Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JohnW

Re: Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

Postby JohnW » 2 Sep 2019, 9:19pm

Brucey wrote:for some reason they are often known as 'knee-length stockings' in golfing circles.

For example this is a shop that sells golf socks and nothing else (it is in the name)

https://matchplaygolfsocks.co.uk/shop/viewcategory.php?groupid=62

but it has a separate listing for 'knee length stockings'.

cheers

Thanks for the info Brucey.

Now people may laugh at this :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , but when I was just starting cycling, in the late 1950s, trousers that finished just below the knee were very common - in fact I wore such things in winter (my mother cut down old trousers for the purpose) and I remember having some bright orange socks :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - visibility conscious even in those days.............I've ridden miles, even to work in the worst of weathers in that rig. It was a common solution to the cold, before we could all afford the purpose made 'plusses'. Some of the better off had them made-to-measure at Hebden Cord.

Some of the illustrations in your adverts are redolent of them!

bagpussctc

Postby bagpussctc » 2 Sep 2019, 10:18pm

Nowt wrong knee length .
I have a pair of Hebden Bridge knee length cords , given to me slightly used ,they are bomb proof and comfortable .They are perfect for when riding one of my vintage bikes . Have long socks as well :lol: :lol: Woollen top to match and cloth cap :lol:
Working on a pipe and a Hovis .

No spandex on a classic machine please :roll:

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 2 Sep 2019, 11:51pm

Scintilla sold/built AW hubs (amongst other things) under licence. These days they are perhaps best known as suppliers of motors etc for Bosch power tools.

Coventry Eagle

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 3 Sep 2019, 8:57am

stocking |ˈstɒkɪŋ|
noun
a women's garment, typically made of translucent nylon or silk, that fits closely over the foot and is held up by suspenders or an elasticated strip at the upper thigh.
• short for Christmas stocking.
• US or archaic a long sock worn by men.

sock |sɒk|
noun
a garment for the foot and lower part of the leg, typically knitted from wool, cotton, or nylon.
Mick F. Cornwall

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 3 Sep 2019, 10:13am

you don't say what dictionary you used but that definition is well out of date. One of the most prevalent uses of the word 'stockings' is currently in relation to (unisex) 'compression stockings' or 'support stockings', which appear (from the number and type of hits using search engines) to be about three times more commonplace than the equivalent terms 'support socks' and 'compression socks'.

In fact most of the hits for the latter terms direct you straight to pages with titles including the word 'stockings'.

cheers

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 3 Sep 2019, 10:22am

Brucey wrote:Image

Scintilla sold/built AW hubs (amongst other things) under licence. These days they are perhaps best known as suppliers of motors etc for Bosch power tools.

That's a lovely picture - and the link between motors and the "helping hands" in the picture is delightful. I would like to start a racing team and put that on the side of the vans :P

Ant...

Postby Ant... » 3 Sep 2019, 10:41am

Just gone through the whole thread, (been on tour) brilliant! Have decided the French had the best posters, British next and the Septics made some of the ugliest bikes ever. :D

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 3 Sep 2019, 10:57am

Brucey wrote:you don't say what dictionary you used but that definition is well out of date. One of the most prevalent uses of the word 'stockings' is currently in relation to (unisex) 'compression stockings' or 'support stockings', which appear (from the number and type of hits using search engines) to be about three times more commonplace than the equivalent terms 'support socks' and 'compression socks'.

In fact most of the hits for the latter terms direct you straight to pages with titles including the word 'stockings'.

cheers

Whatever the cold hard facts Brucey, and/or historical (or hysterical :lol: ) definitions, I wear socks :D , and not stockings :roll: :wink: :( .

The Americans, of course, have some very interesting usage of words.
To hold up my plusses (knee-length cycling trousers) I wear 'braces' :D - elasticated supports which go over my shoulders and either clip or button to the waistband at the top of the trousers.
Americans call them 'suspenders' :lol: :roll: :shock: :wink: .

Don't try to picture this, but the idea of blokes turning up for a clubrun wearing stockings and suspenders............................... :shock: :shock: :shock:
We cyclists must stick to SOCKS! :D :D :D

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 3 Sep 2019, 11:00am

mattheus wrote:
Brucey wrote:Image

That's a lovely picture - and the link between motors and the "helping hands" in the picture is delightful. I would like to start a racing team and put that on the side of the vans :P

And notice the 'Dynohub'.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 3 Sep 2019, 10:08pm

my (probably pretty rotten) French language knowledge suggests that the wording says 'creator of autogenous welding in bicycle frames from 1900'; this means basically adding no filler, just fusing what is there already, with some kind of localised heat source. This differs from most welding processes; they usually add filler material to accommodate gaps and to change the chemistry in the weld. I have no idea what welding process would have been used; things such as shielding gases, fluxes etc were in their infancy back then.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 3 Sep 2019, 10:15pm

another diaphanously dressed young lady pedalling her wares (groan). The thing is, she is somewhat, er, robustly built, unlike the bike, which looks engineered to have something approximating a hinge in the middle of the frame. Forget the lightning bolts, it looks to me as if the first bump (*) will see a structural failure of some kind, either in the bike..... or perhaps the garments....

fat tyres were probably required on the roads of the time; they may have been 650Cs.

(*) or bad attack of wind perhaps; 'ouragan' is French for 'hurricane'....
Last edited by Brucey on 3 Sep 2019, 11:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 3 Sep 2019, 10:36pm

the Gazelle brand was owned by Raleigh for many years, and very many Gazelle bikes were built in Nottingham. In this incarnation (which I'm guessing is from the 1950s) it even says 'Nottingham' on the Gazelle head badge. Later gazelles were assembled in The Netherlands, and had different badging, but for a long time still used a lot of Raleigh parts.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 3 Sep 2019, 10:41pm

Croquet or bike polo? There are no hoops on show and the ball is small and white, but even so it is not 100% clear. Bike polo has been going for longer than you might expect, but the form most likely to be played today is relatively recent.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 3 Sep 2019, 10:51pm

'the most fashionable bicycle in the World' , 'from your seven star dealer'. They couldn't carry on with this line of talk in advertisements; they ran out of superlatives (not to mention stars)….

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 3 Sep 2019, 10:58pm

a nice bicycle is just what you need when you chat the girls up, if you are a Matador, it seems...