Anyone Using OsmAnd - Voice Prompts Screen Off

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Witterings

Anyone Using OsmAnd - Voice Prompts Screen Off

Post by Witterings »

I installed OsmAnd quite a while back but the latest version on their website says there won't be any voice prompts if the screen is off or if you exit exit the app window on versions 3.2 or later at the request of google and I'd imagine it means it just eats battery and will kill your phone fairly quickly.

Is anybody else using it and found any sort of work around, I'm going on my 1st ever mini tour next week and was hoping to use this for navigation but that may be a killer.

EDIT: Meant to say it's on an Android phone
Paulatic

Re: Anyone Using OsmAnd - Voice Prompts Screen Off

Post by Paulatic »

In an earlier thread it recommends having the screen turn on before prompt
mjr wrote:
Woodtourer wrote:Are you saying that Osmand has this function? We use Osmand but how do you " turn" this on?

Menu: Directions: Settings (cog icon): Navigation Settings (bottom of list): Turn screen on (bottom of list): pick a time in seconds for how long to turn it on at a turn.

Has it lost this function?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

Paulatic wrote:In an earlier thread it recommends having the screen turn on before prompt
mjr wrote:
Woodtourer wrote:Are you saying that Osmand has this function? We use Osmand but how do you " turn" this on?

Menu: Directions: Settings (cog icon): Navigation Settings (bottom of list): Turn screen on (bottom of list): pick a time in seconds for how long to turn it on at a turn.

I'm not sure I'll give this a try and see what happens.

I was testing it the other night but with an older version from pre the change on an iphone and either the screen stayed on permanently or if you came out of the app it stopped functioning altogether ... I was going through their website and came across the comment that the newer versions stopped voice prompts and I've just bought a new Android so had the latest download.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Witterings wrote:I was going through their website and came across the comment that the newer versions stopped voice prompts and I've just bought a new Android so had the latest download.

Please could you paste a link to that comment so I can follow it up. Obviously I don't want to upgrade to such a version.
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

Paulatic wrote:In an earlier thread it recommends having the screen turn on before prompt
mjr wrote:

It's there but it's greyed out so I can't set a time .... I did have it installed and uninstalled and that was live but in trying to go back to an older version (which didn't work) and reinstalling it all within 48 hrs that options no longer available ... there was another option which was swipe hand over screen to make the app active which would have been really useful as well but can't find that anywhere in the settings menus now.

@mjr .... If you scroll down to the last paragraph just above the 1st images / screenshots it's in there
https://osmand.net/features/navigation#Voice_guidance
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

I think this is partially me being a numpty !!!!!!

The greyed out switch on when approaching a turn I think means I can't deactivate it and under that is the option of how long to turn the screen on for and i was looking in the wrong place for the proximity sensor.

Think I'll just test it some more over the weekend and see if it works as I'd like and if not I've just found they have the older versions available on their website under downloads.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but you could set Osmand screen to come on before a turn and then turn itself off again until the next?
Is this not available in the newer versions? I've found it invaluable in extending battery life.
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

francovendee wrote:Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but you could set Osmand screen to come on before a turn and then turn itself off again until the next?
Is this not available in the newer versions? I've found it invaluable in extending battery life.

I did have it set to re-announce voice commands every minute and it just kept switching the screen on virtually continually ... I've now switched it just to announce once but extended the amount of time the screen's on from 5 seconds to 20 seconds ... hopefully that'll help although it does seem overly enthusiastic in terms of announcing just a slight bend in the road which seems a bit unnecessary.

Out for a longer ride tomorrow so will see how I get on with it with the current settings.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Witterings wrote:
francovendee wrote:Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but you could set Osmand screen to come on before a turn and then turn itself off again until the next?

I did have it set to re-announce voice commands every minute and it just kept switching the screen on virtually continually ... I've now switched it just to announce once but extended the amount of time the screen's on from 5 seconds to 20 seconds ... hopefully that'll help although it does seem overly enthusiastic in terms of announcing just a slight bend in the road which seems a bit unnecessary.

Out for a longer ride tomorrow so will see how I get on with it with the current settings.

Agree with you about it announcing turns when in fact it's just a wiggle in the road. It can be quite confusing at times but still a very good navigation tool for cycling.
climo

Post by climo »

Osmand have said that the screen on & off feature on the latest version 3.35 won't work as Android now prevents it. They advise downloading the previous 3.2 version and running them side by side using the same tracks folders etc. Works for me.
https://github.com/osmandapp/Osmand/issues/6675
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yes, I start Osmand+ 3.4.4 on Android. Press navigate following the imported gps track, press the power button to switch the screen off and pop the phone in my pocket and am guided by the voice prompts on my Moto G. It doesnt hammer the battery.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

Have just used this for the mini tour and all I can say is it's a blinding piece of kit ... absolutely brilliant!!!!

All 3 of us said the whole trip would have been an awful lot harder to do without it.

Minor niggles .... you set the screen to follow direction as opposed to always North or compass and it too easily switches back and also after the screen coming on and then going off (set to 5 seconds) there are some parts when it stays on an awful lot longer.

Anyway those very minor points aside, I believe on the website you can make a voluntary contribution which I'll definitely be doing as I found it totally invaluable and hopefully will do for many years to come!
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Witterings wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 11:05pm it does seem overly enthusiastic in terms of announcing just a slight bend in the road which seems a bit unnecessary.
I'm using osmand at the moment, and would really like to stop it doing this to reduce battery use. It obviously knows that they are wiggles, as it says "bear left/right" rather than "turn left".

My modus operandi is to generate a route in cycle.travel, export as gpx, import the gpx into osmand, then follow the gpx route in osmand.

It occurs to me that this could be unnecessary info being spat into the gpx by cycle.travel.
Does anyone know how i could make this work better?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I don't think it's a Cycle Travel problem. I get similar things with other GPX tracks. An instruction to turn is unnecessary as the road you are on is just bearing to the left or right.