Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PH
Posts: 7515
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

Postby PH » 27 Aug 2019, 5:16pm

Mike Sales wrote:Perhaps we should include in these posts reporting cyclists acknowledging each other, or not, an indication of whereabouts the poster is reporting from.

Everyone waves
Reporting from the 1950s
This story is as old as me, there’s always been reports on how a bygone age was friendlier, I’ve never known it. People acknowledge those they consider themselves to have something in common with, which will vary between individuals. It’s mostly on a subconscious level, so nothing to get upset about.

Mike Sales
Posts: 3345
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

Postby Mike Sales » 27 Aug 2019, 5:26pm

PH wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:Perhaps we should include in these posts reporting cyclists acknowledging each other, or not, an indication of whereabouts the poster is reporting from.

Everyone waves
Reporting from the 1950s
This story is as old as me, there’s always been reports on how a bygone age was friendlier, I’ve never known it. People acknowledge those they consider themselves to have something in common with, which will vary between individuals. It’s mostly on a subconscious level, so nothing to get upset about.


I was not expressing any views, still less upset.
I think it might be interesting to try to gather data on regional differences, and perhaps, whilst we are at it, on the sort of road where riders wave, and the sort of rider who waves. It might move the discussion on a bit.

gbnz
Posts: 1578
Joined: 13 Sep 2008, 10:38am

Re: Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

Postby gbnz » 27 Aug 2019, 5:49pm

Oldjohnw wrote:What part of the world are you in? In the Borders where there is a confluence of six or seven national cycle routes we see hundreds of bike tourists from all over the UK and indeed the world. They are most friendly. They tend to share the pain, the thrill of the ride and a love of coffee. But lycra is pretty well absent.


27 miles south of Berwick and again there's next to none who don't nod/wave et al.

Even though there's a been a huge increase in lycra clad road cyclists in the space of ten years (NB. Though only within a 10-15 mile radius of town, further out they're rarely seen)

tatanab
Posts: 3768
Joined: 8 Feb 2007, 12:37pm

Re: Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

Postby tatanab » 27 Aug 2019, 5:56pm

Mike Sales wrote:and the sort of rider who waves.
How would you define the sort of rider? by his clothing at that time? By the superficial appearance of the machine?

There seems to me that there is a disproportionate opprobrium against so called "roadies". How does one define a "roadie"? Perhaps that rider in full team kit is riding a £200 "road bike" from a mail order company. Does that qualify? Or maybe the rider in baggy shorts is riding a £3k Colnago. This whole "roadie" thing is new and partly created by marketeers who sell any bike with drops and without mudguards as a "road bike". In my youth a road bike was what you used for riding road races or time trials, nothing else - certainly not as a commuter. Is that abhorred "roadie" also a track rider, a cycle tourist, a commuter i.e an all round cyclist? Does MickF become a "roadie" in the summer when he takes his mudguards off his Mercian?

As for this being a characteristic of new generation riders - in all aspects of cycling we have a couple of generations of people who have only got their information from the internet instead of riding with real people. We had the same to a lesser extent in the 70s/80s when people read books instead of riding with clubs.

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9512
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

Postby Cunobelin » 27 Aug 2019, 5:58pm

Never understood this

Why should I demand the attention of every person I come across?

I know that you are tired, halfway up Portsdown Hill, and another mile to go before you reach the top, but I DEMAND that you take the time and energy to wave cheerfully to me?

Really?

Mike Sales
Posts: 3345
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

Postby Mike Sales » 27 Aug 2019, 6:05pm

tatanab wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:and the sort of rider who waves.
How would you define the sort of rider? by his clothing at that time? By the superficial appearance of the machine?

There seems to me that there is a disproportionate opprobrium against so called "roadies". How does one define a "roadie"? Perhaps that rider in full team kit is riding a £200 "road bike" from a mail order company. Does that qualify? Or maybe the rider in baggy shorts is riding a £3k Colnago. This whole "roadie" thing is new and partly created by marketeers who sell any bike with drops and without mudguards as a "road bike". In my youth a road bike was what you used for riding road races or time trials, nothing else - certainly not as a commuter. Is that abhorred "roadie" also a track rider, a cycle tourist, a commuter i.e an all round cyclist? Does MickF become a "roadie" in the summer when he takes his mudguards off his Mercian?

As for this being a characteristic of new generation riders - in all aspects of cycling we have a couple of generations of people who have only got their information from the internet instead of riding with real people. We had the same to a lesser extent in the 70s/80s when people read books instead of riding with clubs.


