Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JohnW

Re: Vintage Bicycle Advertisements; good, bad. ugly...

Postby JohnW » 29 Aug 2019, 10:08am

Brucey wrote:Image

Would Sir Walter Raleigh have approved of an outlaw like Robin Hood? - he'd soon have seen him off.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 29 Aug 2019, 10:17am

JohnW wrote:

Would Sir Walter Raleigh have approved of an outlaw like Robin Hood? - he'd soon have seen him off.[/quote]

I suppose Raleigh kept his piracy for abroad, but he made a lot more dosh stealing than Robin Hood.

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 29 Aug 2019, 11:35am

These are great! At first I thought they might be recent posters purely for the Eastern markets. But then I googled them. USA apparently ...

https://blog.ohhdeer.com/home/raleigh-heritage-poster

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 29 Aug 2019, 11:45am

mattheus wrote:
These are great! ....

I thought they were something a bit different too; I wondered if the first one might be vintage until I clocked the bike/rider. The disc brakes and helmet are a bit of a giveaway!

Nice link BTW

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

slowster

Postby slowster » 29 Aug 2019, 12:02pm

JohnW wrote:
slowster wrote:
JohnW wrote:Noting the Raleigh "All Steel" strapline, I have to ask - what other material were bikes made of at that time?
(Excepting the obvious - e.g. tyres, saddles, brakeblocks et al).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPa-oie8xYg

Watch from 6 mins 15 secs in.

Thanks slowster - but neither I nor my computer was up to that. I don't have sound for a start.
Can anyone else answer the question?

The video at that point describes how Raleigh made innovations in the production of its bikes, one of which was to fabricate bottom brackets from pressed steel, instead of the usual cast iron.

Incidentally if you have access to BBC iPlayer I think the programme may still be on there.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 29 Aug 2019, 12:26pm

Mike Sales wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Would Sir Walter Raleigh have approved of an outlaw like Robin Hood? - he'd soon have seen him off.

I suppose Raleigh kept his piracy for abroad, but he made a lot more dosh stealing than Robin Hood.[/quote]

Shades of Trump then - don't tell me Trump is descended from Raleigh?

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 29 Aug 2019, 12:54pm

slowster wrote:...............The video at that point describes how Raleigh made innovations in the production of its bikes, one of which was to fabricate bottom brackets from pressed steel, instead of the usual cast iron.

Incidentally if you have access to BBC iPlayer I think the programme may still be on there.

Ah - I see - thanks slowster :D :D :D - and that certainly rings true. When I was young (in the 1950s) and just sort of learning to cycle, some of the old guys, who were my mentors and from who I learned, joked about each other as having cast iron bottoms ("last up th'ill must 'av a cast iron buttock" :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

Actually, this has been 'moderated' - I didn't use the word "Buttock" - the word I used began with an "A" - I genuinely don't know what's wrong with that word :roll: :roll: :roll: . But - "buttock" is totally inappropriate :roll: :roll: :roll: , having quite different meaning. Let's see what they make of "bum" .

It makes sense of course because fabrication of such items is cheaper than casting, and pressed steel obviously lighter.

Coming more up to date, cast steel lugs and BB shells are considered as being 'better' than welded pressed steel. They are more expensive. The word 'Nervex' springs to mind. Something for Brucey to wax lyrical about here.

When did the change from CI to pressed steel begin? - must've been before the war.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 29 Aug 2019, 12:56pm

mattheus wrote:

These are great! At first I thought they might be recent posters purely for the Eastern markets. But then I googled them. USA apparently ...

https://blog.ohhdeer.com/home/raleigh-heritage-poster

I had wondered about the helmets!

rjb

Postby rjb » 29 Aug 2019, 1:10pm

There's something sinister about that advert. Its reminiscent of the Blitz with the ww2 helmet and the colours of London's Burning. The all steel slogan is a bit misleading as it's probably an aluminium frame judging by the disc brakes and aluminium rims. I bet the steel content is limited to a few bearings, axles, nuts and bolts, saddle rail, pressed steel deraileur bits and cables.
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 29 Aug 2019, 1:22pm

rjb wrote:There's something sinister about that advert. Its reminiscent of the Blitz with the ww2 helmet and the colours of London's Burning. The all steel slogan is a bit misleading as it's probably an aluminium frame judging by the disc brakes and aluminium rims. I bet the steel content is limited to a few bearings, axles, nuts and bolts, saddle rail, pressed steel deraileur bits and cables.

Now you come to mention it rjb, there is something a bit sinister about the composition and the colouring.
There are other imponderables as well - apart from the ARP warden riding a (relatively) modern bike, he's not carrying his gas mask over his shoulder!

rjb

Postby rjb » 29 Aug 2019, 1:35pm

JohnW wrote:Now you come to mention it rjb, there is something a bit sinister about the composition and the colouring.
There are other imponderables as well - apart from the ARP warden riding a (relatively) modern bike, he's not carrying his gas mask over his shoulder!

I know, it's just missing the mushroom cloud to complete the impending feeling of doom. :shock:
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 29 Aug 2019, 3:36pm

slowster wrote:...................

Thanks slowster - I don't have that either. Never mind, eh? - you've given me the facts.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 29 Aug 2019, 3:39pm

rjb wrote:
JohnW wrote:Now you come to mention it rjb, there is something a bit sinister about the composition and the colouring.

I know, it's just missing the mushroom cloud to complete the impending feeling of doom. :shock:

Hmmmm - we've got that anyway!

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 29 Aug 2019, 3:59pm

I'm not sure exactly when this ad is from, but the quadrant shifter and expanding hub brake suggests 1930s and the 'Raleigh lighting unit' is (I think) the immediate predecessor to the Dynohub.

SA didn't offer both an expanding hub brake and a hub dynamo in the same hub; I have seen exactly one such device though (using period parts); it was made by an owner who wanted both, BITD. In 1980-something, I was examining this arrangement on a bike parked in the street when the owner turned up. He explained that his father had made the conversion, about fifty years earlier, which explained why I'd never seen one before.

In the ad below it looks as if it costs an extra 28/- to have a SA 3s hub; a significant fraction of the cost of the whole bike.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 30 Aug 2019, 7:43pm

1936 Humber ad. By this time Humber was another Raleigh owned brand. This ad. clearly says 20/- extra for a SA 3s gear.

from1899