Van Nicholas Yukon

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
newpot

Van Nicholas Yukon

Postby newpot » 19 Jul 2019, 4:36pm

Hi, can anyone help, I have a 2010 VN Yukon, I am trying to find out what the forks are made of, I suspect it's carbon alloy. I have asked VN but they haven't replied.

Thanks for any anticipated help

Brucey

Re: Van Nicholas Yukon

Postby Brucey » 19 Jul 2019, 11:32pm

photo?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 20 Jul 2019, 7:56am

Take the topcap off, you'll see then if it's a compression bung or a starnut.
[color=#FF0000][/color]

newpot

Postby newpot » 20 Jul 2019, 8:38am

Hi, it's a star nut headset, what does that mean?

pwa

Postby pwa » 20 Jul 2019, 8:56am

newpot wrote:Hi, it's a star nut headset, what does that mean?

That means it is far more likely to have an alloy steerer. Which is what I would have expected. Does it matter?

PT1029

Postby PT1029 » 20 Jul 2019, 9:08am

Not sure what you mean by"carbon alloy" (as a metallurgist that's steel to me!), or do you mean carbon fiber?
Feel the fork blades. Metal (steel, titanium or alumimium) will feel cold (conducts heat from your hand), carbon fiber does not so will feel warm(ish)/not cold. (I'm assuming not a scorching hot summers day at this point).
Aluminium drop outs (fork ends) means alloy or carbon fiber blades, steel drop outs mean steel fork blades.
Titanium fork blades (assuming the might do these) are probably not painted.
Undo the top cap allen bolt (top of forks) and remove the top cap to look at the steerer (if handle bar stem bolts are kept tight, you won't alter the bearing adjustment). Peer inside to see if steel/aluminium/carbon fiber steerer tube. If it is a star fangled washer inside, its a metal steerer. If squidged up rubber or similar, it'll be a carbon fiber steerer.
A magnet also helps to determine if steel or not.

slowster

Postby slowster » 20 Jul 2019, 9:15am

newpot wrote:Hi, it's a star nut headset, what does that mean?

Star nuts should only ever be used in metal steerers. If you can see the star nut, then you should also be able to see the steerer, and it should be obvious whether it is aluminium alloy or carbon fibre. A star nut should never be used in a carbon steerer (unless it is of the relatively rare type which has an aluminium sleeve bonded inside the steerer) because of the damage that it would do to the carbon.

In the (hopefully very unlikely) event that you have a carbon steerer with a star nut in it, I would advise replacing the forks.

pwa

Postby pwa » 20 Jul 2019, 9:18am

If you do take the top cap off, don't overtighten it when you put it back. The bearings don't like that.

The most likely composition is carbon fibre fork blades with aluminium alloy drop-outs (slots for the wheels) and aluminium alloy fork crown (bridge between the blades) with aluminium alloy steerer tube. So long as it is all glued together properly it will work about as well as a completely carbon fibre construction. And it will be a little less easy to damage with incorrect adjustment.

KM2

Postby KM2 » 20 Jul 2019, 9:57am

If you do take the top cap off, don't overtighten it when you put it back. The bearings don't like that.

If you don’t undo the handlebar stem, the top cap won’t effect the bearings.

robgul

Postby robgul » 20 Jul 2019, 8:04pm

Err - the OP is asking about the forks (I assume the blades?) - all the stuff about star nuts and top caps doesn't matter.

Forks with carbon blades, as suggested, either have a carbon or alloy steerer.

Van Nic sell the frame on its own (i.e. not with forks) and/or with various fork options - so the forks could be anything. My own Van Nic Yukon and Ventus machines both have non-VN forks (both frames, with forks, were purchased from two different dealers)

So, Van Nic wouldn't know the answer to the question.

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 20 Jul 2019, 9:24pm

The Bareos frame comes with forks which are carbon.
[color=#FF0000][/color]

geomannie

Postby geomannie » 20 Jul 2019, 9:40pm

I used to have a VN Yukon of similar vintage. The fork was branded VNT (Van Nicholas Technology I think) & as i remember had an alloy steerer, carbon blades and alloy dropouts.
geomannie

Paul Smith SRCC

Postby Paul Smith SRCC » 24 Jul 2019, 1:56pm

If it is the original Van Nicholas forks then they had carbon fibre legs with alloy steerer and crown, as are the current Van Nicholas caliper forks used on the Yukon. Note some UK dealers often fitted cheaper forks from different manufactures so look for the Van Nicholas branding

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 24 Jul 2019, 4:24pm

Posting pics of titanium touring bikes isn't helpful to my bank balance!!!