Waterloo Bridge

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
RobertG

Waterloo Bridge

Postby RobertG » 19 Aug 2019, 7:48pm

Question please.
I cycle from Waterloo station to the East End. I leave Waterloo and go across Waterloo Bridge. After crossing the bridge over river I get off and walk down the stairs to the embankment cycle lane. Can anyone recommend a safe route from Waterloo station to the embankment cycle route without having to go down the stairs at the north side of Waterloo Bridge please?
Thank you
Robert

simonhill

Re: Waterloo Bridge

Postby simonhill » 19 Aug 2019, 9:35pm

Have a look at mjr post a few down on this. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=130346&p=1360315&hilit=Waterloo#p1360315

Basically you head for Blackfriars Bridge with cycle path and then cycle directly onto Embankment path.

Did it after my French trip, easy except exiting a busy Wterloo.
Last edited by simonhill on 20 Aug 2019, 8:11am, edited 1 time in total.

LinusR

Postby LinusR » 19 Aug 2019, 9:54pm

RobertG wrote:Question please.
I cycle from Waterloo station to the East End. I leave Waterloo and go across Waterloo Bridge. After crossing the bridge over river I get off and walk down the stairs to the embankment cycle lane. Can anyone recommend a safe route from Waterloo station to the embankment cycle route without having to go down the stairs at the north side of Waterloo Bridge please?
Thank you
Robert

Instead of going down the stairs carry on and take the first left on to Strand and then left again on to Savoy Street and head down to the junction with the Embankment, cross over to join the track.

mjr

Postby mjr » 20 Aug 2019, 9:44am

Yes, LinusR's route is shorter if you just want the embankment cycleway. I didn't include it in my list because it only works leaving Waterloo due to the no right turn onto the Strand, plus it's little shorter for most destinations than either Westminster Bridge or Blackfriars Bridge.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.