E Bike - speeding?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Oldjohnw

Re: E Bike - speeding?

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I cycle to work through town with lots of motrons emerging/crossing the cycle path, I go slowly for safety reasons
Many others, with and without motors, cycle too fast
I think 12 kmh would suffice actually

Limiting the motor to 12kph will not limit the speed of the bike.
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Ivor Tingting wrote: ........I am done and out.

One must be glad for small blessings :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
peterb

Post by peterb »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I cycle to work through town with lots of motrons emerging/crossing the cycle path, I go slowly for safety reasons

Do you restrict your speed to 12kph? I hope so!
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

That argument is absurd because on a Pedelec you can cycle as fast as you like, and with that other absurd thread started with your other moderated

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

peterb wrote:

I mean, the motor should stop helping when one reaches 12 kmh
Average speed is about 13 kmh, all with muscle power. And gravity :?
Top speed is maybe 25 kmh, there are only a couple of short stretches where one may 'safely' go so fast

If the assistance stops at 11 kmh the extra weight of an e-bike, the frail e-bike riders would surely get nowhere near 30 kmh, except downhill :?

I hope I never use a motorised cycle
I love feeling tired :wink:
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 10 Aug 2019, 2:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
peterb

Post by peterb »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
peterb wrote:

Average speed is about 13 kmh, all with muscle power. And gravity :?
Top speed is maybe 25 kmh, there are only a couple of short stretches where one may go so fast

- so why seek to restrict me to a maximum assistance speed of 12 kph?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Because e-bikes are apparently not about going fast, as others claim elsewhere, I do not understand that :?
If you want to go faster you can pedal

E-bikes are bulky and heavy too, more disadvantages for frail old riders
E-bikes should be a last resort when one can no longer use a standard cycle,there should be very few €-bikes
peterb

Post by peterb »

Gosh! I never thought of myself as a 'frail old rider'. I just thought my legs were bxggxred. I must be more careful - thanks!
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Vorpal wrote:
Ivor Tingting wrote:
As a moderator I would have thought you of all people would be aware of CyclingUK's policies particularly on a thread you are actively contributing to.
I am no longer a Cycling UK member. The forum is run by volunteers, not Cycling UK staff.

Ivor Tingting wrote:There is a really NASTY current of ridicule and humiliation in this thread from people who advocate and promote electric bikes toward those principally me who wish maintain and protect traditional cycling against imposter electric bikes becoming the norm. First point you are NOT cycling, so don't even attempt to justify that you are. Even if I did ride an Ebike which shall never ever happen I wouldn't even have the nerve to infiltrate traditional cycling and claim I still was. The shame. I couldn't do it. Perhaps it is you electric bike riders who should clear off and find some where else to revel in your sloth.
While I have moderated a couple of posts, I have some difficulty with you telling your fellow forumites that they are lazy, not cyclists, etc. and should clear off and go revel in their sloth, yet complain about others. Do you honestly think it is not nasty humiliation of a worse sort to say to a disabled cyclist that they are not a cyclist at all but stand in juxtaposition to all that cyclists have fought for? That they have 'infiltrated traditional cycling'? Really? When disabled cyclists already have to fight to have their needs as cyclists recognised, they should also have to fight to simply be recognised as cyclists? When they are so often forgotten in planning that includes stupid barriers, no cycling zones, and 'cyclists dismount' signs? You want to make them fight to merely be accepted as cyclists?!? There are very few post on this forum that really make me feel angry, but this is one of them.

Ivor Tingting wrote:I am done with this. It is upsetting and depressing to find cycling has been hijacked by the lazy brigade who just want to legitimise their motorised transport within cycling siting lame health issues. Please allow yourselves to be medically assessed to qualify for an electric bike. So many people I see riding electric bikes are perfectly fit and healthy and riding far in excess of the 15mph the motors should be limited to. I cannot believe I am the only traditional cyclist that feels this way. There must be other cyclists like me but who are too scared to speak up for fear of being bullied by the ever bigger and stronger Ebike mafia.

I doubt that you are the only cyclist who feels that way, but I sincerely hope that you are few and far between. As for people going too fast, antisocial behaviour needs to be dealt with as such. It doesn't matter what form of transport. Personally, if someone is going to behave like a ****, I'd far rather they did it on an ebike than in a car.

Ivor Tingting wrote:I have tried highlighting the environmental damage that the manufacture of Ebikes and their components cause the environment not to mention their reliance on continuous charging from the national grid, but this is just ignored. The only conclusion I can draw is that electric bike riders do not give a crap about the environment because if they did they wouldn't buy or ride them. Period. Cars have nothing to do it. People have a choice traditional all your own effort bicycle or electric bike. Good choice or bad choice. But if you make the bad choice don't claim you are still a cyclist as you are NOT. You ride an electric bike. The antithesis of traditional cycling.

While it true that folks who can ride normal bikes would do better both for themselves and the environment to do so, rather than ebikes, all of the folks that I know who could ride normal bikes, have replaced their cars with ebikes, rather than their bikes. That's got to be better for the environment, not worse. I don't have an ebike, so it's not something I have researched in depth. Very little boils down to good choice or bad choice; it is more nuanced than that.

I'll summarise that for you:

"On yer bike"! :-)

Cugel, a highly traditional cyclist
edited by moderator
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Because e-bikes are apparently not about going fast, as others claim elsewhere, I do not understand that :?

E-bikes should be a last resort when one can no longer use a standard cycle,there should be very few €-bikes

The ladywife's e-bike probably weighs rather less than your unassisted item. She herself almost certainly weighs a lot less than you do. Are we now to restrict not just the fast ordinary cyclists but the heavier variety? The latter might mean that you will be forbidden the bicycle. :-O

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

"On yer bike! '
Care to do that with other posts, Cugel? There are so many long nested quotes I cannae be bothered to read, it would really help if you could sum them up in a few words
Diolch

PS
The Eisteddfod Cenedlaethol is in Tregaron next year!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cugel wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Because e-bikes are apparently not about going fast, as others claim elsewhere, I do not understand that :?

The ladywife's e-bike probably weighs rather less than your unassisted item. She herself almost certainly weighs a lot less than you do. Are we now to restrict not just the fast ordinary cyclists but the heavier variety? The latter might mean that you will be forbidden the bicycle. :-O

Cugel

Indeed I weigh much more than Mrs Cugel but there are more hills in Brechfashire than here, please to put that into your calculations
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel

Indeed I weigh much more than Mrs Cugel but there are more hills in Brechfashire than here, please to put that into your calculations

I have calculated that the 0-250 watts offered by Mrs Cugel's ebike can be calibrated in the output by just the amounts of thrust she happens to make with her legs as we ascend various grades of hills, such that I am always a-gasp upon her back wheel (or losing it). This is good in many ways, such as making her feel dominant (!) and keeping me fit enough to deal with the little rascal elsewhere and elsewhen.

Also, the average speeds over our whole rides are in double rather than single figures. This means we have time to get to the far cafes and back before bedtime.

I am going to add another e-bike advantage: annoying a dingbat when we pass him. :-)

Now, I feel you should ride a-one so you can type from experience instead of those queer notions about the e-bike that have somehow entered your memepot. I feel you will be enlightened by such experience and may even manage recognition of dingbatism when you read it.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

peterb wrote:Gosh! I never thought of myself as a 'frail old rider'. I just thought my legs were bxggxred. I must be more careful - thanks!

With some folks it's only their legs that are bu@@red,unfortunately with others it's their heads that are completely an utterly bu@@ered :roll: :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Ivor Tingting wrote: ........I am done and out.

One must be glad for small blessings :D

I earnestly hope he comes back!