What kind of valve - and how do I remove it?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
belgiangoth

What kind of valve - and how do I remove it?

Post by belgiangoth »

I think it's a woods valve; not sure how to remove it though. The other tyre had some sort of extra extension on it which removed and allowed me to remove the sheath and therefore the valve from the wheel.
If it is a woods, can I replace it with a shraeder valve? I think they are the same size. OR can I fit some sort of adapter to be able to fit presta valves? If so which ones?

Thanks
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
robgul

Re: What kind of valve - and how do I remove it?

Post by robgul »

Makes more sense to just put another tube in with a recognisable valve that works (chances are whatever is in the pic will be a problem to attach a pump) - and FWIW it doesn't look like a Woods to me.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Managed to remove the valve (the sheath was wider than the hole) through judicious and precise use of Brute Force(TM). I have fitted Presta valves, because that's what I had in. Schrader is a better fit (which is why I thought it was Woods; same size as Schrader but not Schrader) but I like Presta better. I think that the jam nut (the correct term as it is the term Sheldon, may his wheels stay forever true, uses) tightened down to the rim fits in to the Schrader hole, so it should be okay (I think Brucey has advocated this in the past).
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

You can get Schrader / Woods to Presta adapter ferrules. Don't know where from though!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

9494arnold wrote:You can get Schrader / Woods to Presta adapter ferrules. Don't know where from though!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/schrader-presta-valve-hole-shim-convertor-reducer-bike-cycle-wheel-rim-/382488576788
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

belgiangoth wrote:I think that the jam nut (the correct term as it is the term Sheldon, may his wheels stay forever true, uses) tightened down to the rim fits in to the Schrader hole, so it should be okay (I think Brucey has advocated this in the past).

Yep. Some presta tubes come with 'jam nuts' that have a step in them, allowing them to fit snugly into a schraeder-sized hole. I think Schwalbe tubes have this, but would have to go to the shed to check. Like this:

jamnut.jpg

FWIW, The more time I spend ar5ing about with mini-pumps by the side of the road trying to get presta valves to pump up without pushing the plunger down or unscrewing the valve core, the more I appreciate the robustness of the Woods valve. No moving parts at the point of use! Admittedly if the little rubber tube inside perishes and you don't have a spare, you're walking home. But when the core is removed you have a nice fat hole to squirt sealant into for a tubeless tyres. Time for a Woods resurgence?!
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

speedsixdave wrote: Admittedly if the little rubber tube inside perishes and you don't have a spare, you're walking home.

Replacement Woods cores are available that do not have the rubber tube. They work in a different way which is also easier to pump.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

speedsixdave wrote:FWIW, The more time I spend ar5ing about with mini-pumps by the side of the road trying to get presta valves to pump up without pushing the plunger down or unscrewing the valve core, the more I appreciate the robustness of the Woods valve. No moving parts at the point of use! Admittedly if the little rubber tube inside perishes and you don't have a spare, you're walking home. But when the core is removed you have a nice fat hole to squirt sealant into for a tubeless tyres. Time for a Woods resurgence?!

Interesting... I'm not sure what type of valves tubeless tyres actually do use. Presumably Presta but as Woods valves are Presta sized at the valve and almost-Schraeder sized at the base, they could fit... if the rims were drilled wide enough, which I don't think they are. Possibly an idea whose time will come, maybe along with the revival of 27" (630) rims and tyres for big-wheeled gravel etc?

Btw I think Conti tubes come with a jam nut - maybe Schwalbe do too - though I must confess I didn't realize that was their name or purpose.
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

Mike Sales wrote:
speedsixdave wrote: Admittedly if the little rubber tube inside perishes and you don't have a spare, you're walking home.

Replacement Woods cores are available that do not have the rubber tube. They work in a different way which is also easier to pump.

Come on then! All aboard the Woods Bus!

:D
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
mjr

Post by mjr »

speedsixdave wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

Come on then! All aboard the Woods Bus!

:D

Woods are marvellous. I've never seen one like that in the opening post, though. Is it a Woods?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

speedsixdave wrote:
belgiangoth wrote:I think that the jam nut (the correct term as it is the term Sheldon, may his wheels stay forever true, uses) tightened down to the rim fits in to the Schrader hole, so it should be okay (I think Brucey has advocated this in the past).

Yep. Some presta tubes come with 'jam nuts' that have a step in them, allowing them to fit snugly into a schraeder-sized hole. I think Schwalbe tubes have this, but would have to go to the shed to check.

Having just been into the shed, Schwalbe tubes do have that, which would’ve been a nice thing to realise before struggling with Mavic valve grommets on the nasty rims on #1 spawn’s bike…
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Isn't the issue with fitting Presta in a Schrader that the tube will expand beyond the hole? In which case should the grommet not be fitted inside the tube?
... I might buy Shrader tubes for the bike going forwards, for sure not Woods.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

belgiangoth wrote:Isn't the issue with fitting Presta in a Schrader that the tube will expand beyond the hole? In which case should the grommet not be fitted inside the tube?

Not sure how you’d do that; the grommets reduce the size of the drilled hole in the rim.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

ratherbeintobago wrote:
belgiangoth wrote:Isn't the issue with fitting Presta in a Schrader that the tube will expand beyond the hole? In which case should the grommet not be fitted inside the tube?

Not sure how you’d do that; the grommets reduce the size of the drilled hole in the rim.

After a while you always have a spare....simply fit the spare on the valve, and then fit the valve into the hole. THe outer than acts as a "lock nut"
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cunobelin wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:

After a while you always have a spare....simply fit the spare on the valve, and then fit the valve into the hole. THe outer than acts as a "lock nut"

Yes but that's not "inside the tube".
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.