Where is this?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Where is this?

Post by Mick F »

We need the OP - Foxyrider - to produce a more detailed picture.
If he has the original, it needs scanning.
Mick F. Cornwall
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

There are more pictures. Are they in any kind of order? If so, is it possible to map any of the other locations, before and after to figure out a route. Or single out the pictures with the same group in the same clothes? May as well get going on the others too, this may take some time.

If it is beside what's now the A55, are there any photos showing where they may have been going? Llandudno, Snowdonia, Anglesey, Ireland?
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I'm having a quick look at www.britainfromabove.org.uk but may well get sidetracked.
philsknees

Post by philsknees »

I agree with Mick F that it would greatly help trace the location if Foxyrider would clarify exactly what was visible in the original photo which resulted in the square sign being identified as a United bus stop. Small square enamel bus stop signs of that type were widely in use by operators at the time and any detail apparent on the original may point to the particular company running services in the area of the photo.
Other than that we're just left scratching around for (possibly long demolished?) Singing Kettle establishments that existed 80 years ago across widespread areas of the UK's limestone topography.
Just to throw another spanner in the works it looks to me as though Crosville were the main bus operators in northeast Wales in the 1930s (though they were actively buying out various existing small local bus operators in the inter-war years so may not have had a monopoly until later). As I intimated upthread United Cymru seem to have operated services mainly in South Wales & while further research has turned up a host of other bus companies operating across England & Wales incorporating "United" in their names, so far I haven't been able to find one operating local services in the Lloc area.