Electric Moped (EAPB)?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonhill

Electric Moped (EAPB)?

Post by simonhill »

Am I correct in thinking that an electric moped, without pedals, even though it is restricted to 25kph needs a licence, insurance helmet, etc?

I ask because someone who has one claims it is an eapb and says it is OK to ride with a bicycle helmet. Before I make a fool of myself, I would like confirmation by the knowledgeable folks here.

Interestingly while researching this I found this on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Bik ... 2566257017

To quote from the advert: "No driving licence required, no tax, no M.O.T, no parking fines or congestion charges, you do not need to register our bikes with DVLA!"
reohn2

Re: Electric Moped (EAPB)?

Post by reohn2 »

The one on Ebay has pedals.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Looking at the ebay advert pictures it does have pedals - but the description says they are removable! Leave the pedals on and I think that everything else is within the e-bike requirements. Willing to be corrected if I've missed something.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

The white one in the picture has the cranks and pedals removed.
Beauty will save the world.
hemo

Post by hemo »

simonhill wrote:Am I correct in thinking that an electric moped, without pedals, even though it is restricted to 25kph needs a licence, insurance helmet, etc?
"

Simply put Yes, it is a light moped Le1a classification.

The scooter with pedals needs type approval certification (SVA)if it has a full working throttle to be legal as I doubt it will be comfortable to pedal all the time. With out type approval (SVA) it is a illegal.

David Miall of Wisper Ebikes provides type approval for his Eapc's supplied with a full working throttle, cost is about £175 extra to be legal and each bike has to be assessed separately as you can't have a blanket (SVA) for a bike model.
Last edited by hemo on 10 Sep 2019, 6:29pm, edited 3 times in total.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Ooops, I didn't look closely enough at the advert, just grabbed it off eBay, sorry. Instead I was looking at a photo of the 'moped' ridden by the person* I was talking about, which does look like the white one.

I get the pedelec thing, but these mopeds must be very difficult to pedal for any length of time which is needed to get the electric power. Also if the pedals are removed, how do you get the power assist? (Edit I see from last post this is via an 'illegal' throttle.)

(NB *the person is someone who has written in to a magazine I get. His 'moped' looked much more moped than pedelec.)
hemo

Post by hemo »

On pedelec's there was someone who had one of these so called moped looking bikes and the police I believe refused to accept it as an ebike/eapc esp as it was ridden on the pavement, the user was warned if caught again of consequences.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Seen a few petrol engined "bicycles" locally in recent months. No problem in these parts, Notts police wont bother with such trivialities!
PH

Post by PH »

I know a couple of delivery riders using those like in the eBay link, they’re restricted to the right speed and they don’t operate unless the pedals are turned. Not that the pedalling would get you far, it function is only to enable the motor. The users like them, why not, it’s an electric vehicle that serves a purpose. I’d have no objection to the insistence on pedals being removed, I’m happier with that than the calls to increase the speed permitted.
set track

Post by set track »

is any forum cyclists own/use a e moped ?
if so please can we have a few more views or comments on the subject
with the government's electric vehicles policy no doubt battery's will improve .
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

set track wrote:is any forum cyclists own/use a e moped ?
with the government's electric vehicles policy no doubt battery's will improve .

Does the government have an electric vehicle policy?
John
set track

Post by set track »

Oldjohnw wrote:

I understood that petrol/fossil fuel vehicles had to be phased out , and
the popularity of electric cars is increasing .
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sorry, but I don't think you will have much joy on the escooter front here.

While there are a few members on this forum who have ebikes I doubt there are many if any with escooters. This is essentially a cycling forum for bicycles and sometimes electrically assisted cycles.

The Govt is trying to decarbonise, but that doesn't mean it is actively pursuing a policy on 2 wheeled emachines, plenty of which are illegal on UK roads or pavements.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

set track wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

I understood that petrol/fossil fuel vehicles had to be phased out , and
the popularity of electric cars is increasing .

The government certainly has a phase out target date but it doesn't appear to have any sort of idea how to get there. It still subsidises fossil fuel and builds roads. It opens coal mines. It supports fracking even if temporarily on hold. It makes no support to speak of of alternative energy or replacing gas boilers or home insulation, even with new builds.