The best full-suss mountain bike for £2000 . . . .

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jimbob1000red

The best full-suss mountain bike for £2000 . . . .

Post by Jimbob1000red »

Hi have not done a lot of mountain biking for 20 years but last weekend did a trail in betws y coed on my marlin 5 , first time in years I've felt alive , my problem is I want more of that feeling and don't think my marlin 5 will stand up to much more punishment . So I've decided on a full suspension with a maximum budget of £2000, I'm searching the internet and when I think I found one I like some where else says they are crap . Please could you point me in right direction of a bike that will last and best value for money . Any help is welcome

Thanks
Last edited by Graham on 26 Aug 2019, 8:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
zenitb

Re: Help my heads spinning

Post by zenitb »

maybe hire a few current bikes first and see what works for you. Go to your nearest trail centre and see what they have??
Jimbob1000red

Re: The best full-suss mountain bike for £2000 . . . .

Post by Jimbob1000red »

Hi I'm looking at trek top fuel 8 , trek slash 8 or giant trance 2 , Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks
Jimbob1000red

Which bike

Post by Jimbob1000red »

Need to choose one of three bikes

Trek slash8
Trek top fuel 8
Giant trance 2
Which one is best for trail riding in north wales? Any help welcome
Thanks
MarcusT

Re: Which bike

Post by MarcusT »

Those are some high end bikes. Perhaps going to a more specialized forum like MTBR would get you more results.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Vorpal

Re: Which bike

Post by Vorpal »

Try riding them and which one you like best?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
drossall

Post by drossall »

I think that, as you've discovered, the problem is that different people have different opinions, and there is no "best bike". If there were, the other manufacturers would be out of business by now! There is only a best bike for your particular requirements, and your personal preferences, and we don't know anything about those.

Trying to get a test ride on some of them is really good advice. And try to read the reviews you've seen with an eye for why the reviewer likes, or doesn't, a particular bike, and whether that relates to what you want.

Or try joining a local mountain biking group, and talking to owners of various bikes.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I would try the STW forum because it is more MTB oriented than this one.
[url]
https://singletrackworld.com/forum/forum/bike-forum/[/url]
Paulatic

Re: Help my heads spinning

Post by Paulatic »

zenitb wrote:maybe hire a few current bikes first and see what works for you. Go to your nearest trail centre and see what they have??

This is very good advice and something I did myself earlier this week.
I discovered they are totally different to those of the nineties. Slack head tube angles abound and getting an all day position to pedal in seems to be well down the list of priorities. As for weight I couldn’t believe how heavy they can be I couldn’t see myself lifting a lot of them over field gates.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jimbob1000red

Post by Jimbob1000red »

I got so stressed reading good v bad reviews I just got a Trek slash 8 , had a quick ride around the headland and it feels really good , hopefully I stay happy with it , thanks for the comments
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

If your anywhere near Rutland cycles you can go and try / hire one round the reservoir to see which one you like.

Cheers James

Ps just seen he's brought one! Ops!!