Bar bar without bracket

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tangled Metal

Bar bar without bracket

Postby Tangled Metal » 27 Jul 2019, 9:27pm

Guess who's got the award for stupidity. Off on a fortnight tour and first night at relatives nearer the ferry. Found out I forgot to put the bar bag bracket on my bike. Carradry bag so it's R&K bracket. Are there any solutions that would allow me to use it? I doubt it.

As a background, no bike shops near here sell the brackets, no shop have any barbags in stock. Our van broke down and is in the garage so we've got an early start to get to the ferry tomorrow (one day late). Relative is not well enough to drive us anywhere so we're minibus taxi to get to the ferry in Hull.

So do I go without a bar bag, try to stash it on my bike in case I can see a bike shop early on in my holiday or is there a bodge?

I reckon I'm without bag. They're handy to take money, passports, documents, phone, etc when you leave your bike. Most annoyed.

It's been one of those days so I need good news.

HobbesOnTour

Re: Bar bar without bracket

Postby HobbesOnTour » 27 Jul 2019, 9:52pm

There is a Decathlon in Brugge. A possible solution is to pick up either a bar bag there (it will come with a simple holder) or alternatively a basket to hold your existing barbag.

Can't recommend any bike shops. I'm sure if you look around you'll eventually find one. Not sure if that's what you want to be doing, though. Most small shops don't have online inventory.

Good luck!

keyboardmonkey

Postby keyboardmonkey » 27 Jul 2019, 10:05pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Guess who's got the award for stupidity... Relative is not well enough to drive us anywhere so we're minibus taxi to get to the ferry in Hull.

It's been one of those days so I need good news.

This R&K one? If yes how thick are your bars?

11DA2999-B75C-4AC1-9A7F-B698488385A9.jpeg

E9EA54E5-860A-4544-8D9C-1FD6C123EFAE.jpeg

What is your time frame for being in Hull?

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 27 Jul 2019, 10:24pm

We should, all being well, get the ferry tomorrow and arrive about 9:30 am day after (Monday). Once there we're cycling to Brugge then train to Ghent and cycling to first campsite 20km from the centre. Hoping to be on our way ASAP after landing.

I think the bars are 31. something at the stem but go a bit thinner either side. I think I used the R&K without any thick shims, possibly only duct tape.

Might look online at decathlon. I did wonder if a cheap barbag had bracket that my barbag could fit on then that would be an option. Get the barbag but use my bag on the bracket. I don't think a Carradice carradry bar bag would fit on another make of bracket.

keyboardmonkey

Postby keyboardmonkey » 27 Jul 2019, 10:31pm

Tangled Metal wrote:We should, all being well, get the ferry tomorrow...

When do you arrive in Hull?

When is your ferry?

I’m asking because I can possibly get my bracket to you depending on your answers to the above questions if you don’t want to risk being without in Belgium.

keyboardmonkey

Postby keyboardmonkey » 28 Jul 2019, 8:15am

Tangled Metal wrote:I think the bars are 31...

Okay, I think I’ve got it covered, but I’m off on a bike ride shortly. According to P&O website you can’t board before 3:00 with a much later final boarding time.

2CB0A119-0B24-4FE8-B1A2-AD1AAD5F7734.jpeg

If you are interested DM me your number and - provided there is time when I get back - you can have what you need - including Multiclip options - at replacement cost to me. Otherwise, good luck and enjoy Belgium.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 28 Jul 2019, 8:51am

What a joy, amidst such general despair, to see such decency abroad. Brilliant, keyboardmonkey, and have a great holiday and family time, TM
John

Cycling and recycling

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 28 Jul 2019, 4:24pm

Oldjohnw wrote:What a joy, amidst such general despair, to see such decency abroad. Brilliant, keyboardmonkey, and have a great holiday and family time, TM

Seconded!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.