Rider weight limits?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pwa

Re: Rider weight limits?

Postby pwa » 31 Aug 2019, 5:17pm

It usually makes sense to let the bike carry the weight of baggage, rather than having it strapped to your shoulders. Even if it means a little extra weight.

David9694

Postby David9694 » 31 Aug 2019, 11:15pm

At age 43 I had an 11 mile cycle route from Dereham to Wymondham in Norfolk being the return journey from a ride on the Mid Norfolk railway: it took an hour and after that I was done in on the sofa for the rest of the day. Then someone promoted an organised commute into Norwich, where I was working, and even in the onset of winter that got me started riding at least one way different 11 miles with No Ill effects.

When I first started regular cycle commuting in Wiltshire, work was at the top of a hill at the end of a six mile ride - I had to change, swim for 15-20 mins and then change again: to begin with, I still hadn’t fully cooled down after all that time. That changed over the six years I did it.

You probably don’t want to hold on to a suspension bike. If however you measure the internal width of the wheel rims, there is a chart on the Sheldon Brown site (a top guru on this site, after Brucey of course) that shows the range of tyre widths you could run - the narrowest will probably be well above the “fast road” high pressure zone of 700 x 28 to 23 mm.

Cycling only hits certain muscles, so try to mix it with swimming and gym - weights and floor exercises, strengthen you pr core to avoid a range of back and side pain setting in when riding. You will still need to eat and certainly drink as your rides get longer. Fig rolls, bananas, flapjacks, a jam sandwich are among cyclists’ favourites.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 1 Sep 2019, 11:54pm

David9694 wrote:. You will still need to eat and certainly drink as your rides get longer. Fig rolls, bananas, flapjacks, a jam sandwich are among cyclists’ favourites.

And fruit cake!

Don't forget to find your local tea shops/National Trust cafes(if you're a member) - mugs of tea, scones & cakes 2/3 way through a ride work wonders, and you can burn them off easily enough!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

David9694

Postby David9694 » 2 Sep 2019, 10:11pm

Caravan sites, fishing lakes, village halls, garden centres, any tourist site.

Worst coffee ever was from a seasonal tea room - it was one of those Rombouts filter coffees from the 1970s, titchy with horrid capsule cream that dries your mouth, and not cheap. Best was at a fishing lake, might have been instant, came in a mug with real milk and cost £1.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 3 Sep 2019, 12:57am

MAs I've mentioned before, have ridden with a passenger plus my touring kit on my Specialized Globe Pro alu/carbon frame and with 32 spoke open pro/ultegra wheels, all up weight was in excess of 170kg.

I'd suggest something with a beefier carbon layup https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized- ... SwgdNdYWMf or one of the audax or flat bar carbon hybrid bikes, some of the V brake variants come up for not a whole heap of cash.

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 3 Sep 2019, 7:05am

As a transition how about a cheap hard tail or even rigid MTB? The latter are (unless rare and collectable) are nearly worthless. Get one from a skip or for a few quid from charity set up and take the best bits from your current bike, throwing in some new, near slick, sub 2" tyres. Winter is on its way and this would see you through with much more efficiency that the current bike and your weight will be coming off as well. In the spring you'll have less weight to worry about and will have had time to decide what you need. Modern "gravel" bikes can be quite cheap if you want drop bars.

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 3 Sep 2019, 8:23am

Something like a voodoo limba is a sturdy bike and Halfords will probably be discounting it soon.
It's a simple tough frame with disc brakes.
If anything breaks then just take it back and they are less likely to argue than a smaller shop might.

