Why is the front QR release always on the left?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rmurphy195

Why is the front QR release always on the left?

Postby rmurphy195 » 23 Jul 2019, 10:17pm

All the bikes I've seen have the front QR release on the left - but why?

Is it simply convention, or is there a techical reason for it?

Any reason why I shouldn't have it on the right?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

Brucey

Re: Why is the front QR release always on the left?

Postby Brucey » 23 Jul 2019, 10:37pm

its convention, partly a practical one too, of keeping you away from the chain etc when working on the bike.

FWIW I usually put the QR on the RHS of hub generator wheels; I reckon it increases my chances of remembering to disconnect and reconnect the wiring, as well as leaving all the work on one side of the wheel.

With disc brakes it is probably a good idea to have the lever on the RHS too; there have been some nasty accidents with the QR lever going into the disc itself accidentally, but more prosaically you are not so likely to burn your hands on the disc is the lever is on the other side.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

David9694

Postby David9694 » 23 Jul 2019, 10:45pm

It’s on the left because that’s the right side.

I guess it’s just to match the rear; you need to be consistent if you run tyres that have a preferred rotation direction.

I sometimes wonder who decided that the drive-side of the Safety bicycle should be on the right - was it a LHD Brit or someone in RHD Europe, or maybe because of dominant right legs?

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 23 Jul 2019, 10:49pm

my understanding is that because horses were always mounted from the left (regardless of country) so were bicycles, and it made sense to keep out of the way of the chain. Hence chain goes on the right.

cheers

RickH

Postby RickH » 23 Jul 2019, 11:02pm

UOften on disc brake bikes the front is fitted on the right. I don't know which way through axles are fitted (you don't have a choice with those but I don't have any).

I've settled on both QRs on the right with my disc bike as there is more space to get your fingers behind the QR lever than on the disc side. (But then I'm generally a heretic - see topic on cycling shorts & underwear, and probably others. :twisted:)

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 23 Jul 2019, 11:11pm

I always have the front QR on the right. I usually park my bike with the chain on the far side, and want to reduce the temptation for low life to slacken or pinch the skewer.

Mike_Ayling

Postby Mike_Ayling » 23 Jul 2019, 11:50pm

LollyKat wrote:I always have the front QR on the right. I usually park my bike with the chain on the far side, and want to reduce the temptation for low life to slacken or pinch the skewer.

Yes, some mongrel slackened my left side front QR only last Thursday!.

Mike

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 24 Jul 2019, 1:00am

Brucey wrote:With disc brakes it is probably a good idea to have the lever on the RHS too; there have been some nasty accidents with the QR lever going into the disc itself accidentally, but more prosaically you are not so likely to burn your hands on the disc is the lever is on the other side.

I put the front QR lever on the disc side, on the grounds that if the brake torque reaction is enough to cause slight slip, I'd rather it was the unthreaded lever housing slipping back and forth than the threaded adjuster nut, which could consequently self-loosen.
I figure that by the time I've got the tyre levers and spare tube out of the saddle bag, the disc would have cooled off enough not to be dangerous, even if the puncture should happen on a substantial downhill.

freeflow

Postby freeflow » 24 Jul 2019, 9:54am

In the UK, having the lever on the left side of the bike means you are not standing on the traffic side of the bike when tightening it. It also means, for a significant part of the population, that it is easily accessible by the right hand when you are stood facing the front of the bike.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 24 Jul 2019, 9:58am

Mine are on either way on Mercian. The rear one also.
Why not?
Doesn't matter a jot.
In fact, when I use the trailer, the rear QR is better on the right because it doesn't interfere with the tow hitch on the left.
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 24 Jul 2019, 10:03am

My logic of them being on left side is that with conventional QR's the lever is on the left side of the skewer boss so viewed end on.
When the lever is closed in front of the front fork almost parallel with it and below and level with the chainstay on the rear,they're protected from debris or a twig,etc being picked up from the road/trail etc.
Whereas on the left they more vulnerable to being flipped open as they aren't protected by the fork or chainstay and also if a QR is stiff for whatever reason the frame can be used to lever open with the thumb on it with thre fingers on the QR lever.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 24 Jul 2019, 10:09am

andrew_s wrote:I put the front QR lever on the disc side, on the grounds that if the brake torque reaction is enough to cause slight slip, I'd rather it was the unthreaded lever housing slipping back and forth than the threaded adjuster nut, which could consequently self-loosen.....

it might well work like that, but if there were a strong tendency for the nut to precess and then unscrew with the QR installed one way then presumably the whole QR could unscrew from the nut with comparable ease when it is installed the other way round....?

cheers

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 24 Jul 2019, 10:13am

reohn2 wrote:My logic of them being on left side is that …..
Whereas on the left they more vulnerable to being.....

eh? FWIW levers being tucked out of the way or not varies with the design of the frame/fork and the QR lever itself. IME some combinations are definitely better one side of the bike than the other, and it isn't always the same side of the bike.

cheers

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 24 Jul 2019, 10:48am

RickH wrote:UOften on disc brake bikes the front is fitted on the right. I don't know which way through axles are fitted (you don't have a choice with those but I don't have any).

Through axles are fitted from the left. At least, on my bike and I think that's what I've observed in others. I'd guess this is done just to fit in with the QR convention, as there's no chance of interference with the rotor anyway.

In fact I no longer have a bike with QRs as on my other bike, I've replaced the QR skewers with a security skewers. I've got these fastening on the left but they really could go either way round. At the rear, the left makes more sense as it's away from the chain; at the front, there might be something to be said for Brucey's idea of having fastening on the same side as the generator connections.

pete75

Postby pete75 » 24 Jul 2019, 10:55am

It's always on the left if you always put it there. No other reason. I always put it on the left but having read Brucey's sensible suggestion I'll switch to always putting it on the right on my dynamo equipped bikes.