Folding bikes - good Brompton alternatives?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tangled Metal

Re: Folding bikes - good Brompton alternatives?

Postby Tangled Metal » 10 Sep 2019, 8:16am

Beg to differ! This forum isn't that classy and those who don't gossip are just not accepting the truth! :D

Besides it's really not gossip to discuss the ways tern have moved away from dahon designs. The gsd is a third example but are they really that different?

PS I've really only seen one tern bike, my dad has it for his motorhome. Round here you tend to only see cheaper halfords fingers with the odd brompton heading to Manchester on the early morning commute.

PH

Postby PH » 10 Sep 2019, 3:23pm

JakobW wrote:Airnimal. Not the kind of thing you'd want to break down every day.

I’m touring on an Airnimal Joey, it doesn’t give much away to a non folding tourer, packs small enough for train, coach or car boot, but as you say not something you’d want to be doing all the time.

PH

Postby PH » 10 Sep 2019, 3:27pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Airnimal and chameleon were the two bike brands I was thinking of but couldn't remember the names. Thanks!

To avoid confusion, Airnimal is the brand and Chameleon one of the models.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 10 Sep 2019, 3:55pm

As with any other bike, it depends on what you want it for.

Possible selection criteria for a folder:
-weight
-ease of folding
-easy to use bag or case
-folded size
-handling
-comfort
-ability to carry stuff (i.e. items for work, weekly shopping, etc.)
-reliability & maintenance (i.e. durability, type of components, etc.)

Someone who wants a train-friendly tourer will certainly make a different decision than someone who wants a commuter for destinations without cycle parking. And someone who wants to use a folder for teaching Bikeability will likely make a different decision than someone who wants a folder for once or twice per month commute to a different office.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 10 Sep 2019, 3:56pm

IMHO if you really want a Brompton, but cheaper, then you should buy a used Brompton.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 10 Sep 2019, 5:01pm

Vorpal wrote:As with any other bike, it depends on what you want it for.

Possible selection criteria for a folder:
-weight
-ease of folding
-easy to use bag or case
-folded size
-handling
-comfort
-ability to carry stuff (i.e. items for work, weekly shopping, etc.)
-reliability & maintenance (i.e. durability, type of components, etc.)

Someone who wants a train-friendly tourer will certainly make a different decision than someone who wants a commuter for destinations without cycle parking. And someone who wants to use a folder for teaching Bikeability will likely make a different decision than someone who wants a folder for once or twice per month commute to a different office.

+cost!!!!

Cheers James

rjb

Postby rjb » 10 Sep 2019, 5:05pm

At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 10 Sep 2019, 6:35pm

Jamesh wrote:
+cost!!!!

Cheers James

What's that to do with buying a bike? :wink: :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

PT1029

Postby PT1029 » 10 Sep 2019, 8:48pm

Not forgetting to consider how you secure it before you ride.
Dahons, Terns + clones clamp using a cam lever. Like wheel QR's you need to adjust the cam to clamp tightly. They do come out of adjustment, I'd say half the Dahons/Terns I see at work have been ridden with the folding clamps not tight (main frame/handle bar/stem clamp at h-set). Quiet often these have been loose for so long the frame interfaces have worn, and they never clamp securely again (so the joint flexes sideways). Recently I saw this on a nice looking electric model (Tern(?), but might have been a similar design), it cost the owner quite alot (£2k?). It was 3 months old, you could see the raised edges at the frame interfaces where it had been ridden loose and it wouldn't clamp tight.
Not necessarily a bad design, you just need to keep it adjusted properly.
Bromptons on the other hand you simply screw up the clamp tight, job done. If the hinges gets worn, my LBS tell me they supply the hinge pin in 3 sizes to fit worn hinges, that said, they said they'd never had to replace a Brompton folding hinge pin.

Avoid cheap folders, Apollo/Sunday supplement adverts etc, they are mechanically truly dreadful (folding, brakes, handling). I might grudgingly say good enough if you go caravanning for 2 weeks a year and you want something for riding to the camp site office to buy a news paper. I have had to repair/adjust these things that have been used for regular commuting....

drossall

Postby drossall » 12 Sep 2019, 9:12am

gaz wrote:Easy enough to pick up a pre-loved (as opposed to pre-abused) Dahon Speed/Vitesse (the basic steel/alu model) on ebay to give things a try out.

When I started commuting by train, I didn't want to pay for a Brompton, so I bought a second-hand Vitesse from our very reliable LBS. I liked it but, after three or four years, it failed at the weld by the main fold, and dumped me in the road. I've heard of one or two similar incidents, though lots of people are really happy with them and they are nice bikes to ride.

I've now got a (second-hand) Brompton!

I also have a Tern Verge X18, which truly does feel like a "real" road bike, for days when I feel like riding home instead of using the train.

photobike

Postby photobike » 12 Sep 2019, 10:15am

A used Mezzo is another possibility. Seem fairly cheap now. Like the Birdy the main frame beam dosen't split (a la Brompton). Components other than the folding related stuff are fairly standard and reasonably good e.g. Shimano 105 RD on my D10.