There may be much in what you say.
Some observations would help in drawing accurate inferences.

Mike Sales
Posts: 3345
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

Postby Mike Sales » 27 Aug 2019, 6:06pm

Cunobelin wrote:Never understood this

Why should I demand the attention of every person I come across?

I know that you are tired, halfway up Portsdown Hill, and another mile to go before you reach the top, but I DEMAND that you take the time and energy to wave cheerfully to me?

Really?


I see wavers as being friendly, not demanding anything.

landsurfer
Posts: 4971
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

Postby landsurfer » 27 Aug 2019, 6:09pm

I tend to find that the greater the monetary value of the bike and clothing the less waving I get ... :)
The plastic frame and Rapha brigade do not seem to wave at us ordinary Cyclists with our t-shirts and helmet-less heads.
I suppose they are trying so hard to pretend to be pro's they haven't time for the rest of us .....
Maybe their £200 sunglasses edit us out of their vision ... :lol:
I passed 2 guys today in their "King of the Mountains" shirts on their super bikes, both on hills ... which made me laugh ... :D
The Road Goes On Forever ...

Ugly
Posts: 355
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 8:34am

Re: Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

Postby Ugly » 27 Aug 2019, 6:11pm

Out today in almost too sunny S Oxfordshire, 1968 Holdsworth Sturmey 4 speed wearing polo shirt and slightly baggy shorts and waves or words from the vast majority of rides, no more or less than when I'm on the Bianchi and wearing lycra

Mike Sales
Posts: 3345
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

Postby Mike Sales » 27 Aug 2019, 6:15pm

landsurfer wrote:I passed 2 guys today in their "King of the Mountains" shirts on their super bikes, both on hills ... which made me laugh ... :D


Wearing the polka dots is asking for ridicule if you can't ride accordingly.
I don't suppose they will leave their jerseys in the wardrobe in future, though.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 1832
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

Postby Oldjohnw » 27 Aug 2019, 6:15pm

gbnz wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:What part of the world are you in? In the Borders where there is a confluence of six or seven national cycle routes we see hundreds of bike tourists from all over the UK and indeed the world. They are most friendly. They tend to share the pain, the thrill of the ride and a love of coffee. But lycra is pretty well absent.


27 miles south of Berwick and again there's next to none who don't nod/wave et al.

Even though there's a been a huge increase in lycra clad road cyclists in the space of ten years (NB. Though only within a 10-15 mile radius of town, further out they're rarely seen)


You must see the same people as me. I am 5 miles west of Berwick.
John

Cycling and recycling

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 2196
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

Postby roubaixtuesday » 27 Aug 2019, 6:23pm

I find the quantity of complaints about others waving is in direct proportion to the degree of curmudgeoness* of the complainant, and entirely unrelated to either the clothing or steed of the potential waver.

* to use the technical term

IME countryside cyclists are invariably cheery; in towns more concerned with self preservation. This applies regardless of what either I or they are wearing or riding and even to larger groups at speed.

Shorter version: enough whinging already!

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46517
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

Postby Mick F » 27 Aug 2019, 6:49pm

Cunobelin wrote:Never understood this

Why should I demand the attention of every person I come across?

I know that you are tired, halfway up Portsdown Hill, and another mile to go before you reach the top, but I DEMAND that you take the time and energy to wave cheerfully to me?

Really?
Yes.
I've ridden up and down Portsdown Hill in all directions many times. Excellent rides, and I've waved and spoken to the (admittedly very few) cyclists that I met.
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 9512
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

Postby Cunobelin » 27 Aug 2019, 6:54pm

Mike Sales wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Never understood this

Why should I demand the attention of every person I come across?

I know that you are tired, halfway up Portsdown Hill, and another mile to go before you reach the top, but I DEMAND that you take the time and energy to wave cheerfully to me?

Really?


I see wavers as being friendly, not demanding anything.


The title and gist of the thread is a complaint about not being waved at, that implies a need for recognition and demand that is fulfilled.

Mike Sales
Posts: 3345
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

Postby Mike Sales » 27 Aug 2019, 6:59pm

Cunobelin wrote:The title and gist of the thread is a complaint about not being waved at, that implies a need for recognition and demand that is fulfilled.


The title is asking a question, not making a demand. What you see as the implication may not be what was meant.
Where I live people greet each other in the street. I see this as normal human sociability, not anything demanding.