Recent acquisitions and bike stand question

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Fishplate42

Recent acquisitions and bike stand question

Postby Fishplate42 » 25 Jul 2019, 3:53pm

After dipping my toe in the water and buying a second-hand bike, I discovered that it not only needed new tyres, but it seems very heavy. Having said that, for now it serves a purpose. I don't intend to spend any real money or time on it and just use it as it is. It does need some new tyres as the ones that are on at the moment have splits in the side walls. With this in mind, I was looking on our local free ads website and found a guy selling a couple of tyres that would fit my bike. The trouble was they came with two other bikes and tyres all in bits. One of the biks is a Mongoose Crossway 350, which has an aluminium frame, the other is a fold-up mountain bike that appears to have no name or markings on it whatsoever, as the guy only wanted fifty quid for the lot so I bought it...

I have also recovered my wife's old bike from long-term storage, which after a wash and the tyres pumped up was ready to go.

Now I have a bit of work to do. The guy had stripped the two bikes down and planned to make one bike out of a combination of the bits. I have no idea why, because the Mongoose looks like a nice bike as it was. There is some stuff missing, a second saddle being the most obvious, but there are several bags of bits - just trying to work out what is what will be fun. I am learning as I go along here, have already worked out the quick release skewers are missing or incomplete. This is a vast step forward, as a week ago, I though a skewer was something you cooked a Kebab on, and a cassette was something I used to listen to music on in my youth!

Reading and watching what I can, a lot of people are recommending the purchase of a torque wrench and a service stand. I can see the reason for the torque wrench and intend to buy a small one for use with insert bits. I already have a ½-inch drive one, but that is a bit big for a bike. However, I am looking for advice on a service stand. Do I really need one? back in the day, when I was a kid, all we did was to turn the bike over to work on it... I realise it is a bit more sophisticated today. Assuming I should invest in one, can you give me any thoughts on what I should be looking for.

Thanks,
Ralph.

tatanab

Re: Recent acquisitions and bike stand question

Postby tatanab » 25 Jul 2019, 4:14pm

I would do without a stand or a torque wrench. There is nothing delicate enough on those sorts of bikes to be sensitive to torque and you can do most work with the bike on the ground or suspended from a shed/garage beam with a piece of rope. I'm not saying that a stand might be handy, but in 55 years off fettling I've never seen the need, and I am not saying that a torque wrench would be handy with carbon fibre bits or some other modern parts that seem sensitive to torque, but in your case I would save my money --- unless of course I wanted the new toys to play with then they are justified :P

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 25 Jul 2019, 5:39pm

As he said.

Mike_Ayling

Postby Mike_Ayling » 26 Jul 2019, 1:00am

A stand raises the bike off the ground and makes it easier to work on.

I wash/clean my bikes on my stand.

Much more comfortable for old timers who have diffriculty in bending down.

Mike

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 26 Jul 2019, 6:52am

Agree - a £25 stand from Lidl or ano is worth the investment.

ETA
...but don't worry about one of those talking wrenches.
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 26 Jul 2019, 7:52am, edited 1 time in total.

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 26 Jul 2019, 7:45am

If you find a cheap stand it's worth getting. Makes fettling much more comfortable than bending double.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 26 Jul 2019, 8:01am

FWIW I agree with Tatanab.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~