Cheers James

pwa

Postby pwa » 3 Sep 2019, 8:27am

I don't think the OP is so heavy that a hard tail MTB would be likely to fail under them. The only area of doubt is with very light road bikes.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 3 Sep 2019, 12:46pm

pwa wrote:I don't think the OP is so heavy that a hard tail MTB would be likely to fail under them. The only area of doubt is with very light road bikes.

very light to me is sub 6kg, I rode a principia Rex elipse at 107kg without any issues at all and using 22mm tubs, one of the local bike shop workshop guys is a good 18 stone and more, he has never had issues riding carbon and said plenty heavier coming through their doors don't either. They sell Trek for the most part.
Last edited by The utility cyclist on 3 Sep 2019, 12:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

pwa

Postby pwa » 3 Sep 2019, 12:51pm

The utility cyclist wrote:
pwa wrote:I don't think the OP is so heavy that a hard tail MTB would be likely to fail under them. The only area of doubt is with very light road bikes.

very light to me is sub 6kg, I rode a principia Rex eclipse at 107kg without any issues at all and using 22mm tubs.

Have you never had a dented wheel rim? I have. 25mm clinchers at about 90psi.

But there is a lot to be said for riding carefully, not going up curbs on narrow tyres, etc.

And the OP is losing weight and not far off what Trek claim to be the max for one of their road bikes, so for them this is ceasing to be an issue.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 3 Sep 2019, 1:07pm

pwa wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:

very light to me is sub 6kg, I rode a principia Rex eclipse at 107kg without any issues at all and using 22mm tubs.

Have you never had a dented wheel rim? I have. 25mm clinchers at about 90psi.

But there is a lot to be said for riding carefully, not going up curbs on narrow tyres, etc.

Nope, they were 38mm carbon tubulars, I avoid most potholes fairly easily, however I don't ride in groups which often seems to be a major problem for avoiding them. I rode 23mm clinchers up until 2009 on my commute/utility/tour bike, then went to 25s on that bike until 2012ish then 28/32.
mainly due to getting 28 folders at £7 each and using the 32 folders that came with new bike as opposed to buying more 25s, I can't say it's anymore comfortable tbh.
My race bikes always 22/23s.but I came into some nice shiny tubs with a 25 fitted and as my local countryroads are just a mess with chip and tar rubbish I've fitted a high end 27mm rear tub just to see how that compares, though still ride the 22s occasionally, again, and despite running 85/85 with the wider tubs I don't feel any more comfortable than the 22s.
Last edited by The utility cyclist on 3 Sep 2019, 1:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

pwa

Postby pwa » 3 Sep 2019, 1:16pm

I'm not all that keen on sticking to manufacturers' instructions, so if I were like the OP and just about getting down to the weight stipulated, I might risk it and just try to take care not to treat the wheels roughly. If I really wanted a light bike.

Darkman

Postby Darkman » 3 Sep 2019, 3:18pm

Hello!

Been shopping today and spotted a 2019 Specialized Rockhopper. Asked the guy in the shop and he said, "ah that's the last of the 2019 model and we've only got that one in stock. Size was Medium.

Anyway, while I was curled up in a ball on the floor, crying, this guy comes over and says to the shop guy, "sorry you were after a size XL? I think I can get you one".

Turns out I dropped in on the exact day that the Specialized rep was coming in! He made a call and said, "yep, I can have it here by Thursday".

My missus bought a Trek hybrid. She suffers with arthritis in her knees, back and shoulder so wanted something with a riding position that wouldn't put so much weight on her arms and the Trek bike was perfect for that. Narrower tyres too so she can still go on light trails, and better for road riding too.

We only do what I'd call "light offroad" just now so nothing that'll push either bike to it's limit.

Expensive morning, but pleased!

peetee

Postby peetee » 3 Sep 2019, 5:50pm

Re: plantar Fasciitus, I had been off my bike for 8 years and about 18 months ago developed this problem which all but eliminated walking any distance. I was always very lean but the lay off bought me up to a normal weight for my height but the weight increase took its toll and my job involved standing so the condition, not surprisingly, got worse.
In the last month my lifestyle has totally changed and I can get out on the bike. Just prior to that I fitted gel pads in my everyday shoes and started a course of condition-specific exercises.
my weight is still more than I would like but the discomfort has virtually gone.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 5 Sep 2019, 8:40am

Well done!