Pain on outside of foot

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Michelin

Pain on outside of foot

Postby Michelin » 3 Sep 2019, 2:26pm

I’ve not been on the bike for about 10weeks as my mother has been very ill and in hospital so been there virtually every day after work and no time to get on the bike . She is back home now and things are starting to get back to normal so I went out the other night. The next morning I had a pain on the outside of my left foot and it’s still there 3 days later causing me to limp a bit as full weight on it is uncomfortable. I did notice it was a bit uncomfortable after a few miles but thought it was only beecause I hadn’t been on the bike for so long. I did around 23 miles. Before I stopped I was doing around 100 miles a week every week sometimes more and all was fine. I wear sidi wire shoes which I did notice where not as comfy as my old cheaper Shimano shoes.
Anybody got any idea what this could be or is it just a case of getting back on the bike and after a few times it will be ok again

Darkman

Re: Pain on outside of foot

Postby Darkman » 3 Sep 2019, 3:38pm

Is it worse in the morning and eases up as you walk on it (though it never fully goes away)?

If so, could be plantar fasciitis. It's pretty common.

peetee

Re: Pain on outside of foot

Postby peetee » 3 Sep 2019, 5:39pm

I suspect you may have an imbalance in the muscle groups or shortening of some muscles due to you lay off from the bike. I suggest some stretches for all the muscles in the back of the legs would be a good place to start. The exercises to relieve the afore mentioned Plantar Fasciitus are shown on the internet and would be ideal.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.