E Bike - speeding?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cyril Haearn

Re: E Bike - speeding?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ivor Tingting wrote:..
Ebikes and their flippin riders SHOULD be classed as motor vehicles as they are powered by .......... motors.

Because they are motor vehicles!

Right again Ivor, they should use the road not cycleways

Speed kills
(Trumptonshire Constabulary)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Ivor Tingting wrote:
Mick F wrote:Breaking the speed limit is the preserve of the drivers of mechanically propelled vehicles. ie they need an engine be it internal combustion or electricity.

Therefore, a pedal cycle cannot break a speed limit.
Ebikes are classed as pedal cycles. If they weren't you would need a licence and a crash helmet.

Cycling furiously is a different thing to breaking speed limits.

Ebikes and their flippin riders SHOULD be classed as motor vehicles as they are powered by .......... electric motors, should be required to be licensed, insurance, MOT and wearing of BS motorcycle helmets by riders. The fact that they are not is plain wrong. Many I see are ridden far in excess of 15mph which means the electric motors have been deliberately tampered with to increase their top speed.

There are many who would make the same claims for ALL Cyclists.......
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Ivor Tingting wrote:
Mick F wrote:Breaking the speed limit is the preserve of the drivers of mechanically propelled vehicles. ie they need an engine be it internal combustion or electricity.

Ebikes are classed as pedal cycles. If they weren't you would need a licence and a crash helmet.

Ebikes and their flippin riders SHOULD be classed as motor vehicles as they are powered by .......... electric motors, should be required to be licensed, insurance, MOT and wearing of BS motorcycle helmets by riders. The fact that they are not is plain wrong. Many I see are ridden far in excess of 15mph which means the electric motors have been deliberately tampered with to increase their top speed.

When I exceed 15mph it is nothing to do with my electric motor. It has not been tampered with to increase speed. I suspect that is the case with most which are sold by people like Halfords and so on to older people.i am not lazy, just old. Most of the time I am tootling along at about 17kph and the power either off or the lowest setting. The assist it so either get me started or to go up hill. Or into a head wind. Th to nly cyclist who overtake me are on unassisted bikes. They are younger, fitter, better trained and more interested in speed. I just want to tootle along.

Good Lord! First people think I shouldn't have a car and now they think I shouldn't have a bike. Just listen to your selves. You are beginning to sound uncharacteristically nasty! Don't you get tired of triying to live other peoples lives for them?

If some people do fix their motors and cycle dangerously - and I do believe you - that is an entirely different issue. Just as some drivers exceed the speed limit. Channel your anger instead of taking it out on old people. Go for a bike ride.

And Moderators: I do object to being compared unfavourably with drug cheats.
John
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Grandad wrote:
5K.................that's where the money is today.

Non e-bike riders have been paying way more than this for road bikes for years - double for top of the range ones.

But not 60 to 70-year-old retired too much money to know what to do with types.
All the blokes I spoke to were 68, 70+, estimated 65.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Posting time stamps, most peculiar?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
al_yrpal wrote:Posting time stamps, most peculiar?

Al

?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Motors can't be tampered with, it's the electronic side that can be tampered with.
Bosch,Yamaha,Steps, etc,etc can all be souped up easily in to 30mph bikes for a bout £100 - £125.
Most hub kits and a lot of OEM hub bikes can tampered with quite easily for 24mph.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Ivor Tingting wrote:

When I exceed 15mph it is nothing to do with my electric motor. It has not been tampered with to increase speed. I suspect that is the case with most which are sold by people like Halfords and so on to older people.i am not lazy, just old. Most of the time I am tootling along at about 17kph and the power either off or the lowest setting. The assist it so either get me started or to go up hill. Or into a head wind. Th to nly cyclist who overtake me are on unassisted bikes. They are younger, fitter, better trained and more interested in speed. I just want to tootle along.

Good Lord! First people think I shouldn't have a car and now they think I shouldn't have a bike. Just listen to your selves. You are beginning to sound uncharacteristically nasty! Don't you get tired of triying to live other peoples lives for them?

If some people do fix their motors and cycle dangerously - and I do believe you - that is an entirely different issue. Just as some drivers exceed the speed limit. Channel your anger instead of taking it out on old people. Go for a bike ride.

And Moderators: I do object to being compared unfavourably with drug cheats.

Mechanical motor doping is worse than taking PEDs. At least taking PEDs you are only affecting yourself, but with mechanical doping i.e. motor doping it's a whole new ball game of deceit.

You still haven't accounted for all the mining for precious metals, destruction of the planet that goes into the manufacture of electric motors and powerful Li batteries to power your Ebike simply because you are too lazy or lame to pedal all for yourself?
Last edited by Ivor Tingting on 9 Aug 2019, 11:09am, edited 1 time in total.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

You have your views, I have mine. Never the twain shall meet.
John
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Oldjohnw wrote:You have your views, I have mine. Never the twain shall meet.

As long as I'm alright, stuff the environment, stuff the planet. Depressing.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Ivor Tingting wrote: simply because you are too lazy or lame to pedal all for yourself?

I am actually lame and have sometimes had to use an E-bike. I don't think much of you misusing the word as abuse.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

I would be interested to know what CyclingUk's actual policy on Ebikes is? Is it the case that they are now being actively promoted instead of conventional all your own effort traditional bicycles? Has the promotion and fight for traditional cycling been downgraded or even abandoned? I am staggered Ebikes are even allowed to be included in CyclingUk's world as they represent the antithesis of traditional cycling.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Ivor Tingting wrote:I would be interested to know what CyclingUk's actual policy on Ebikes is? Is it the case that they are now being actively promoted instead of conventional all your own effort traditional bicycles? Has the promotion and fight for traditional cycling been downgraded or even abandoned? I am staggered Ebikes are even allowed to be included in the cycling world as they represent the antithesis of traditional cycling.

I'm staggered that anyone can be so negative and ableist about a mode of transport that gets more people out of cars and provides mobility to many disabled cyclists.

I know folks who can manage to cycle more because of ebikes, and one who has even given up his car because having an ebike makes his commute practical by cycle year round.

I know folks who are barely mobile without either an ebike or a mobility scooter, and much prefer the ebike.

p.s. Cycling UK seem to encourage them as a means to allow more people to cycle. https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/guide-electric-bikes
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Mike Sales wrote:
Ivor Tingting wrote: simply because you are too lazy or lame to pedal all for yourself?

I am actually lame and have sometimes had to use an E-bike. I don't think much of you misusing the word as abuse.

I am not lame, but I agree about using the word as a negative epithet.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Ivor Tingting wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:You have your views, I have mine. Never the twain shall meet.

As long as I'm alright, stuff the environment, stuff the planet. Depressing.

Yes, it would be ever so much better for the environment if he used the car for journeys that he cannot manage with a normal pedal cycle.