Squeaky brakes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ndwgolf

Squeaky brakes

Post by ndwgolf »

My 6 month old Trek Madone SLR7 has developed squeaking disc brakes and it’s driving me crazy............any ideas for a simple fix
Neil
ndwgolf

Re: Squeaky brakes

Post by ndwgolf »

the noise is horrific

MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

first thing to try, is clean off the pads. Give them a good scrub and and the discs as well
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

check the centrelock fitting is tight.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pwa

Post by pwa »

MarcusT wrote:first thing to try, is clean off the pads. Give them a good scrub and and the discs as well

Yep. There is a good chance that will work. Hot water with a little washing up liquid, lots of rubbing with one of those sponges for non-stick pans, and do it a couple of times with plenty of rinsing to finish.
ndwgolf

Post by ndwgolf »

Tried the hot water and soap and it helped a lot but didn’t completely fix it.
I also cleaned the disc with nail polish remover. I will ride the bike for a week to see if it eventually goes away.
Neil
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

did you check the centrelock fitting?

FWIW some nail polish removers are not pure solvent, and contain moisturising oils. Needless to say they are not good cleaning agents if they are like this.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spam Fritter

Post by Spam Fritter »

I also have squeaky brakes or rather squealing brakes but in V brakes not discs.
It has only started since the bike was thoroughly cleaned with degreaser and detergent. It has affected both front and rear.
Help please
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Worth checking the caliper fixings as well? Rather surprised to find mine needed nipping up a bit. Until I do a decent ride with the odd steep hill, I won't know if its fixed the awful, ear-splitting noise.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Spam Fritter wrote:I also have squeaky brakes or rather squealing brakes but in V brakes not discs.
It has only started since the bike was thoroughly cleaned with degreaser and detergent. It has affected both front and rear.
Help please

This sounds like (sorry) the pads and/or rims are contaminated with the products you used. Try giving them a good scrub with plenty of plain water, if that doesn't work then "toe-ing in" the pads usually works, this means setting the pads so that when the front end of the pads (ie the front of the bike) makes contact with the rim, the back end of the pad is a millimetre or so away from the rim.
Spam Fritter

Post by Spam Fritter »

Many thanks I'll try those ideas and hope that solves the problem