum weights on the machine they had with the larger max weight stack. I'm weaker now but I still don't need the granny gears like most people. 34-32 is more than enough for me on possibly almost all the hills in the UK. I won't try it up that cobbled hill in Yorkshire but I've certainly done 1 in 4 hills without issues.

I'm sure I'm not alone in not needing the truly low gears.

525kg are you super human?