Modern bicycles...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Spinners

Re: Modern bicycles...

Post by Spinners »

I don't like the fact that it's getting more and more difficult to buy a new road bike that doesn't have disc brakes, doesn't have a press-fit bottom bracket and doesn't have 'fashionable' lowered seat stays.

I've nothing against any of those three things but I'd rather like a bit more choice!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Is it because bike shops are stocking trendy bikes?
I do have press fit BB bearings but so far they have outlived some of my threaded ones and one piece BBs.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

gxaustin wrote:Is it because bike shops are stocking trendy bikes?
I do have press fit BB bearings but so far they have outlived some of my threaded ones and one piece BBs.

As always, it is the bike manufacturers who are dictating trends... and I get that.

FWIW my LBS owner is less than impressed with press fit and on an earlier visit one of my clubmates was taking his road bike in for press fit squeeks.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
willcee

Post by willcee »

plus1 , many other LBS's will agree, a way of manufacturers saving money on machining threading and fitting decent alloy or steel shells in any composite frame. and creating a monstrous wide shell to house outboard brgs which they claim stiffens up the twist on the frame when putting high wattage through the pedals... longevity was never considered imv..I wouldn't have one about me..squeak and creak city....will
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

willcee wrote:plus1 , many other LBS's will agree, a way of manufacturers saving money on machining threading and fitting decent alloy or steel shells in any composite frame. and creating a monstrous wide shell to house outboard brgs which they claim stiffens up the twist on the frame when putting high wattage through the pedals... longevity was never considered imv..I wouldn't have one about me..squeak and creak city....will

And they are ugly!
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Get a bespoke steel framed machine.

John.