Workstand

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Brucey

Re: Workstand

Postby Brucey » 5 Sep 2019, 9:43am

Mike_Ayling wrote: Re clamping frame tubes:
A fellow club member, now deceased would not hang his aluminium framed bike on a bike beak for fear of crusching the top tube.
I can understand that carbon fibre tubes are not designed for such stresses but
I have always balanced my steel frame bikes on the top tube and used very little pressure on the clamp so very little crushing pressure from the clamp involved.

the lightest and flimsiest tubes can indeed be crushed simply by clamping them. But by far and away the biggest cause of damage is by folk swinging like a chimp on pedal spanners, BB spanners etc whilst the bike is in a workstand. The vast majority of this damage is simply avoided by clamping the bike by the seat post not the top tube.

Folk (that mostly underestimate the risks involved) say "ooh the bike moves in the workstand" or "it won't sit horizontal" or " it doesn't seem very steady' etc etc but that just underlines the fact that they don't really understand how to use a workstand safely. Professional bike mechanics will only clamp/rest bikes by the top tube if they are adjusting the gears or something; for anything else they clamp the seat post. In use the clamps are rarely done up very tightly; they usually want the bike to move in the workstand before it is liable to be damaged. In this respect even the cheapest and nastiest workstand will exert the same forces as those routinely used by professional mechanics and is therefore arguably safer (in unskilled hands) than a 'more stable/robust' one. Mostly if the bike is wanting to move or the workstand fall over, you are using it wrongly, simple as that.

One tip I do have for users of some workstands is that if the reach is adjustable, adjust it so that the LH pedal only just clears the upright, and have the tool tray facing away from you. This will make the stand as stable as possible. If the bike is a relatively heavy one, it isn't a bad idea to remove the LH pedal and again adjust the reach accordingly.

For routine fettling a workstand is a time-saver; a bike can be cleaned and adjusted more easily. Even if you do this fairly assiduously (say once every 500 miles) you might spend about 20 minutes in the workstand for every ~30 hours on the bike, i.e. the bike spends only ~1% of the time in the workstand. Accordingly it simply isn't worth spending a fortune on an expensive workstand if something else will do. Plenty of experienced cyclists and even bike workshops don't have conventional workstands; they use 'something else' instead.

If you are going to have a workstand in a typical domestic setting, I'd suggest that a) you might want to prioritise light weight (so it can be moved easily) and ease of folding (for storage) ahead of pretty much everything else and b) you learn how to use the thing properly before you break something.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

helijohn

Postby helijohn » 5 Sep 2019, 9:52am

Brucey wrote:
If you are going to have a workstand in a typical domestic setting, I'd suggest that a) you might want to prioritise light weight (so it can be moved easily) and ease of folding (for storage) ahead of pretty much everything else and b) you learn how to use the thing properly before you break something.

cheers

I see some stands come with a rod to run from saddle tube to handlebar stem and the stand uses this to take the weight.

keyboardmonkey

Postby keyboardmonkey » 5 Sep 2019, 10:03am

helijohn wrote:...I don't want to spend a lot today and I need to be sure I can hang a folding bike successfully. :wink:

If the QR collar can be snugged up enough to take the weight of an adult rider it should surely be sufficient to prevent the rest of the bike sliding off the seat post when fastened in the stand’s clamp. Is that your concern? I’ve built folding e-bikes clamped by the seat post held in place by nothing more than a QR collar using the Halfords type workstand.

FWIW here’s my folder in my (discontinued) Park Tool PCS-10.

1A834FB2-883E-44E7-A95C-9E6973ACF192.jpeg

This type is substantial, but pricey. (The PCS-10 is often even more expensive than the PCS-10.2 that replaced it.) You could look for a secondhand one, but I think you’d be fine with the sub £40 models linked to above.

helijohn

Postby helijohn » 5 Sep 2019, 10:23am

keyboardmonkey wrote:
helijohn wrote:...I don't want to spend a lot today and I need to be sure I can hang a folding bike successfully. :wink:

This type is substantial, but pricey. I think you’d be fine with the sub £40 models linked to above.

That set up is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. If I can achieve that with this stand then I will be happy.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable-F ... 0009.m1982

keyboardmonkey

Postby keyboardmonkey » 5 Sep 2019, 10:37am

helijohn wrote:
keyboardmonkey wrote:

This type is substantial, but pricey. I think you’d be fine with the sub £40 models linked to above.

That set up is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. If I can achieve that with this stand then I will be happy.

Let us know how you get on?

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 5 Sep 2019, 11:00am

helijohn wrote:
Sweep wrote:I have one of these.

https://www.merlincycles.com/bike-tools ... source=PHG

(Distrust that touted original price)

Available under several labels - mine is branded Edinburgh bike co-op.
It's pretty good.

Looks nice and sturdy. I shied away from ones looking like camera tripods when I bought the one I have as I don't have much foot room. Don't suppose it makes any difference thinking about it now. :lol: I am not sure what to get apart from having spent a fair bit back in the day I don't want to spend a lot today and I need to be sure I can hang a folding bike successfully. :wink:

Yes it is pretty sturdy and I have had a brommie on it.

It also folds easily.

The Lidl stand is definitely sturdy but nowhere as near as fast to set up/take down. And it does have a full tripod stand so more cumbersome. I have to be careful not to trip on it.

The footprint is not a tripod which makes the base quite compact - I often use it in my relatively small and cluttered kitchen.

If interested, as i say, search around for the best price as it is sold under various labels - but all the same thing.
Sweep

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 5 Sep 2019, 11:18am

Sweep wrote:
The Lidl stand is definitely sturdy but nowhere as near as fast to set up/take down..

it depends how you store it of course; a single clamp means the base folds up and then it is immediately a tall thin thing that stands in a corner easily; if you can store it like this then it only takes a few seconds to stow it away. If you collapse it to its smallest size it does take a bit longer.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

helijohn

Postby helijohn » 13 Sep 2019, 12:24pm

keyboardmonkey wrote:. If I can achieve that with this stand then I will be happy.

Let us know how you get on?[/quote]

Time for an update. The stand was delivered next day!! I got to use it just recently while fitting a gear shifter lever and inner cable and wow, I love it. I hung the bike on the saddle tube with enough room to turn the pedals and it was as solid as a rock, really stable. Plus which the bike hung almost horizontally. I put some wood blocks on the four plastic feet to protect the plastic from the concrete floor.

keyboardmonkey

Postby keyboardmonkey » 13 Sep 2019, 12:42pm

I do like to hear how folk get on when they’ve posted a question. Result!