E Bike - speeding?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fastpedaller

E Bike - speeding?

Post by fastpedaller »

Having seen several E bikes recently with their proud owners who look like they're pleased with the product has convinced me that the E bike can encourage some to use a bike (of sorts) rather than a car for short journeys. Anyway.... to my question:-
I'm sure it's unlikely to happen, but I believe an Ebike is legally restricted to 15mph - but what if the rider is pedalling with no electrical assistance? can he/she still be pulled for 'speeding'?
PH

Re: E Bike - speeding?

Post by PH »

No - it's a bicycle, the same rules apply.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Breaking the speed limit is the preserve of the drivers of mechanically propelled vehicles. ie they need an engine be it internal combustion or electricity.

Therefore, a pedal cycle cannot break a speed limit.
Ebikes are classed as pedal cycles. If they weren't you would need a licence and a crash helmet.

Cycling furiously is a different thing to breaking speed limits.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I think that the OP may have meant the 15mph limit for e-bikes.
I think anyone who could do 30 mph on an e-bike without electric assistance would be a useful rider.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I reckon I could get up above 45mph on one down Gunnislake Hill, or even 50mph down Pork Hill off Dartmoor.
If I can do it with a heavy Raleigh Chopper, I can do it with a heavy Ebike. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

fastpedaller wrote:I'm sure it's unlikely to happen, but I believe an Ebike is legally restricted to 15mph - but what if the rider is pedalling with no electrical assistance? can he/she still be pulled for 'speeding'?

Only the *assistance* is restricted. That is, above 15mph it has to be only under the users (pedalling) power. They aren't (under EAPC legislation) allowed to provide propulsion at speeds greater than 15 mph (there is a little tolerance, but I don't recall how much, maybe 10%?)

No speed limits apply to bicycles, including ebikes, unless it is classed as a motor vehicle, which it could be if it is over 250 watts or propels over 15 mph (plus tolerance).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Vorpal wrote:Only the *assistance* is restricted. That is, above 15mph it has to be only under the users (pedalling) power.

and GRAVITY. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Mike Sales wrote:I think that the OP may have meant the 15mph limit for e-bikes.
I think anyone who could do 30 mph on an e-bike without electric assistance would be a useful rider.

I can do that for a minute or two on the ladywife's ebike. Not all ebikes are gert hefty & up-beggy things with enormous inertia, tha knows. Hers is a racey bike with a motor/battery that can be dropped out to leave an ordinary bike. Also, the motor disengages when not contributing so no drag from that.

For those who just want to keep up or retain their normal velocities of yesteryear, now that they are stiff i' the joint, such a bike is just the ticket. Even though it'll enhance your leg thrusts, it never replaces them. You must work hard to get more assistance. Tootling means the motor only tootles too.

https://www.focus-bikes.com/gb_en/95642-paralane-9-6

Wait for the 20-30% off offers if you fancy a-one. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
whoof

Post by whoof »

The speed limiter which cuts out the motor above 24 kph/15mph relies on a wheel sensor.
There are YouTube videos showing you how to move the sensor and attach a magnet to the inside of the crank so it looks to this for the speed. This then under-reads the speed and unless you ride in a really low gear and spin like a whisk the limiter won't cut in.

There are also plenty of imports from China without limiters and with motors with a power of greater than 250 w.
Last edited by whoof on 23 Jul 2019, 2:11pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I can and have done 45 mph with my Pedelec (which is an ordinary hybrid with a front hub motor added years later). But it was nothing to do with it being electrically assisted. I had left all motor support behind ages ago. The main assistance was gravity.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I think some one was done for cycling furiously
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote:I think some one was done for cycling furiously
Mick F wrote:Cycling furiously is a different thing to breaking speed limits.
Yes, it's still a valid charge and enforced too.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'm no expert, but a couple of chaps at a pub I visit have very expensive ebikes. One is a Specialized that looks like a 29er full sus MTB. I'm told it cost 6 grand.

They say they have 'chipped' them and they are now capable of speeds far in excess of 15 mph. I heard speeds of +40 mph mentioned, but haven't witnessed.
RickH

Post by RickH »

simonhill wrote:I'm no expert, but a couple of chaps at a pub I visit have very expensive ebikes. One is a Specialized that looks like a 29er full sus MTB. I'm told it cost 6 grand.

They say they have 'chipped' them and they are now capable of speeds far in excess of 15 mph. I heard speeds of +40 mph mentioned, but haven't witnessed.

You may get away with it but if you are stopped (or involved in an accident) then legally you are driving an unapproved, untaxed, un-MOTed, uninsured motorbike, probably no motorbike helmet either. In that instance you can suffer serious penalties - fine, points/loss of driving licence & (IIRC for no insurance) possibly prison.

The only place you can legally ride one is on private land with the landowner's permission. That doesn't include bridleways & off road cycling facilities.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Even if you had an accident, would anyone even notice that your eBike was illegal?

I've already said that a legal one can do 50mph+ down a hill, just like a "normal" bike can.
Mick F. Cornwall