SPD footwear - recessed cleats

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
st599_uk

SPD footwear - recessed cleats

Post by st599_uk »

Hi

Been riding out to various places that I'd like to look around, but I'm finding my cleats aren't recessed enough.

I'd really rather I didn't ruin the flooring in some priceless National Trust place.

I currently wear Shimano MTB shoes. Does anyone know of any shoes which:
1) have cleats recessed enough to never grind when you're walking
2) don't make you look like an extra from Straight outta Compton
3) you can walk in for a few hours for sightseeing.

Alternatively, does anyone have recommendations for lightweight shoes I can, preferably, roll up in a bag? But still hardy enough to allow a decent walk whilst sightseeing.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
gaz

Re: SPD footwear - recessed cleats

Post by gaz »

I will cautiously suggest Massi.

1) I've only the one pair to go by (MTB semi-boot style) but the recess is deeper than any other SPD I've used (Shimano, Specialized, Sidi, Lake). Need a bit of a firmer push to clip in but I've not experienced any issues clipping out. Of course they will wear and at some point the metal's going to start grinding on the floor.
2) Mine aren't the worst, laces and a pair of velcro straps. The logos on the straps and rear are a little garish.
3) A tighter fit at first than most of my other shoes, although they have stretched. They've been my primary footwear through lengthy meetings, not so much for strolling about sight seeing.

There are three main reasons for the cautious recommendation.

a) Availability, the brand seems common in Spain but not elsewhere.
b) My knowledge is out of date, I bought this pair about four years ago pre-loved (but seemingly very little used) on ebay. I can't confirm the same recess depth applies to current models.
c) Quality. I was never able to establish a RRP for mine, no longer current at the time of purchase. They spent about three and a half years in the back of a cupboard before I started using them. The soles are detaching from the heel forward, this may be down to age rather than use. I'm debating whether to buy some Shoegoo to attempt a fix.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Exustar SP705 https://spacycles.co.uk/m2b79s154p3382/ ... vio-SP-705 I use Time ATAC cleats and they do not touch the floor at all. I think, but do not know for sure, that Shimano cleats are smaller so would be no problem
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

st599_uk wrote:Alternatively, does anyone have recommendations for lightweight shoes I can, preferably, roll up in a bag? But still hardy enough to allow a decent walk whilst sightseeing.

I have a pair of Merrell Vapor Glove 3 shoes. Very light and roll up very small.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've got some Giro Rumble VRs, which can be passed off as fairly normal trainer type shoes. They are comfortable for prolonged off the bike wear & the vibram soles grip well on most surfaces.

The cleats don't touch the floor when it is smooth but there is a limit to how recessed the cleats can be otherwise the soles will start to hinder clipping in as they will make contact with the pedal body before the cleat is engaged.

For some light shoes, although not cheap, I recently got some from Vivobarefoot. They were the same canvas upper construction as these (but mine are a different colour scheme that is no longer available - they were in a clearance sale so less expensive than the current ones).

My size 10s weigh in at 220g a shoe (why are shoe weights, when given, always quoted for single shoes?). The link shows them rolled up as well as flat (but I can't put a direct link to the pictures as they use GIFs which this board doesn't recognise).

(a quick search has found the "sale" page that doesn't seem to be linked from the main site - here.)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Every pair of cleated shoes I've had would ground the cleats to some extent. I'd not wear them on special floors. Instead, why not pack some alternative footwear that goes flat enough to go in whatever bag you take?
slowster

Post by slowster »

If you are doing a lot of sightseeing and want to be able to walk around for a few hours, maybe you need to consider whether clipless shoes are the best option. Even if you can find a pair that has a more recessed cleat, it will only be a matter of time before enough of the sole wears to result in the cleat coming into contact with the ground/floor.

A pair of wide MKS Sylvan Touring pedals, pedal washers and Zefal toeclips will allow you to wear whatever you want - shoes, sandals or even lightweight boots - as long as the sole is not too soft/spongy (e.g. flip flops and some trainers).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

st599_uk wrote:.........Alternatively, does anyone have recommendations for lightweight shoes I can, preferably, roll up in a bag? But still hardy enough to allow a decent walk whilst sightseeing.

Have you looked at Sketchers brand shoes?
They make some very light shoes in various styles that would pack down small.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

reohn2 wrote:Have you looked at Sketchers brand shoes?

I looked at Sketchers before I got the Vivobarefoot ones I bought but, although the Sketchers were quite light, all the ones I saw had thick heel sections which made them quite bulky.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

RickH wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Have you looked at Sketchers brand shoes?

I looked at Sketchers before I got the Vivobarefoot ones I bought but, although the Sketchers were quite light, all the ones I saw had thick heel sections which made them quite bulky.

Just had a look at Vivo,they're a bit pricey but I take your point.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden