Why is the front QR release always on the left?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
reohn2

Re: Why is the front QR release always on the left?

Postby reohn2 » 24 Jul 2019, 5:44pm

Brucey wrote:
reohn2 wrote:My logic of them being on left side is that …..
Whereas on the left they more vulnerable to being.....

eh? FWIW levers being tucked out of the way or not varies with the design of the frame/fork and the QR lever itself. IME some combinations are definitely better one side of the bike than the other, and it isn't always the same side of the bike.

cheers

If you read my post I said conventional QR's,my logical thinking was also thinking of conventional bikes ie; rim brakes though admittedly I didn't make that clear.
Different QR's such as the inline ones are also better off in the position indicated in my original post.
I'll give you the logic of a dynamo hub but disagree about the disc brake,the QR lever won't go into the disc,any QR that would should be consigned to the round file in the corner.
TBH QR skewers IMO are a bind anyway unless racing,where a quick wheel change is essential.It's why I use hexbolt skewers,a secure wheel fitting that can't be flicked open by accident and makes it a leettle harder for theives to steal my wheels.
YVMV mine won't :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

nick12

Postby nick12 » 24 Jul 2019, 7:33pm

+1 for the hex skewers they look better too.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 24 Jul 2019, 7:33pm

for example with quite a few MTB-esque forks (eg Kona P2, Carrera subway, trek direct drive etc)

an offset external cam QR can interfere with the end of the fork so badly that it can either be set on the left (awkwardly) sticking upwards as pictured (although not strictly necessary in this case) or put on the other side and tucked out of the way nicely.

Probably best do what makes most sense for you and your bike.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 24 Jul 2019, 8:05pm

Brucey wrote:Probably best do what makes most sense for you and your bike.
Yes, I agree.
I'd add that for some people and some bikes, it matters not a jot.
For the record, I put mine on the left out of habit, but there's no practical reason why I should do so at all.

I wonder if I should buck my habits and put both of mine on Mercian on the right. The Moulton has track nuts on the rear of course due to the SA3p, but the front wheel QR could be either way round.
Mick F. Cornwall

rogerzilla

Postby rogerzilla » 25 Jul 2019, 12:48pm

Some racing types have the rear QR on the right so they can undo it and pull the rear mech back in one movement, for a quick wheel change. The QR doesn't care which side it's on.