What3words

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: What3words

Postby Mick F » 22 Aug 2019, 3:35pm

The problem, as I said, is that you have to let it settle, and then tap the arrow, so the triple updates.
The original triplet stays, until you tap the arrow.

My problem then, was that I didn't look at the map and query it.
I'll be out riding tomorrow morning, and I'll repeat the experiment, but I'll know what I'm doing this time.

Not sure where I'm going as yet, but I'll be staying this side of the border no doubt. My weekly visa for England has run out.
Mick F. Cornwall

mjr

Postby mjr » 22 Aug 2019, 3:47pm

Mick F wrote:RM refused.
They said the postcodes belong to them and they're for their use and if other people want to use them and they don't work for them, then tough titty ........ or words to that effect. They own them, and that's that. Sod off.

Now try getting a different 3 words for your house from W3W to any neighbour in the same square as your front door? They used to sell them and now it's tough.

By using W3W, you are perpetuating the problem you had with postcodes but worse in some ways and not as bad in others. A lot of us did a lot of work to get the UK postcode database opened up - please don't repeat past mistakes and saddle the world with a new version of the problem, except this time with a more aggressive owner who has used legal action that the Royal Mail never tried to stop people trying to repeat the reverse-engineering and similar methods used to discover postcodes. Example https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/mas ... t3words.md
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

flat tyre

Postby flat tyre » 22 Aug 2019, 4:16pm

Unless I've misunderstood, I can't see what this app does that is not already available via good old-fashioned latitude and longitude. If you have a smart phone and, for example google maps then it gives you your position using conventional coordinates. Of course someone would stand to make a lot of money if they can persuade people to use the w3w instead.

NetworkMan

Postby NetworkMan » 22 Aug 2019, 4:46pm

flat tyre wrote:Unless I've misunderstood, I can't see what this app does that is not already available via good old-fashioned latitude and longitude. If you have a smart phone and, for example google maps then it gives you your position using conventional coordinates. Of course someone would stand to make a lot of money if they can persuade people to use the w3w instead.

Nothing I can see except that some people might find three words easier to use. Personally I'd find them rather unwieldy compared with mapcodes for example.

NetworkMan

Postby NetworkMan » 22 Aug 2019, 5:03pm

Mick F wrote:
NetworkMan wrote:Neat idea!
Let loads of people encrypt their location for no charge and then charge the emergency services and others to decrypt it!
Where do you get this idea from?

I use the free app, and text my triplet to whomever I want.
They put the triplet into the free W3W website, and they can see where I am.

:D

It might be free of charge for you to use at the moment but because the algorithm is patented and the word list either secret or licensed you have to use an app or website over which you have no control. They can charge in the future, change the design so you have to pay money to continue to use it etc. etc. Apparently commercial organisations have to pay for the SDK if they want to use the system already. You shouldn't be surprised there is money involved - it's a commercial organisation.

Conversely if the system were open anyone could use it and anyone could build a website or app using it. My sister has an Apple Mac and sometime ago Apple discontinued one of their drawing packages so that my sister now finds it impossible to 'open' her drawings. If that software or the algorithms had been open source that wouldn't have happened.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 22 Aug 2019, 5:53pm

At the moment, it is free of charge. Long may it continue. It's fun and it's free :D Use it!

It's the same for everything free.
Someone somewhere is making money. Nothing is free in life.
Mick F. Cornwall

mjr

Postby mjr » 22 Aug 2019, 5:59pm

Mick F wrote:At the moment, it is free of charge. Long may it continue. It's fun and it's free :D Use it!

Please don't use it. It's not free for everyone.

Mick F wrote:It's the same for everything free.
Someone somewhere is making money. Nothing is free in life.

Who's making money out of latitude and longitude?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 22 Aug 2019, 6:07pm

mjr wrote:Please don't use it. It's not free for everyone.
Who's paying and why?

mjr wrote:Who's making money out of latitude and longitude?
They did, back in the olden days.
Latitude may have been free by looking at the noon-day sun, but someone had to do the leg-work to work it all out.
Longitude?
Have you read about it?
Huge issues until someone produced a chronometer that would work at sea.
Harrison probably didn't make much dosh, but loadsa people did meanwhile and since.

Try navigation without knowing the time. Free now, but it never used to be.
Mick F. Cornwall

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 22 Aug 2019, 6:12pm

Who's paying for w3w? Mongol Post for one. And everyone who uses it on a commercial basis.

The same is true of postcodes. They no longer belong to Royal Mail, they were sold off with it and belong to whoever it was that bought it. The government then spent £5 billion recreating a parallel identical postcode system so that government (and we) could use postcodes without paying licence fees. (I think it's a bit more complicated than that but that's the rough idea.)

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 22 Aug 2019, 7:29pm

Mongol Post?
Do they deliver round here?
Somehow I doubt it very much.

We get DPD, Royal Mail, Hermes, Parcel Force, UPS, Fedex ............ etc .......................... never Mongol Post.
Mick F. Cornwall

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 22 Aug 2019, 9:02pm

Mick F wrote:Mongol Post?
Do they deliver round here?
Somehow I doubt it very much.

We get DPD, Royal Mail, Hermes, Parcel Force, UPS, Fedex ............ etc .......................... never Mongol Post.

They only deliver Yak Milk or meat

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 23 Aug 2019, 7:07am

What is W3W actually for?

I heard on the news, and also read of someone being lost and using it so people could find them.
That's what I want it for. That's what's good about it. And it's free.

Houses have addresses, so postal people can find them. Post codes aren't actually needed, all it does is make it simpler.
Mick F. Cornwall

mjr

Postby mjr » 23 Aug 2019, 7:13am

Mick F wrote:And it's free.

Oh look, this isn't an argument! An argument isn't just contradiction. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition. Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says. I've had enough of this!

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 23 Aug 2019, 9:00am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 23 Aug 2019, 10:09am

Let's see if Mick F can get his location right today!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
[color=#FF0000][/color]