Touring on Canal Towpaths (UK)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
AndyK

Re: Touring on Canal Towpaths (UK)

Postby AndyK » 13 Aug 2019, 11:49pm

Witterings wrote:
AndyK wrote:Talking of which, the trust specifically asks cyclists to walk on the canal side of the path, keeping the bike nearest the canal: apparently the idea is that if something/someone does slip off, it's best if it's not the person. (Some dodgy logic there, of course: people float, bikes don't. Also people are easier to dry out and tend not to rust. :wink: )

Except if it's misjudged and the thing nearest the water falls in ... if it's the bike the person can pull it out whereas the bike can't pull the person out and if the person's nearest the water and falls in chances are they'll take the bike with them so 2 things to get out not one.

If a barge is coming and hit's what falls in the water because it can't stop in time ... I'd rather it was my bike it hit than me.

Just my 2p's worth.

Yes, I wasn't being entirely serious. From a safety point of view it makes sense.

Michael Skinner

Postby Michael Skinner » 15 Aug 2019, 1:14pm

Anyway, back to my original point. You've all given me some really useful information and I've done a bit of planning based on it. I'm intending to get the train from Ilkeston to Dronfield then ride across west the thirty miles to Whaley Bridge, then amble along via the Rochdale canal to Hebdon Bridge. No doubt there're campsites around Whaley Bridge and Hebdon Bridge to stay at overnight.

Thanks again to everyone for the information.

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 19 Aug 2019, 10:31am

And thanks to RichH for the rhyme:

RickH wrote:Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear,
Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair,
So Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy wuzzy was he!
(Author unknown)

I'll pass it on to my small grandson. :D