What3words

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
philvantwo

Re: What3words

Post by philvantwo »

No 3 word's from mick f today!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry, been away at a retirement do and BBQ, and camped overnight in the HUGE garden.

Normal service may resume tomorrow. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F in his bivouac?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

First time we've been camping in a dozen years.
Took Sailor Dog too. His first foray into the world of tents.

Loads of people and children there. Sailor had a marvellous time ....... running, barking, playing, chasing, more running, more barking, more chasing ........ then eating leftovers from the BBQ .................. and since we got home this morning just before 11am, he's slept solidly. We don't expect him to wake up until this evening. :lol:

Mind you, we're knackered too. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

He's woken a few times, and had something to eat. Had a cuddle or two, and had a bit of a play, but he's back asleep now. Hardly been awake for more than five minutes at a time.
Going on seven hours since we got home, and he slept for the three-quarters of an hour in the car too on the way back.

We're going to pay for this tomorrow! :shock:
Mick F. Cornwall
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What about sailor.dogs.town ?
Bunker Hill.
Huston, Texas.
Mick F. Cornwall
freiston

Post by freiston »

Mick F wrote::)
No, sorry, I wasn't, but I knew it would raise a comment!
Yes, I was right at the signposts.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.50351 ... 312!8i6656
Moulton was leaning on the finger post and I was standing on the plinth keeping my head away from the fingers as they are rather low.

The Victoria Inn in Pensilva was a brilliant pub back in the day when we went there a few times. Arthur was a the landlord and he was an ex merchant seaman. He and I chatted about a life at sea. :D
It was a Courage pub in those days, and we've probably not been in there since Arthur retired ......... maybe the mid 1990s.

However, on my way back on my 23.56mile ride with a total ascent of 2,734ft = 118.85ft per mile ............ I called in at spokes.tonal.petted for a pint and a chat with the lady behind the bar who we've known for 30odd years.

Home now, beanz on toast for lunch.

The funny thing is that the googlemaps link that you provided has the latitude and longitude very early on and obvious in the url. If I copy and paste that straight into google earth (not maps) search box, it gives the following (with no three words).
Screenshot from 2019-08-25 22-11-18.png

Personally, I use either OS Locate on my phone - from which I can use a share button to send the grid ref and a link to a map for anyone receiving the message (as a text, email, whatsapp message or any other way that my phone can send the data) to click on and see where I am, or I use the Grid Ref app by Mike Irving which will message the grid ref but it gives me the longitude & latitude too. Even without google earth, apple maps etc. and only with paper OS maps, the recipient can find where I am. If I've really screwed up my navigation, I can use the apps without a phone signal and find my position on a paper map too. 3words is a severely limited system (especially with the proprietary software & code that is necessary to use it) compared and offers nothing different other than possibly something easier to commit to memory (which isn't that useful in most situations). It certainly isn't easier to use than the OS Locate message with linked map.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

My problem with all app-based and phone-based system is that it relies on several key things:
The phone is with you
It has a charge
It is undamaged
It has a signal
It has the App

Take any one of these away and you are stymied.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Cunobelin wrote:My problem with all app-based and phone-based system is that it relies on several key things:
The phone is with you
It has a charge
It is undamaged
It has a signal
It has the App

Although I roughly agree with that and I agree that to rely on a phone for navigation when knowing your location in an emergency is vital and would be foolhardy (so not, for example, finding the nearest pub to your hotel), I understand that this topic is discussing the suitability/pros/cons of the tool for telling people where you are. Generally speaking, if you can tell someone directly, they know where you are because they are there too. If you tell someone by mobile phone then the key things listed above are already met. If you use a payphone, then it will provide your position. If you signal to someone then they will see you. The only other scenario I can think of is radio - but I suspect that someone carrying a radio (in the UK) will be equipped otherwise for geolocation.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cunobelin wrote:My problem with all app-based and phone-based system is that it relies on several key things:
The phone is with you
It has a charge
It is undamaged
It has a signal
It has the App

No, not stymied though you do need an undamaged mobile phone with a signal.
Charge it up - difficult if you are out and away from civilisation though.
If you don't have the app, and you have a signal etc, download the app.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Most people are never more than a few feet away from their phone......me included!
I just can't see the point of this 3 words thing though, surely more people have got whatsapp so just send them your location on that and they can see instantly where you are! Why is mick f raving about this 3 words app?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There's more ways of skinning a cat ........ as we are discussing.
Why W3W is getting a slating I don't really understand but if you take the argument further, maybe W3W is rubbish.

I like it coz it's quirky and fun. Seemingly random words that providing you have a good GPS signal on your phone, will get you in a few meters of your true location. Even if it's ten or fifteen metres out, so what?
The idea is that by texting or speaking your three word triplet, they know where you are.
No tricky numbers, just three simple words produced from a simple free app.

......... and it's quirky and fun too ........ but I've already said that! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

[quote="Mick F" free app.

......... and it's quirky and fun too ........ :lol:[/quote]

Free,quirky, fun....sounds like a good place to go on a bank holiday monday, I wonder where it is ?
Nu-Fogey
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Hmm, I've had a look at What3Words. From what I see I will suggest that its totally created for an anglophone user base.

How memorable or useful are the 3 words to a non-English speaker?

Maybe if we keep saying the 3 words slowly enough and loudly enough the foreigners will understand?
geomannie