How to get a Jones bike in UK?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Scoobydoo

How to get a Jones bike in UK?

Postby Scoobydoo » 2 Sep 2019, 9:12am

Hi all,

I'm trying to purchase one of the new pre built Jones bikes, he now has two pre built versions Jones Plus SWB for about $1700 and the Jones Plus LWB for $2020.

Ive tried the known UK stockists that I'm aware of but they cant get them. I could buy direct but the freight and tax adds over $500 to the price!

Any ideas? Thanks for looking

djnotts

Re: How to get a Jones bike in UK?

Postby djnotts » 2 Sep 2019, 9:53am

Assume you've followd up on yesweareon.....web page of the UK and Europe importer? While Biff might get wholesale price, still be import and freight charges. I once wanted a Rivendell - freight and tax almost doubled the factory gate price!

Scoobydoo

Postby Scoobydoo » 2 Sep 2019, 5:05pm

Thanks for reply, Yep Ive been talking to Biff and others shown on his page, but still struggling. Keeping my eyes on selling sites and hoping maybe a UK retailer can start to access at least the pre builds Jones sells.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 2 Sep 2019, 5:26pm

TBH I think they're going to be overpriced for what you get.
Have you considered a Genesis Longitude with a Planet X Geoff handlebar?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Scoobydoo

Postby Scoobydoo » 2 Sep 2019, 5:43pm

Thanks, the appeal of the Jones is the very short reach that suits my particular requirements but I appreciate your train of thought

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 2 Sep 2019, 7:20pm

Bothy bikes in Aviemore had a Jones in last week. No idea if its worth asking them.

slowster

Postby slowster » 2 Sep 2019, 7:57pm

Scoobydoo wrote:I could buy direct but the freight and tax adds over $500 to the price!

If the UK distributor were to import them for retailers to sell in the UK, the price would probably be the same or higher than buying direct from Jeff Jones. The importer and retailers need to cover their costs of buying and selling the bikes and make some profit/pay their own wages as well.

I suspect that if the UK distributor did start to import them, the price might be higher than buying direct, and also that Jeff Jones might stop selling the bike direct to UK customers in order not to undercut his UK distributor and retailers.

When you say 'tax', have you included both VAT at 20% and import duty at 14%?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 2 Sep 2019, 8:18pm

Scoobydoo wrote:Thanks, the appeal of the Jones is the very short reach that suits my particular requirements but I appreciate your train of thought

Can you point me to a geometry table for the Jones bike you're interested in?
I cycle therefore I am.

Scoobydoo

Postby Scoobydoo » 2 Sep 2019, 9:29pm

Hi, thanks for the feedback. As you can probably tell I have no retail experience so just basing my comments on my personal experience so far. I appreciate the predicament and take on your explanation.
I guess there is not sufficient demand to import enough bikes to UK to make it cost effective. If I really want it will have to pay. The irony is I see Jeff Jones Taiwanese made complete factory bikes being shipped and supplied to US buyers for $95. Ah well, will keep looking!

Scoobydoo

Postby Scoobydoo » 2 Sep 2019, 9:36pm

Sorry reohn2, missed that question! This is what I was looking at

https://www.jonesbikes.com/jones-plus-l ... oth-tires/

slowster

Postby slowster » 2 Sep 2019, 11:00pm

A few comments:

1. The Pound has fallen significantly in value against the Dollar over the last couple of years. Depending upon what the exchange rate was when Jeff Jones' UK importer bought his last batch of frames, the current UK price of the frames might rise yet again.

2. Import duty on bike parts like frames is a lot less than on complete bikes (I think something like 4% vs 14%), which probably is a factor in the UK importer not stocking the complete bikes.

3. The standard frames are a bit lighter than the frames used in the complete bikes (one of the ways in which the cost of the complete bikes was kept down was not heat treating the frames, but that necessitated using thicker/heavier tubes to maintain the strength of the frames).

4. The frames come with the truss fork, which many consider one of the best features of the bikes, whereas the complete bikes come with a unicrown fork. Since you have linked to the smooth tyre version of the bike, maybe you would not prefer a truss fork.

There are a number of other bikes/frames which might give you some elements of what you are looking for, e.g. Shand Tam, Salsa Fargo, Genesis Vagabond. For example the Fargo has a short reach (but not as short as the Jones LWB), can take 3" tyres, and is a much lighter frame/fork than a Jones, but it has a much shorter wheelbase and chainstays and it is not rated for such hard off road riding as the Jones.

If you want a Jones LWB and nothing else will do, then I would suggest that you think about buying one of the frames already in the UK, and then hunt for bargain parts to build it up. That approach would probably be better value for money than buying a complete bike from the USA at current exchange rates plus VAT, import duty and shipping.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 2 Sep 2019, 11:39pm

Scoobydoo wrote:Sorry reohn2, missed that question! This is what I was looking at

https://www.jonesbikes.com/jones-plus-l ... oth-tires/

Yes I've seen that but there isn't full geometry figures,mainly the effect toptube is missing on the complete bikes.
FWIW I agree with Slowster,if nothing else but a Jones will do then you'll have to pay the price,but once again I'd put a plug in for the Genesis Longitude(I'm biased I own one :) ) which is a very similar bike to the Jones complete LWB version,lighter and better specced too :)
I cycle therefore I am.

slowster

Postby slowster » 3 Sep 2019, 8:52am

reohn2 wrote:Genesis Longitude [...] is a very similar bike to the Jones complete LWB version

The reach on the Longitude is around 4" more than the Jones LWB, and the OP has said that the short reach is one of their particular requirements.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 3 Sep 2019, 8:57am

slowster wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Genesis Longitude [...] is a very similar bike to the Jones complete LWB version

The reach on the Longitude is around 4" more than the Jones LWB Medium, and the OP has said that the short reach is one of their particular requirements.

Thanks for that.
It's just I couldn't find a full geometry table on the Jones site,4inch(10cm)is a lot and I'm quite upright on my medium Longitude with PX Jones copy 'bars with an 8cm stem.
I cycle therefore I am.

fausto copy

Postby fausto copy » 3 Sep 2019, 9:40am

Aye, but you're a lanky Lancy lad. :wink: