Small Light Bike Lock ???

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonhill

Re: Small Light Bike Lock ???

Postby simonhill » 1 Aug 2019, 9:13pm

Large zip tie, round rear wheel and frame and a small implement to undo it or if wasteful, a small penknife.

Can't get much lighter than that.

Hope you are OK after the accident.

Witterings

Postby Witterings » 1 Aug 2019, 11:40pm

Cheers for everyone's responses / input ... much appreciated!!!

I've now had time to go through all the responses and rather than quoting each will just list what I've found about about some of them / what's interesting.

Abus Cafe lock ... having looked at reviews on Amazon .. .there were a reasonable number of people that said theirs failed within a fairly short space of time .... I think this is one of those if you get a good one you're lucky and they're brilliant but there's a high percentage that seem to go wrong.

Sailing rigging .... may end up going this route as I'm on the coast and got a quote today for one either coated or in a tube for about £20 so will go and see what widths they have and how easily they roll up .... I did look at the ones made for bike and the 4mm Kryptonite one there were lots of reviews about thin it was (wonder if it included the coating) and it was quite short ... the 10mm one too big.

Axa / basta ... like these except I'd worry someone would just pick it up and put it in the back of a van as it doesn't secure to anything and then disassemble the lock when they've taken it somewhere private.

@RobinS ... I did find the Techi cable site a while ago when I was looking and bookmarked it but my PC crashed recently and lost all on my links ... have you tried the 5mm one listed here
http://www.tecni-cable.co.uk/TECNI-5mm- ... ur-Options

Would you trust leaving your bike outside a busy pub where it'd be too obvious / close to the building for someone to walk in with bolt cutters and you're not that far from where they're parked near the door that's regularly used as it's where the smokers go?? ... This is possibly top of my list at the moment.

Looked at D-locks as well ... my problem is where to store them on the bike as I use my inner triangle for 2 x's water bottles.

I also looked at the Kryptonite Keeper 695 Fold and could be tempted but it does seem quit biggish / heavy .. would like to see one in the flesh and whilst googling them a suggested alternative that came up was the Abus Bordo 5700 which I'd like to see as well ... I do have a spare bottle mount on the underside of the down tube so whilst I really don't want to carry a 2.5kg lock and was thinking small so it fits in a saddle / tube bag easily these could be possible alternatives although I'd be concerned with too much dirt getting into the lock in that position riding through the mud in the winter.

Once again cheers for everyone's input it's much appreciated!!!

Witterings

Postby Witterings » 1 Aug 2019, 11:43pm

simonhill wrote:
Hope you are OK after the accident.

Thanks for that ... think it's shaken me up quite a bit as I really slammed into the ground and have a few injury's / cuts but I'm sure give it a few days and it'll just be one of those life experiences about being careful on corners with slippery surfaces and maybe lose that 1/2 mph more speed for some tyres with nobbles :)

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 2 Aug 2019, 2:21pm

Witterings wrote:@RobinS ... I did find the Techi cable site a while ago when I was looking and bookmarked it but my PC crashed recently and lost all on my links ... have you tried the 5mm one listed here
http://www.tecni-cable.co.uk/TECNI-5mm- ... ur-Options

Would you trust leaving your bike outside a busy pub where it'd be too obvious / close to the building for someone to walk in with bolt cutters and you're not that far from where they're parked near the door that's regularly used as it's where the smokers go?? ... This is possibly top of my list at the moment.

Thinnish cables like that are fairly easy to cut (that one is 4 mm with a bit of plastic coating, not 5 mm).
I can think of 4 occasions when a lost/forgotten key led to a similar cable lock being chopped at the pub/cafe stop on a club ride. One lad used to carry some side-cutters specifically for such occasions, which took less than a minute. Similar size pliers also worked, but took longer.

As for the pub, it depends.
Where is it? - relatively low risk (countryside/village), medium risk (town/small city), or high risk (big city).
Is it used regularly by cyclists? - In terms of there usually being some bikes parked at whatever time, and therefore possibly being on the usual round.
Are there other bikes that are more attractive or worse locked than yours?

