New Pump

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dexter9

New Pump

Post by Dexter9 »

I'm looking for a new bike pump, the last one I bought was 50yrs ago! :shock: :shock:
There are so many now.
Can anyone recommend one I can buy for £15 -£20 ish?
I believe many don't show an accurate tyre pressure.
Bmblbzzz

Re: New Pump

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Are you after a track pump, a big one to keep at home, which usually has an accurate pressure gauge, or a pump to keep on/with the bike in case of punctures?
If the former, there are loads, I'm happy with my Topeak Joe Blow: https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-m ... gJskfD_BwE

For a pump to keep on the bike, you have a choice of frame-fitting pump such as Zefal HPX: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/size- ... ump-black/
Or a mini-pump which you can put in a pannier/saddlebag or possibly even jersey pocket. Some of these have gauges but they should be considered roughly indicative not accurate. General rule is the larger the pump, the more efficient and easier to use it is. So a frame fitting pump works better than a mini-pump but has the downside of risk of getting stolen - depends where you park the bike.
pwa

Post by pwa »

+1 for Joe Blow to keep in the garage and a Zefal HPX for the bike frame, if it will fit. Save the gauge for fine tuning at home.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

I have a "pump pip" on the head tube of my bike for an under top tube pump but not on the seat tube - will these Zefal frame fit pumps still fit - do they have a hole in one end to locate on the pip?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Telescoping mini-pump for occasional on-the-road use. Giyo are good IMO, often sold under other brands (including Revolution and the evil Specialized). Yes, a frame-fit pump will be quicker, but a telescoping pump can be left in a bag and not get stolen when parked.

If buying a track pump for home, I'd go for a SKS Airworx which you might find under £20 if you shop around. Otherwise, the 115psi plastic-body SKS Air-X-press is £15 at Decathlon.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

steady eddy wrote:I have a "pump pip" on the head tube of my bike for an under top tube pump but not on the seat tube - will these Zefal frame fit pumps still fit - do they have a hole in one end to locate on the pip?

Yes, you only need one pip.

Unless you're Gladys Knight... :D
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Thanks Bmblbzzz
slowster

Post by slowster »

steady eddy wrote:I have a "pump pip" on the head tube of my bike for an under top tube pump but not on the seat tube - will these Zefal frame fit pumps still fit - do they have a hole in one end to locate on the pip?

The Zefal HPX only has a dimple for a pump pip in the top of the handle. Consequently you would only be able to mount a Zefal HPX with the bottom of the pump in the junction of the seat tube and top tube, and it has a rather angular protruding valve lever on which I think you would run the risk of catching the inside of your thighs or shorts.

I would suggest a Topeak Road Master Blaster instead if you want to fit it under the top tube. It has dimples at both ends so you can position it whichever way round you prefer. Its valve lever also lies quite flush against the barrel compared to the Zefal, so it might not even matter which way round you fitted the pump.
Last edited by slowster on 23 Aug 2019, 12:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

My HPX does not fit under the top tube via the pip.

It appears to be too large a diameter than pumps were towards 30 yrs ago when my frame was built. So in practice the pip is too close to the top tube. Rather annoying if I want to use two water bottles, otherwise no problem fitting the pump along the seat tube.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Bmblbzzz wrote:

Yes, you only need one pip.

Unless you're Gladys Knight... :D

I add a wrap od double sided hook and loop tape at each end for added security.

Mike
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

The Zefal HPX only has a dimple for a pump pip in the top of the handle. Consequently you would only be able to mount a Zefal HPX with the bottom of the pump in the junction of the seat tube and top tube, and it has a rather angular protruding valve lever on which I think you would run the risk of catching the inside of your thighs or shorts.

I don't have a pump peg on my bikes, (spa audax steel, xacdt itanium, Dolan Dual carbon fibre)
and can fit a zefal hpx (size 3 or 4) on them without the pump interfering with my thighs or shorts.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

De Sisti wrote:

I don't have a pump peg on my bikes, (spa audax steel, xacdt itanium, Dolan Dual carbon fibre)
and can fit a zefal hpx (size 3 or 4) on them without the pump interfering with my thighs or shorts.

Mate, you must have thighs like Reg Harris!

Mike
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Are you after a track pump, a big one to keep at home, which usually has an accurate pressure gauge, or a pump to keep on/with the bike in case of punctures?

You need both really. I have a small Zefal pump which fits in a bumbag, in case of punctures out on the road. It will get you home, but can't achieve the recommended pressure, for which you really need a track pump. Otherwise your tyres will wear out a lot quicker, and rolling resistance will be higher.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you have a pump like an HPX, you don't really need a track pump. Its nice to have one, but it isn't really necessary; if my HPX is to hand, I won't bother walking even ten yards to get my track pump out.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Mike_Ayling wrote:Mate, you must have thighs like Reg Harris!

Mike

:?: