Bad Knees and Bike Size

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
BikeBuddha

Bad Knees and Bike Size

Post by BikeBuddha »

Hello

I am brand new to touring. A friend lent me a 51 cm Koga world traveller, with a view to sell it for me for £1500.

I am 6ft, and from charts, seem to need a 57cm+ frame.

When riding bike my knees began to hurt and they are not good after 100 Km.

Is it the frame size? Do I just raise the seat post further? OR is the bike geometry just too small for me?

The bike is a few years old but not used much. It retails around £2000, and I am not sure this is a good buy at £1500. So, looking at dawes galaxy, the new Koga, or a Oxford Expedition. Bear in mind I have no experience of touring, and only began because my Achilles tendons do not allow me to go hill walking for the foreseeable future.

Thank you for any advice you can give.

Cheers
TrevA

Re: Bad Knees and Bike Size

Post by TrevA »

Yes the bike is far too small for you. I’m slightly taller than you and ride a 58cm frame on both my road and touring bikes. It’s not just the seat post height, you will too scrunched up on it. For seat height, your leg should be almost straight if you put your heel on the pedal at the bottom of the pedal stroke, whilst sitting in the saddle and you should just be able to just touch the ground with your tiptoes.

You probably had your seat far too low which is why your knees hurt. The bike is not suitable for you. It is for someone about 5ft 6in.

You could get a new Dawes Super Galaxy for around £1100. I would say the Koga is a bit overpriced for a secondhand bike.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

BikeBuddha wrote:When riding bike my knees began to hurt and they are not good after 100 Km.

Cheers

I've no idea on bike sizing since I ride a recumbent ......... :D
But what was your cadence and how much pressure were you putting on the pedals with each stroke ??

A slow cadence with a lot of pressure on the pedals tends to put a lot of stress/strain on your knees.
If this sounds like how you ride then try getting in the habit of a slightly higher cadence with less pressure on your feet by changing down one gear.
You're not aiming for a silly high cadence as this will just tire you out, but just less pressure on your feet which equals less stress/strain on your knees.
I've had to learn to do that due to having bad knees.

Luck ............. :D
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I agree that is too small. Nonetheless...

How "brand new" are you to touring - or do you mean cycling generally? I ask because 100 kms is a fair distance for a beginner. Once loaded up and doing it day after day, many average something a bit lower - 80 kms is common. Of course plenty do go well over the 100 each day, but they will normally be experienced long distance touring cyclists.

I would say that the bike is definitely overpriced, particularly as it is "a few years old". Nowadays maybe it retails at £2000, but what did it retail when it was bought (always check original receipt to ensure its a genuine sale). Also the spec of components is constantly changing and even if it was top of the range when bought, it won't be now.I doubt its worth even £1,000 on the open market.

Should've said at the start - welcome to the wonderful world of touring. Lots of advice to be found here and on the Touring forum. Enjoy.

Edit A different model, but there is a second hand Kioga on the Bikes for sale forum, probably too small, but will give an idea of pricing (£550) viewtopic.php?f=40&t=131952
BikeBuddha

Post by BikeBuddha »

Thank you, everyone.

Very kind for you to reply.

You validated what i kind of knew, but needed to check.

I have seen a Dawes ultra galaxy, a ridgeback epedition, and giant srl1, and looking to buy those instead. Not sure which is best to buy, but will have to buy online as all away out on north end of skye.

I thought it best to get into a cheaper bike, than jumping for a koga or Oxford Bikeworks Expedition straight off.

I have a crazy idea of touring the world. Hence Koga world traveller, which has a new edition apparently.

Anyway, thank you again. Much appreciated.
hondated

Post by hondated »

simonhill wrote:I agree that is too small. Nonetheless...

How "brand new" are you to touring - or do you mean cycling generally? I ask because 100 kms is a fair distance for a beginner. Once loaded up and doing it day after day, many average something a bit lower - 80 kms is common. Of course plenty do go well over the 100 each day, but they will normally be experienced long distance touring cyclists.

I would say that the bike is definitely overpriced, particularly as it is "a few years old". Nowadays maybe it retails at £2000, but what did it retail when it was bought (always check original receipt to ensure its a genuine sale). Also the spec of components is constantly changing and even if it was top of the range when bought, it won't be now.I doubt its worth even £1,000 on the open market.

Should've said at the start - welcome to the wonderful world of touring. Lots of advice to be found here and on the Touring forum. Enjoy.

Edit A different model, but there is a second hand Kioga on the Bikes for sale forum, probably too small, but will give an idea of pricing (£550) viewtopic.php?f=40&t=131952

And theres another one Simon :wink: :lol: