Help! People + cycles transport needed Bristol -> Portsmouth

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TobyH

Help! People + cycles transport needed Bristol -> Portsmouth

Post by TobyH »

We need to get from Bristol to Portsmouth with loaded bikes. Taking ferry then cycling in France. Trains only have x2 bookable spaces & there are 4 of us. Does anyone know of a service that will do this? ie a van with seats & driver.
simonhill

Re: Help! People + cycles transport needed Bristol -> Portsmouth

Post by simonhill »

There won't be a bespoke service for such a niche request. However, man with van in Bristol revealed plenty of people on google.

Alternatively, hire a van - crew cab with seats and find a chum to drive it for a few quid.
whoof

Post by whoof »

If the trains are regular two of you could take one train and then the other two take the next one, might only be an hour between them.

Have you considered riding, maybe two getting the train and two riding? I only mention it as I've done it a few times and it's a nice ride. Bath, Bristol railway path, two tunnels and the Wylye Valley to Salisbury.
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

Have you considered the country line which runs from Gloucester via Bristol to Dorchester West ( no bike booking required ), cycle 200 yds to Dorchester South and then on the SW Train service to Southampton/Portsmouth ( six bike spaces per train, no booking required).

Rob
TobyH

Post by TobyH »

Thanks for that. We may well go down the man with van route as riding isn’t going to be possible.
Sounds like a nice ride when there’s more time!
Barks

Post by Barks »

Why don’t you cycle to Portsmouth, it would only take a day and a bit of easy cycling maybe less depending on your fitness and gear weights? You seem quite happy to be cycling multiple days in France?
climo

Post by climo »

whoof wrote:If the trains are regular two of you could take one train and then the other two take the next one, might only be an hour between them.
Have you considered riding, maybe two getting the train and two riding? I only mention it as I've done it a few times and it's a nice ride. Bath, Bristol railway path, two tunnels and the Wylye Valley to Salisbury.

Train every hour. I don't think you can book bikes on this train. There's also a GWR train Bristol to Brighton which iirc has 4 bike spaces.
Route as above to Salisbury but not as good after that