of a tyre similar in performance to the almighty Voyager Hyper?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
The utility cyclist

Re: of a tyre similar in performance to the almighty Voyager Hyper?

Postby The utility cyclist » 20 Jul 2019, 6:39pm

reohn2 wrote:TUC
Riding an occasional split on off road on 28mm tyres is possible as I've done it myself,but riding the same sort of terrain every or most rides is a completely different thing,it puts tyres and rims at risk IME unless ridden very carefully,as well as compromising comfort.
95% of my rides are either 50/50 or 70/30 off/on road respectively some of it similar to the type of terrain you mention or worse and in no way would I ride those routes on anything less than a 40mm(37mm actual)tyres

I'm only putting forward the 33mm Jack Brown as an option to the Hyper question. Riding on that sort of terrain with such a high tyre pressure on what is essentially a racing wheel with a road based tyre says to me the Jack Brown is everything that a hyper replacement/alternate would be just fine for.

That you wouldn't ride less than 37/40mm is down to you, that's your preference, I would never ride off road that wide with a tyre I'd be using so much on road (though I've ridden 40s/42s but only on road/very, very smooth trails on the odd occasion as they are paper thin), the widest off/on road 700C tyre I actually use is 35mm, I save them for really muddy/gnarly routes.

As it is I don't know your style of riding, your weight, the pressures you run nor the amount of comfort you want and indeed when on the road the amount of speed you want to sacrifice riding such wide tyres. Which undoubtedly you will if riding 37/40s at lower pressures for your off road excursions.
I'm also guessing you've never ridden the Jack Brown's so can't actually offer any input as to how they ride at different pressures/differing terrains or on differing rim/wheel types so your opinion is just based on the fact they're 33mm and your own personal preference, not really much to go on is it?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Jul 2019, 7:44pm

TUC
I've seen a couple of reviews in Jack Brown's,by all accounts they're similar to Paselas,which I have ridden in similar sizes as I have many other tyres .
Have you ridden Hypers?
FWIW,I weigh a lardy 90kgs ATM,I cruise at around 15 to 16mph on the flat on crapmac on 40mm(37mm actual size) Hypers run at 40 front 60 rear anymore psi and they just become uncomfortable without anymore speed.
My point though was that on small section tyres,which need much higher psi's you risk tyres and rims.I've ridden some pretty rough tracks on 40mm Hypers at a much faster than I could on smaller section tyres.
Hypers being slick don't like muddy conditions but on dry offroad tracks they do just fine and similarly so on UK crapmac.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

PH

Postby PH » 20 Jul 2019, 8:49pm

rmurphy195 wrote:But one observation - if the powers that be at Vittoria are aware of this and similar forum threads, then surely they would be aware that people are using the Voyager Hyper as a benchmark - which ought to suggest to them that they should re-intrduce the tyre?
Just in case any Vittoria people out there are looking ...

I'm sure they're very aware of their sales figures, have you ever seen them without at least a 30% discount? Whatever the merits or otherwise of the tyres themselves, it's obvious they're not good sellers. Maybe they'll be back in a few months with a slightly revised look and marketed to appeal to some group other than CTC folk.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 20 Jul 2019, 8:56pm

PH wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:But one observation - if the powers that be at Vittoria are aware of this and similar forum threads, then surely they would be aware that people are using the Voyager Hyper as a benchmark - which ought to suggest to them that they should re-intrduce the tyre?
Just in case any Vittoria people out there are looking ...

I'm sure they're very aware of their sales figures, have you ever seen them without at least a 30% discount? Whatever the merits or otherwise of the tyres themselves, it's obvious they're not good sellers. Maybe they'll be back in a few months with a slightly revised look and marketed to appeal to some group other than CTC folk.

Vittoria Gravel Hyper Hypers. Hot cakes.

Marketing genius, me :lol:

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 20 Jul 2019, 8:57pm

Bonefishblues wrote:I'm sure they'd be grateful for the 2 or 3 dozen sales :wink:

Besides, R2 will start selling his stock off at some point, and that'll keep the UK market going for a couple of years.

:lol:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Jul 2019, 10:36pm

Bonefishblues wrote:Vittoria Gravel Hyper Hypers. Hot cakes.Fatang,Fatang Biscuit Barrel

Marketing genius, me :lol:

:D
I cycle therefore I am.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Jul 2019, 10:38pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
........Besides, R2 will start selling his stock off at some point, and that'll keep the UK market going for a couple of years.

They'll have to prise them from my cold dead hands(better said in the voice Charlton Heston) :wink:
I cycle therefore I am.

tim-b

Postby tim-b » 21 Jul 2019, 6:54am

Hi
I have a pair of new Vittoria Voyager Hyper 40-622 folders (still boxed) with suitable presta valve inner tubes (also boxed) if anyone's interested.
They were intended for another bike but I'm going for a more gravel/cross tyre on that now
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 21 Jul 2019, 7:47am

tim-b wrote:Hi
I have a pair of new Vittoria Voyager Hyper 40-622 folders (still boxed) with suitable presta valve inner tubes (also boxed) if anyone's interested.
They were intended for another bike but I'm going for a more gravel/cross tyre on that now
Regards
tim-b

Strap those arms on, because people will have 'em off :D

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 21 Jul 2019, 11:20am

tim-b wrote:Hi
Regards
tim-b

Me me me!
Pm sent.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 21 Jul 2019, 12:46pm

I'm suspecting someone has already taken advantage of Timb's offer :)

PS anyway I still have six pair stashed in a safe dark place :D
I cycle therefore I am.

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 21 Jul 2019, 2:17pm

Hope my 35's last a while then :(
Bill

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 21 Jul 2019, 2:23pm

Vantage wrote:Hope my 35's last a while then :(

I was meaning yourself,did you miss them?
I cycle therefore I am.

tim-b

Postby tim-b » 21 Jul 2019, 3:04pm

Hi
PM sent
£30 inc tubes + postage at extra cost (whatever that costs)
Regards
tim-b
hyper_sm.JPG
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 21 Jul 2019, 4:06pm

reohn2 wrote:
Vantage wrote:Hope my 35's last a while then :(

I was meaning yourself, did you miss them?

Ah, gotcha :)
Not yet I hope.

Plan B is to hide in the pushes, wait till you come round the corner and then pounce on you in a ninja style and steal your Hypers.
Bill