of a tyre similar in performance to the almighty Voyager Hyper?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
reohn2

Re: of a tyre similar in performance to the almighty Voyager Hyper?

Postby reohn2 » 19 Jul 2019, 9:37pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Vantage wrote:Thanks chaps. I'm leaning towards the Supremes.

I don't think you'll go wrong with those.

I agree. Classic Motown.

:wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Mike_Ayling

Postby Mike_Ayling » 19 Jul 2019, 11:36pm

Paselas were the entry level option from Thorn when I bought our tandem and a few years later my Mercury.

I got about 6,000km on each bike and have installed Supremes on my Mercury.

I cannot notice a difference in rolling resistance between the two but was pleased to see the end of the yellow sidewalls on the Paselas. I think you might be able to get them in black sidewalls.

Mike

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 20 Jul 2019, 7:13am

Supremes;

Endless Love - for those days when the wind is on your back and the tyres are holding air

I'm Coming Out - that inner tube that didn't quite fit

Upside Down - wheel change time

Someday We'll Be Together - when rim and tyre meet

Ain't Too Proud to Beg - when you are not quite sure if a patch has stuck or not

Baby Love - new tyres

The Way You Do the Things You Do - there is more than one way to get them on and off the rim

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - all tyre performance is relative

Stop! In the Name of Love - not another flint...!

Love Hangover - too much inhalation of rubber solution fumes

You Keep Me Hangin' On - for when your rubber solution is working

Ain't No Mountain High Enough - for those days when you have wings on your wheels

etc etc... :wink:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 20 Jul 2019, 9:40am

Very good Brucey :D

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Jul 2019, 9:42am

Bonefishblues wrote:Very good Brucey :D

Seconded :)
I cycle therefore I am.

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 20 Jul 2019, 9:43am

Bonefishblues wrote:Never tried these, but laugh in the face of the Hypers' 120tpi. Has anyone ridden them?

https://conti-tyres.co.uk/commuting-tou ... tact-speed

I'm currently riding the Sport Contact II tyres which are an earlier generation of that tyre. Very impressed - it instantly felt like an extra mph or two compared to my old Marathons. I've had one puncture but that was an enormonail which frankly would have made its way through anything.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 20 Jul 2019, 10:55am

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Very good Brucey :D

Seconded :)

Thirded. :D
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

colin54

Postby colin54 » 20 Jul 2019, 11:11am

Of course nowadays, Diana buys her Supremes solely at Chain Reaction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaYHRx9-v2M
I've been very impressed with the previous version of Supremes in 700c x 28mm, no complaints at all.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 20 Jul 2019, 11:23am

colin54 wrote:Of course nowadays, Diana buys her Supremes solely at Chain Reaction.
I've been very impressed with the previous version of Supremes in 700c x 28mm, no complaints at all.

Back of the net :D

colin54

Postby colin54 » 20 Jul 2019, 12:42pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
colin54 wrote:Of course nowadays, Diana buys her Supremes solely at Chain Reaction.

Back of the net :D

Thanks Keepnet, since you rolled it out initially to Brucey's supreme team midfield effort I was just left with a tap in.
One of my all time favourite songs by the way, a fantastic arrangement.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 20 Jul 2019, 2:23pm

I went on a 30/70 off road/on road ride with my parents last Sunday, some of the off road was very flinty and there were parts that were more like a true MTB route with sizeable rocks to ride over and around as well as steep undulating sections. Tyres were Giant PSL2 28mm front and Rivendell's Panaracer made 33mm Jack Brown Green https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYPAJBG/j ... lding-tyre, they were inflated for road use with a load as I cart two full panniers and small rucksack up when visiting (80/80psi)
That's 95kg+17kg load and bike at 10kg

Both withstood the route though I was a bit worried with some of the sharper looking edges of the rocks and the flinty stuff and whether grip when braking going down some 35% dips would hold out on the loose stuff, needn't have worried as both were fine. This was the first time I'd properly gone off road for any distance and variety of surface with the Jack Brown and given it's the version without the puncture belt (the 'Blue' version has it) I was impressed. On road it's a very nice tyre, rolls supremely well on smooth tarmac but is good when it gets a bit rougher too. Wet grip I find is superb, as it's fitted to my Globe Expert drop conversion it had its first run out for winter racer duties, on ungritted urban roads beset with 'black' ice and trying to get around a mini rbt. it's not so good :roll: (yeah, tight fisted local authority ignoring low temps on the outskirts of the town right next to open fields and water run off :twisted: )

I bought 4 of the Jack Brown's when they were £15 at PX as I'm at the end of my 32mm Specialized Borough Pro stock, the JB sizes up on the 15mm Open Pro to pretty much bang on 33mm, I would expect on a 17mm rim it'd be closer to 35mm. Even at £20 currently I think it's one of the best value and most versatile tyres out there that performs well at everything IME.

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 20 Jul 2019, 4:41pm

Luckily, I've just discovered 2 part worn 35mm Voyagers in the spares box :mrgreen:
They'll do for a while.

Now just waiting for Spa to phone and tell me the frame and wheels are on their way.............exited!
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Jul 2019, 4:57pm

TUC
Riding an occasional split on off road on 28mm tyres is possible as I've done it myself,but riding the same sort of terrain every or most rides is a completely different thing,it puts tyres and rims at risk IME unless ridden very carefully,as well as compromising comfort.
95% of my rides are either 50/50 or 70/30 off/on road respectively some of it similar to the type of terrain you mention or worse and in no way would I ride those routes on anything less than a 40mm(37mm actual)tyres
I cycle therefore I am.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 20 Jul 2019, 5:57pm

I've bookmarked this thread because I will, before long, be in the same predicament as the OP so am interested in alternatives (the voyager hyper transformed the feel and comfort of my Tourer).

But one observation - if the powers that be at Vittoria are aware of this and similar forum threads, then surely they would be aware that people are using the Voyager Hyper as a benchmark - which ought to suggest to them that they should re-intrduce the tyre?

Just in case any Vittoria people out there are looking ...
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 20 Jul 2019, 6:14pm

I'm sure they'd be grateful for the 2 or 3 dozen sales :wink:

Besides, R2 will start selling his stock off at some point, and that'll keep the UK market going for a couple of years.