Too many choices - which new bike ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
djnotts

Re: Too many choices - which new bike ?

Post by djnotts »

Vedz1B wrote:
djnotts wrote:FWIW, I have had my Trek FX longer than I have ever kept any bike - maybe a dozen others have come and gone in those 5 years! And it has been one of Trek's best and longest lived models! Mine has been much modified over time but the basics remain a functional and easy riding bike. Flat bars and generous clearances allow easy adaptation to mtb gearing if necessary.

I think that the TREK is the sensible choice. The Croix de Fer is amazing but expensive and slow from what i hear.
Which TREK would you recommend between the FX 1 Disc or FX 2 Disc? One difference that struck me between the two is the handlebar shape and length +4cm on the FX2. Am I right in think that the shorter the handlebar, the more upright the position?

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-2-disc/p/27991/?colorCode=bluedark

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-1-disc/p/27987/?colorCode=greydark

Personally, neither, but then I have an aversion to paying new prices! A big choice in used Trex FX series. Some nice ones on ebay at moment in 200 - 300 quid range (and plenty cheaper!). Nor would I choose discs (for this sort of bike) and certainly not internal cable routing. Whatever, go for a triple ring up front and 8 or, preferably, 9 at rear. But this is "just my view". Of the 2 you flag, I guess just the more expensive!
Vedz1B

Post by Vedz1B »

djnotts wrote:Nor would I choose discs (for this sort of bike) and certainly not internal cable routing

Interesting. Why?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

It may just be old age showing! However I have used hydraulic discs in very wet, tracks more like raging streams, conditions and fully agree that for such off-road use they are the best. I've heard too many noisy basic cable operated discs rubbing on Club rides to believe that they are more effective/easier to maintain than Vs for general use. As for internal routing, I'm going by instinct (surely easier to change externals) and comments from a good pro-mechanic friend.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Internal cable routing looks great, which is why people want it. But it is tricky to replace when you need new cables and sometimes it can have tight bends in cables that stop them working well. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Disc brakes can be very good and certainly tend to be better than most rim brakes in the wet. But good disc brakes tend to come on expensive bikes. Cheaper disc brakes will tend to be more of a challenge to keep working well and often end up rubbing noisily even when you are not using them.

The Trek bike being discussed looks fine to me for the price, though I'd not make any promises about the brakes without knowing more. The wide gear range and ability to take a rack and mudguards mean that it is almost a tourer, which is good. But do make sure you sit on it and ride it round for a bit before reaching for the card. If you don't sit well on it you will end up going slowly and uncomfortably. If the bars are a little too wide you can shorten them, by the way.

I doubt very much that a very fit and strong cyclist would go faster on the Trek FX than on a Croix de Fer, except for the fact that the CdF comes with off-road oriented tyres that apparently feel sluggish on tarmac. If the FX is quicker it will probably be due just to the tyres. But for your purposes the CdF probably lacks a really low gear for the hills. And it costs more.
Vedz1B

Post by Vedz1B »

I came across the Triban 500 that ticks a few boxes. However, i've read a few bad reviews on the Decathlon website mainly about the quality of the build.. any views on the matter?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-flat-bar-road-bike-black-id_8322664.html
tigerspill

Post by tigerspill »

Vedz1B wrote:I came across the Triban 500 that ticks a few boxes. However, i've read a few bad reviews on the Decathlon website mainly about the quality of the build.. any views on the matter?

Very interested in this thread as I am in the same boat.

I actually looked at the Triban in Decathalon yesterday. And I also looked at the Riverside which is a hybrid.

Most of my riding is on the street or paths - nothing off road. I wondered if the Triban tyres were too thin/fragile for bumping along city roads with pot holes and kerbs? The Riversides have slightly chunkier tyres. But then these might be harder going than the Triban.

What I can't make out is whether the Riverside has a more upright riding position than the Triban?

One question - do bigger wheels make the bike easier to pedal?

BTW I have been told that Decathalon bikes are fantastic value - much better than the big names. I was looking at the Riverside 120 at £169! Steel frame, but seemingly this can be an advantage in terms of comfort.

I am learning a lot, but need more help before spending cash.

