Travelling by canal routes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
wylds

Travelling by canal routes

Postby wylds » 30 Aug 2019, 5:23am

Hello all from sunny staffordshire

I was wondering if there is any way of getting to the sea easily using canal tow paths ?

I would like wanted to pedal my way to blackpool as I no there's lots of little places along the coast up past Fleetwood etc where I can pop up a tarp for the night.
I was thinking of going along the Trent and Mersey till I got tired ..findin somewhere to wild camp for the night and then carrying on to the Leeds and Liverpool canal and going all the way up near the Lancaster canal .
Camping out as best I can along the way. Ive got a canal waterways key so can get water and take a wash etc at the water points

once I get to the Lancaster canal im thinkin ive gotta get off and go along roads etc ...or could I go upto morcombe an just come down the coast ..along the prom like to Fleetwood ?

just curious if anyones done anything similar ?....
dosnt need to be blackpool really the seas the sea lol

Antan1

Re: Travelling by canal routes

Postby Antan1 » 7 Sep 2019, 10:20am

Hi, Try this link
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-th ... ing-routes
I don't think you get all the way without going onroad.
Regards Rob
Cannondale SL4 MTB. Trek Checkpoint ALR5

nirakaro

Postby nirakaro » 7 Sep 2019, 12:15pm

In a perfect world, you'd follow the Leeds & Liverpool's Rufford branch to the sea-lock at Tarleton, then hitch a ride on a boat up the Ribble to Preston, where you can join the Lancaster canal. Failing that, you probably follow the L&L up to maybe Riley Green, then do a few miles on-road into Preston.
The Lancaster canal has a branch that runs down to the sea (more precisely the Lune estuary) at Glasson Dock. Decent campsite at Conder Green, and a couple of pubs. It's a pleasant ride from Glasson through Cockerham and Pilling to Knott End, where there's a cute little ferry (pedestrians and bikes) about two hundred yards across the mouth of the Wyre to Fleetwood. Interesting and varied, mostly traffic-free, ride down the coast from Fleetwood through Blackpool to St Annes and Lytham.

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 7 Sep 2019, 7:40pm

Campsite on Leeds Liverpool canal just past Skipton if that's any good.

Doubt they would change much for a tourer.

Cheers James