Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Brucey
Posts: 37358
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

Postby Brucey » 15 Aug 2019, 10:21pm

JohnW wrote:
Brucey wrote:you might like this one too, then; more a dream than a reality of course, but what is life without dreams?

Yes - but who's the bloke?


its your dream, so whoever you like...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brucey
Posts: 37358
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

Postby Brucey » 15 Aug 2019, 10:22pm

bagpussctc wrote:Popeye rides again!


five wingnuts on one bike...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RubaDub
Posts: 31
Joined: 30 Mar 2019, 10:27am

Re: Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

Postby RubaDub » 15 Aug 2019, 10:46pm

JohnW wrote:
Brucey wrote:This thread is for folk to post vintage cycle ads which they find interesting; here's a few to get you going

Image

cheers


You weren't asking for favourites Brucey - but this has to be mine -

Quiet English scene.
Quiet English village.
Quiet English young lady.

No motors.
Someone enjoying quiet, relaxed leisure cycling,
No pressure,
No rain, and whilst you can't see it, the sun is shining..............
All when the world was young - a world that will never come back - peace and quiet.

Those were the days - the days when I first road from Halifax via Keighley to Morecambe Bay with my school gaberdine strapped around the top tube in case it rained, on what is now A629, A62 and A683 which were quiet and there was little traffic - and the few motorists respected the life of a 12 years-old cyclist.


Tony Hadland in 'Raleigh, past and presence of an Iconic Bicycle Brand' says the 'Lady in Red' first appeared in Dutch Raleigh's 1922 catalogue and he points to the un-English village scene in the background as evidence that neither the girl or the advertisement are of English origin.
Certainly the cottages in the background look continental to me.

RubaDub
Posts: 31
Joined: 30 Mar 2019, 10:27am

Re: Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

Postby RubaDub » 15 Aug 2019, 10:53pm

The Irish Cyclist December 1903 and a not so subtle appeal to nationalist sentiment.
Image (95).jpg

JohnW
Posts: 6301
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

Postby JohnW » 15 Aug 2019, 10:54pm

Brucey wrote:
JohnW wrote:
Brucey wrote:you might like this one too, then; more a dream than a reality of course, but what is life without dreams?

Yes - but who's the bloke?


its your dream, so whoever you like...

cheers

He's not in my dream Brucey.

JohnW
Posts: 6301
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

Postby JohnW » 15 Aug 2019, 10:57pm

RubaDub wrote:
JohnW wrote:
Brucey wrote:This thread is for folk to post vintage cycle ads which they find interesting; here's a few to get you going

Image

cheers


You weren't asking for favourites Brucey - but this has to be mine -

Quiet English scene.
Quiet English village.
Quiet English young lady.

No motors.
Someone enjoying quiet, relaxed leisure cycling,
No pressure,
No rain, and whilst you can't see it, the sun is shining..............
All when the world was young - a world that will never come back - peace and quiet.

Those were the days - the days when I first road from Halifax via Keighley to Morecambe Bay with my school gaberdine strapped around the top tube in case it rained, on what is now A629, A62 and A683 which were quiet and there was little traffic - and the few motorists respected the life of a 12 years-old cyclist.


Tony Hadland in 'Raleigh, past and presence of an Iconic Bicycle Brand' says the 'Lady in Red' first appeared in Dutch Raleigh's 1922 catalogue and he points to the un-English village scene in the background as evidence that neither the girl or the advertisement are of English origin.
Certainly the cottages in the background look continental to me.


OK - sorry - actually I think you're right - but that's spoilt it for me now. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Brucey
Posts: 37358
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

Postby Brucey » 15 Aug 2019, 11:19pm

JohnW wrote:
Brucey wrote:
JohnW wrote:Yes - but who's the bloke?


its your dream, so whoever you like...

cheers

He's not in my dream Brucey.


In my dream, I am that man... which means the ad is probably working for me; the basic idea is that you identify with the characters in the ad, because you either want to be with someone like them and/or be someone like them.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brucey
Posts: 37358
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

Postby Brucey » 15 Aug 2019, 11:30pm

Hercules were the brand that you might buy if you couldn't afford a Raleigh or a Rudge. Just not quite as well made, and arguably much better value. Here they seem to be trying to pitch their 1939 'Model G' machine slightly up-market; the province of dapper pipe-smoking chaps, rather than impoverished scruffbags. FWIW I have owned a machine of this type complete with 28" wheels and quadrant shifter. Being a scruffbag, I didn't keep it long...

Image
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RubaDub
Posts: 31
Joined: 30 Mar 2019, 10:27am

Re: Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

Postby RubaDub » 15 Aug 2019, 11:36pm

1902

P1010116.JPG

Brucey
Posts: 37358
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

Postby Brucey » 15 Aug 2019, 11:45pm

Columbia were a long standing American bike brand, who had been making bicycles since the days of the 'ordinary'. Of course they had to try to move with the times, and in the late 60's/early 1970s that meant making chopper style bikes. Their effort here seems to lack springs on the seat and the front wheel looks as if it might have suspension, but actually the complicated mess of parts is all bolted together rigidly; no suspension here. Redeeming features (not that anything could entirely redeem this machine....) include that there are two brakes and the gear lever is not entirely designed as a weapon of mass evisceration. The handlebars were clearly for those who couldn't make up their mind if they wanted a steering wheel or not. I'll have mine in groovy green please.

Image
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brucey
Posts: 37358
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

Postby Brucey » 15 Aug 2019, 11:53pm

from the 1930s, I think. 'Cruising' is a word which has had many uses, I'm not sure they would use it in a bicycle ad these days...

Image
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RubaDub
Posts: 31
Joined: 30 Mar 2019, 10:27am

Re: Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

Postby RubaDub » 15 Aug 2019, 11:57pm

Cycling magazine 1919

Image (304).jpg
Image (305).jpg
Image (306).jpg

Brucey
Posts: 37358
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

Postby Brucey » 15 Aug 2019, 11:59pm

ah the 1970s... the decade that taste forgot? Would anything about this encourage you to go out and buy a bike?

Image
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brucey
Posts: 37358
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

from sublime to ridiculous

Postby Brucey » 16 Aug 2019, 12:28am

The Gios brothers of Turin must have thought they could do no wrong when they were lucky enough to have the irrepressible Roger de Vlaeminck ride their bikes. Just look at that bike; classy or what? All the way from its purposeful angles to its immaculate Super Record Groupset, 'super bicis' like this one suddenly went to the top of everyone's drool-list.

Image

However most folk had to make do with a lesser Gios branded product such as this;

Image

Yes, if you parked your nearly-all-steel-and-plastic Gios using the approved 'stone under the sidestand' accessory, a man would park his Gios van across the road, and release a dog which would jump over your bike on command. Or something. Mind you it could be worse, you might end up with one of these out of the Gios lineup;

Image

The Gios easy rider; an ideal present for kids who, er, want to emulate the stars of the film...? Rehab clinic booking and bullet proof vest an optional extra...?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

User avatar
Sweep
Posts: 6029
Joined: 20 Oct 2011, 4:57pm
Location: London

Re: Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

Postby Sweep » 16 Aug 2019, 7:56am

Brucey wrote:ah the 1970s... the decade that taste forgot? Would anything about this encourage you to go out and buy a bike?

Image

Bit cruel on the 70s there I think brucey :)
A much maligned decade.
I quite like that ad - and it is multiracial.
Great thread - some wonderful Raleigh artwork. Almost deserve a museum/gallery.
Does the cycle museum in wales have a poster/ad section?
Sweep