I usually take a D-lock (in the saddlebag) if I'm expecting to stop in a town, but I've sometimes just used the cable & padlock, and neither worried unduly nor suffered any thefts (knocks desk).

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 2 Aug 2019, 3:07pm

I can't remember the last time I locked my bike.
Went to the bank in town last week, and propped it inside the door against the wall.
Been to a shop or two, and left it leaning against the window.
Been to the pub on numerous occasions, and leave it by the door.

Look at my comments and photographs regarding Wetherspoons in Plymouth city centre. I just leave it in full view leaning against the windows.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=122787&start=270
Wetherspoon Plymouth.JPG

It all depends on where you are, who you know, and who knows you. In a strange town, I may think about a lock, but the best lock of all weighs nothing ........... keep your eyes locked to your bike. Never leave it out of your sight and never out of your reach.

I'm well aware that it's easier said than done for some people and some places though.
Mick F. Cornwall

nez

Postby nez » 2 Aug 2019, 5:23pm

I have a New York Fahgeddaboutit or nothing. If the bike is out of view, it's the lock. If it's not out of view, I don't need one. My wife's Koga has a Dutch nurse's lock with a chain which plugs in the side, which is a good arrangement but wouldn't really fit on my Super Galaxy. If we go to a country tearoom (say) we pass her chain through my frame or wheel and then to the nurse's lock.

By the way the v helpful chap in my LBS tells me the Abus nurse's lock is available in the UK but not with a chain. I blame Brexit. :oops:

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 2 Aug 2019, 6:51pm

Been using one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0016LU67O/ ... rDb9TK5ZBK for a couple years. Got one for my daughters bike at school too.
The locking mechanism never plays up and they don't weigh much at all.
No one's tried to steal my bike (that I know of) so can't vouch for how tough they are. It'd take more than a fair tug to open though.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

RobinS

Postby RobinS » 2 Aug 2019, 8:23pm

The 5mm Tecni-cable is the thickest one we use, we have used it as our main security on several short UK tours, and three, three month long tours around Europe. Bikes have been left on campsites while we are out, outside bars and supermarkets etc without issues so far. I work on the basis that it is impossible to make all kit secure on tour, so just discourage the casual "ride-away thief. We tend to look at the locks the locals use - most places in rural/small town Europe the locks are Poundland standard so I surmaise they don't have too much of a bike theft problem.

TomK

Postby TomK » 2 Aug 2019, 10:46pm

I live in California and so have an extremely poor view of the honesty of my fellow citizens. On the positive side I am always being happily surprised.

However, I NEVER get out of sight of my bike since they are all pretty valuable. But as a deterrent where I can get still within sight but not really close I have these locks. https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Combination-Assorted-4605D/dp/B000BD69G0/ref=sr_1_18?hvadid=77790451562229&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=master+lock+cable+lock&qid=1564782019&s=gateway&sr=8-18

This would delay anyone long enough for me to get there or to cell phone a cop.

Witterings

Postby Witterings » 2 Aug 2019, 11:03pm

RobinS wrote:The 5mm Tecni-cable is the thickest one we use, we have used it as our main security on several short UK tours, and three, three month long tours around Europe. Bikes have been left on campsites while we are out, outside bars and supermarkets etc without issues so far. I work on the basis that it is impossible to make all kit secure on tour, so just discourage the casual "ride-away thief. We tend to look at the locks the locals use - most places in rural/small town Europe the locks are Poundland standard so I surmaise they don't have too much of a bike theft problem.

Cheers for that ... I think that's decision made as it's not for locking in busy towns and leaving the bikes for hours .... it's just I don't want the inconvenience of bigger / heavier for our weekly rides where we stop at a coffee shop or the pub but can see the bikes most of the time and we're pretty much out in the sticks down here in The Witterings ......... Chichester which is the nearest town which isn't exactly the crime capital of
the UK :D