Frame id??

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Oldskoolwizzard

Frame id??

Post by Oldskoolwizzard »

Hi all, I recently acquired a nice old Road bike, headbadge previously removed, re-painted, and in need of repairs, all of which I'm happy to do, but would like to know at least what brand of cycle it is, and if so model too.
I have attached a couple of pictures for help in doing this, any ideas will be greatly appreciated, thanks wizz.
Attachments
IMG-20190907-WA0000.jpeg
IMG-20190907-WA0002.jpeg
IMG-20190907-WA0004.jpeg
IMG-20190907-WA0012.jpeg
Brucey

Re: Frame id??

Post by Brucey »

the BB looks like it might be a Raleigh 26tpi one. If so, this is both good and bad. Good because you have just identified the frame (although it could have been branded in a number of ways), bad because 26tpi bottom brackets are getting like hen's teeth and often they are accompanied by a non-standard shell width.

Best guess for now; (esp if 26tpi threaded) it may be a Raleigh-made Sun or Carlton from the early 1970s. The chainset is possibly a bit later than the frame. Both the chainset and the brakes will have date marks on them, and the brakes look like they match the estimated date for the frameset.

If there are two rivet holes in the head tube, the spacing often gives a clue as to which badge was originally affixed.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oldskoolwizzard

Cheers brucey for the information, not sure about bb yet, will get to that at some point, also there is a TI stamp on bottom of the bb, have read somewhere that this might denote it being Raleigh, but still not sure.

Any other information will be much appreciated, wizz.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I'm going to guess at a Carlton, sadly not too high up the range
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Oldskoolwizzard wrote:there is a TI stamp on bottom of the bb, have read somewhere that this might denote it being Raleigh

TI (Tube Investments) bought Raleigh in 1960
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

tim-b wrote:Hi
Regards
tim-b

Same guess - looks reminiscent of one I had with quite nice lugs, wrap over stays and also nothing exciting! Must be reasonable to assume TI is Tube Investments.
Oldskoolwizzard

Thanks for all your help, I think I'm going to make it a single cog job (sturmey archer 3speed) rat bike style, service and replace the moving parts that need it and just leave the paintwork as is. :!: :?:
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

tim-b wrote:Hi
Regards
tim-b

My guess - and certainly only a guess - is the same..............and I'd agree with tim-b.
That's only because I had one similar - it was destroyed by a motorist in 1970 (didn't do my leg much good, either).
This makes it earlier than Brucey's suggestion but not by much.
I remember that I bought it as a ready-built in 1965. Raleigh had fairly recently bought Carlton.
It didn't last long enough for me to change the BB.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Did it originally have an old simplex front changer. Or Campagnolo GS. The guide is not for a record Campagnolo. It is too far forward.
Late 60’s
Not simplex.
Oldskoolwizzard

Rear derailleur was a suntour vx, front derailleur was a shimano, shifters were suntour, wheels were alesa concave rims and maillard hubs, with a maillard 5 speed, stem is a GB hiduminium wedge type.

That's all it had. Thanks.