I am using my VERY old mountain bike - A Dawes Surefire MTB. I replaced the tyres and tubes and added mudguards. So I am just going to ride this fo a bit while I decide.
Vedz1B

Post by Vedz1B »

tigerspill wrote:
Vedz1B wrote:I came across the Triban 500 that ticks a few boxes. However, i've read a few bad reviews on the Decathlon website mainly about the quality of the build.. any views on the matter?

Very interested in this thread as I am in the same boat.

I actually looked at the Triban in Decathalon yesterday. And I also looked at the Riverside which is a hybrid.

Most of my riding is on the street or paths - nothing off road. I wondered if the Triban tyres were too thin/fragile for bumping along city roads with pot holes and kerbs? The Riversides have slightly chunkier tyres. But then these might be harder going than the Triban.

What I can't make out is whether the Riverside has a more upright riding position than the Triban?

One question - do bigger wheels make the bike easier to pedal?

BTW I have been told that Decathalon bikes are fantastic value - much better than the big names. I was looking at the Riverside 120 at £169! Steel frame, but seemingly this can be an advantage in terms of comfort.

I am learning a lot, but need more help before spending cash.

I am using my VERY old mountain bike - A Dawes Surefire MTB. I replaced the tyres and tubes and added mudguards. So I am just going to ride this fo a bit while I decide.

I’ve been on a Riverside 120 and it wasn’t great to be honest. Felt low quality and the fork kept coming loose. The RC500 is nice but i’ve read one or two bad reviews. I think that the issues mentionned might be more to do the way the bike was prepared. Is it worth investing more on than an FX2 Disc for example?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

They sell so many if them that there may well be one or two which are badly put together / adjustedr. But a return to store or a tinker normally sorts it.

Cheers James
Vedz1B

Post by Vedz1B »

Jamesh wrote:They sell so many if them that there may well be one or two which are badly put together / adjustedr. But a return to store or a tinker normally sorts it.

Cheers James

Probably. Think I might look at the Specialized Sirrus which is the same price though.
tigerspill

Post by tigerspill »

Vedz1B wrote:
Jamesh wrote:They sell so many if them that there may well be one or two which are badly put together / adjustedr. But a return to store or a tinker normally sorts it.

Cheers James

Probably. Think I might look at the Specialized Sirrus which is the same price though.

Is the Sirrus a better bike than the Triban?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Pound-for-pound the Decathlon offer almost always trumps the big brands in terms of equipment.

OP, others have given some good advice on bikes/types of bikes which might suit you, and importantly which you might continue to ride long term. They will not tend to be 'flashy' or overtly fashionable modern bikes with steep frame angles, razor saddles, skinny tyres (although attitudes to those have changed recently) and 'sporting' positions & gearing. That's because, by and large members here ride often, and ride long, both in distance and duration, and longevity, iyswim :D
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Bonefishblues wrote:Pound-for-pound the Decathlon offer almost always trumps the big brands in terms of equipment.
...... OP, others have given some good advice on bikes/types of bikes which might suit you, and importantly which you might continue to ride long term. They will not tend to be 'flashy' or overtly fashionable modern bikes with steep frame angles, razor saddles, skinny tyres (although attitudes to those have changed recently) and 'sporting' positions & gearing. That's because, by and large members here ride often, and ride long, both in distance and duration, and longevity, iyswim :D

Yes indeed. It's also most important you try thoroughly in your size before you buy since almost all the bikes you can buy now (and Spa Cycles upthread is an exception) will have the steerer cut off short. This means that it is at best difficult and at worst impossible to get the handlebars significantly higher which with a bad back may be important. You may be able to fit a stem with a higher rise which will gain a little height but beyond that you'd need a new fork with a longer steerer. There may be extenders available but that's really a bodge on a new bike.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

What about Thorn various models might suit ring SJS cycles, they have
https://www.thorncycles.co.uk/
Made the Audax mkIII but there are many models and bespoke options.
NUKe

Post by NetworkMan »

I think the OP wants to spend well under £1000 and Thorns cheapest looks like almost £1400!
tigerspill

Post by tigerspill »

Bonefishblues wrote:Pound-for-pound the Decathlon offer almost always trumps the big brands in terms of equipment.

The one thing that struck me between the Sirrus and the Triban, was that the Sirrus seems to have significantly lower gearing; and that this is a very good thing for hills. But my knowledge is very limited and might be wrong here - and am more than happy to be corrected on this. Does the Sirrus also have more spokes.