Cycling London to Amsterdam

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tunaistanbul

Cycling London to Amsterdam

Postby tunaistanbul » 10 Aug 2019, 12:59pm

Hi everyone;

I plan a roadtrip with my bike from London to Amsterdam. And few days later gonna turn back. Did anyone do this lately? I need tips for ferries and great road location. GPS doesnt work wee every time.

mjr

Re: Cycling London to Amsterdam

Postby mjr » 10 Aug 2019, 3:34pm

National Cycle Route 13 Limehouse to Rainham, back roads Ockendon to Braintree, NCR 13 north to NCR 1, east to Colchester then NCR 51 to Harwich. Overnight ferry to Hook of Holland. Then along the coast cycleway aka dune way until you reach LF20 which goes to Amsterdam or to be frank, in that country, Amsterdam may well be on the red/green cycle route signs once you get to Rotterdam or Den Haag.

I've not ridden the edge of London-Colchester bit or LF20 but I've ridden other bits and that's how I'd do it, probably after checking out those back roads on street view or traffic heatmaps.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

JakobW

Postby JakobW » 11 Aug 2019, 10:05am

I did London-Harwich last summer using cycle.travel's route, which worked pretty well. I didn't have a GPS, but printed off the cycle.travel route maps (and cue sheets for the tricky bits) - I did use my phone to help escape the twisty maze of Chelmsford.

The route's roughly NCR 13 to South Hornchurch, then NCR 136 up past Uxbridge, at which point it heads to the lanes (South Weald - Blackmore - Writtle), and rejoins NCR 1 at Chelmsford; it then more or less follows NCR 1/51 all the way to Harwich. It's quite a pleasant day's ride, but if I were doing it again I'd be tempted to get the train to Harwich and have an extra day's cycling in NL.

Ron

Postby Ron » 11 Aug 2019, 10:51am

tunaistanbul wrote: I need tips for ferries and great road location. GPS doesnt work wee every time.

Do you want the shortest London-Amsterdam route or are you considering a round tour? There are countless options, taking a south coast ferry to France and cycling through Belgium towards NL, returning to UK via the Ijmuiden ferry to Newcastle taking the train back to London. The fastest route would probably be via the Harwich -Hook of Holland Ferry but again there are many options between Hook of Holland and Amsterdam. Don't worry about lack of GPS, follow the cycle path signing and back that up with a paper map. Most of the trip in NL will be on segregated or roads with light motor traffic.

tunaistanbul

Postby tunaistanbul » 11 Aug 2019, 5:42pm

Ron wrote:
tunaistanbul wrote: I need tips for ferries and great road location. GPS doesnt work wee every time.

Do you want the shortest London-Amsterdam route or are you considering a round tour? There are countless options, taking a south coast ferry to France and cycling through Belgium towards NL, returning to UK via the Ijmuiden ferry to Newcastle taking the train back to London. The fastest route would probably be via the Harwich -Hook of Holland Ferry but again there are many options between Hook of Holland and Amsterdam. Don't worry about lack of GPS, follow the cycle path signing and back that up with a paper map. Most of the trip in NL will be on segregated or roads with light motor traffic.

Did you use that road before?

atlas_shrugged

Postby atlas_shrugged » 11 Aug 2019, 7:36pm

There is only the one route and it is vunderbar.

Take the Harwich to Hook of Holland Ferry. From there follow the Lf1 coastal route. This takes you almost all the way to Amsterdam. At some point you head towards Amsterdam. Try and make sure you understand the NL cycle route system for navigation into Amsterdam. This is based on giving each junction a number and the cycle routes are signed towards each junction. You then just follow a sequence of numbers to your destination. Probably the easiest method is to follow a big canal or river then it is almost impossible to get lost.

mikeonabike

Postby mikeonabike » 11 Aug 2019, 7:38pm

JakobW wrote:I did London-Harwich last summer using cycle.travel's route, which worked pretty well. I didn't have a GPS, but printed off the cycle.travel route maps (and cue sheets for the tricky bits) - I did use my phone to help escape the twisty maze of Chelmsford.

The route's roughly NCR 13 to South Hornchurch, then NCR 136 up past Uxbridge, at which point it heads to the lanes (South Weald - Blackmore - Writtle), and rejoins NCR 1 at Chelmsford; it then more or less follows NCR 1/51 all the way to Harwich. It's quite a pleasant day's ride, but if I were doing it again I'd be tempted to get the train to Harwich and have an extra day's cycling in NL.

I agree that NCR 13 is best way out of London, but then I prefer to avoid getting lost in Chelmsford, so stick to country lanes: North Ockendon, Ramsden Bellhouse, Danbury, then pick up NCR 1 past Wickham Bishops towards Colchester.

My route is about 150km, so a nice days ride and no rush if you are aiming for the evening ferry.

mjr

Postby mjr » 11 Aug 2019, 10:19pm

I had a little browse and checked my photos and Amsterdam is definitely cycle route signposted from Leiden, just inland from LF1 at Noordwijk, but I didn't spot signs from den Haag or Rotterdam yet.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.