Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Brucey

Re: Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

Post by Brucey »

"...increases your pleasure by 100 per cent....." is a strapline which might be used for other things these days....

from 1904. Interesting to see that those who were diagnosed with presumably vague ailments such as 'heart weakness' might be given hope thusly.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Brucey wrote:Image

given that they revised the Super Record after quite a short period of time, it turned out to be more 'the penultimate derailleur'....?

cheers

two parts in that diagram are plugge as being made of "special alloy"

any idea what these mysterious substances are brucey?
Sweep
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

other than they are forged from an aluminium alloy which is then anodised, I don't know exactly what the 'special alloy' is. NB the plastic pulleys are 'special' too.

cheers
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

image from http://www.disraeligears.co.uk

When 'super record' was a new idea it had a whole host of Ti parts including BB spindle, pedal spindles. By the time these parts had seen the harsh test that is professional racing, several of them didn't cut the mustard. I wonder what the satellites were like..... :shock:

Review of group here

'the snap of a racing set'.... ha.... it turned out that the first version of the Rally mech developed a reputation for an altogether different kind of 'snap'; there is a severe cutaway below the top knuckle and it just wasn't strong enough for hard use or something; there were three different variants of the drop cage rally, each with greater reinforcement than the last.

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 9 Jul 2020, 9:33am, edited 2 times in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

And that ad should have read

ComplEment

Unless of course their bits are in the habit of singing the praises of each other.
Sweep
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Brucey wrote:
francovendee wrote:...Does anyone know if there was a group of artists turning out these posters or was it more like Pub signs where the originator was largely unknown?

It varies; some of the posters would have been commissioned (at some expense, presumably) from well-known artists of the time; for example Alphonse Mucha (as seen upthread). These are often signed and/or the attribution is well known. Others rather less so. At best this is good art and/or wonderfully creative. However much of it was churned out (to time/budget) by folk who remained fairly anonymous, perhaps hidden behind the name of the agency they worked for. My idea was to include anything that is interesting, but that can be for many different reasons of course.

cheers

In the 80s I worked with a draughtsman who churned out The sort of stuff that went on the front of Haynes manuals I think, or it could've been manufacturing stuff definitely cars.
I believe that he did the drawn diagrams for minis at the time.
I'm not sure he was an artist though it's very possible he produced section drawings and then traced over them by hand.
Correction, he produced isometric section drawings, some draughtsman have a very artistic flair, so people think they look like freehand drawing. It's a long time ago so quite Have been a perspective drawing.
Another draughtsman at the time was in two nude paintings, his his work for mechanical parts, draughtsman, always included an artist impression of the part (Isometric/perspective)
Ignore this above I am In the wrong place :lol:
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 9 Jul 2020, 5:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

cheers
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

[edit; I have just worked out why I look at this picture and think 'breakfast'.....]
Last edited by Brucey on 11 Jul 2020, 4:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjb

Post by rjb »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Brucey wrote:
francovendee wrote:...Does anyone know if there was a group of artists turning out these posters or was it more like Pub signs where the originator was largely unknown?

It varies; some of the posters would have been commissioned (at some expense, presumably) from well-known artists of the time; for example Alphonse Mucha (as seen upthread). These are often signed and/or the attribution is well known. Others rather less so. At best this is good art and/or wonderfully creative. However much of it was churned out (to time/budget) by folk who remained fairly anonymous, perhaps hidden behind the name of the agency they worked for. My idea was to include anything that is interesting, but that can be for many different reasons of course.

cheers

In the 80s I worked with a draughtsman who churned out The sort of stuff that went on the front of Haynes manuals I think, or it could've been manufacturing stuff definitely cars.
I believe that he did the drawn diagrams for minis at the time.
I'm not sure he was an artist though it's very possible he produced section drawings and then traced over them by hand.
Correction, he produced isometric section drawings, some draughtsman have a very artistic flair, so people think they look like freehand drawing. It's a long time ago so quite Have been a perspective drawing.
Another draughtsman at the time was in two nude paintings, his his work for mechanical parts, draughtsman, always included an artist impression of the part (Isometric/perspective)
Ignore this above I am In the wrong place :lol:

i was shown how to make simple isometric drawings at college using paper with a triangular grid marked on it. Nowadays people will use cad to produce these things.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yes that should've been posted on the post about the guy who illustrated bicycle parts, Forgotten his name for the moment.
You can produce Virtually anything you want via CAD, Then there are many follow-on programs that will produce lifelike images rendering et cetera et cetera.

to look more realistic of course they have to be drawn in perspective as opposed to isometric.
The artist that does the pushbike parts (well I don't know if he is artist or what?) Like Brucey has said on that post very possible images are projected and then it's traced over.
The technical skill in doing this in technical drawing mode it's probably just too hard and too difficult to get correct?
The images do look incredibly correct.
Likewise with artists drawn views like on postcards, some of them we're obviously hand done, Numbers that's the quantities they were turning out seem like you would need an army of artist to produce that stuff?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
corduroy

Post by corduroy »

Brucey wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 11:11pm A hundred years of bicycle development had lead us to the highly triangulated diamond frame as an efficient solution. We obviously don't need any of that in a Chopper; the rear can be made a quadrilateral so that it will break at the corners. And they did....
When I was a kid, I had a bike that I dimly recall looking something like this one.
One day I was riding it in a crosswalk at a four-way intersection and it literally broke in half underneath me.
One of the horizontal members (either the thck diagonal or the two top bars) broke away at the front post.
The bike wasn't completely separated in two, but it was unrideable and I had to push it home.
I don't know for sure it was this model bike, but given your observation, it sure could have been.

I still remember seeing the teenagers in one of the cars stopped at the light laughing hysterically :)